Search Unity

Bug Unity 2021.3 not crunching textures

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by pradotech, Jul 21, 2022.

1. pradotech

pradotech

I upgraded my Android project from 2020.3.36 to 2021.3.6. One of the issues is that selecting "Use Crunch Compression" in texture settings does absolutely nothing.

Applying crunch in default tab (stays Compressed ETC2):
    not crunched.png

Overriding for Crunched ETC2 (expected compression size):
    crunched.png

As you can see in the images above, checking the crunch compression does absolutely nothing to the compression, instead leaving to regular compression.

I already used 2021.1 version with another prototype project, and the same happens to other platforms like Windows, where crunch compression only works by overriding the texture compression settings inside the specific platform tab.

This issue has greatly affected the build size. Can anyone help me solving this? It's not viable to override each texture, as the expected behaviour is that the crunch checkbox works properly.

Thanks for now.

EDIT: I noticed that this issue only happens to RGB textures. RGBA textures (with alpha channel) seems to be properly crunched just by checking the box.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  2. RaventurnPatrick

RaventurnPatrick

Hi I can confirm the same thing is happening for us - all rgb textures are "compressed" but never "crunched" for Android

3. HQF

HQF

Same issue here. 2021.3.20 still have same bug. No crunch compression happens when "use crunch compression" selected on textures.

4. Lupeni

Lupeni

Same bug here

5. RaventurnPatrick

RaventurnPatrick

You can use ATSC compression for Android instead (see project settings) - this will work and probably is a better idea than etc/etc2