Search Unity

Bug UNITY 2021.3.6f1 stuck for 10+minutes on Application.Tick AFTER saving specific scene.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Bdelcast, Jul 21, 2022.

1. Bdelcast

Bdelcast

*EDIT: I see this is a pretty universal unity issue. So I guess for now restarting unity is the way to go.

Hey everyone,
    I'm having a very inconvenient issue that happens almost every time I save a PARTICULAR scene of my project. This doesn't happen in any other scene and it's not a particularly large or complex scene.
    This also happens when I copy an animation clip or another asset when this scene is open, and it's not always exactly APPLICATION.TICK but it is the most common occurrence.
    upload_2022-7-21_18-1-54.png

Following some forum posts, I deleted my library, had it rebuild, removed the ODIN INSPECTOR, removed all PROBUILDER references, but it is still happening.
    There aren't any scripts that are unique to this scene, nothing in the way of editor errors or messages, and the general scene settings, like lighting and culling are identical to other scenes in the project.

This used to happen in some older 2019 version, and it hadn't happened again until now.

The other odd thing is that THIS HAPPENS AFTER SAVING, in fact it doesn't seem like the editor is busy at all. I can terminate the process and re-open unity, and all the changes are saved. This "workaround" is faster than waiting for 10+ minutes but this is still hardly a solution.

Does anyone have any idea about what could be happening here?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2022
  2. bjarkeck

bjarkeck

A) How big is the scene / .unity file itself? Big objects such as meshes / textures can sometimes accidentally be saved into a scene.

B) Debug it with Superluminal! Attach it while it's stuck, see what it's working on.

Bdelcast likes this.
  3. Bdelcast

Bdelcast

Hey, Thanks!
    The scene itself is 40MB, I tried to clean up most of the cache'd geometry and textures I could find. I stripped it down to the basic scripts and very minimal objects, and it's still giving me problems. The oddity is also that if I am in that scene, and I duplicate any asset in the folder view, it will also randomly hang. And this doesn't happen in any other scene.
    As I mentioned, I have a few scenes with the same objects/materials/ scripts/prefabs which are more than twice the size and they DONT seem to have any issues.

I will give superluminal a try. Have been looking at it and thinking about when it would be good to get the 14 day trial, this may be the moment.

Will report later ;)

bjarkeck likes this.
  4. StonehawkArchitect

StonehawkArchitect

And he never did :_(