Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Unity 2021.3.10 has massive Frame Pacing issue on Quest 2

Discussion in 'VR' started by ckohlmeyer, Nov 17, 2022.

1. ckohlmeyer

ckohlmeyer

We just updated our project from Unity 2020.3.4 (URP 10.4.0) to Unity 2021.3.10 (URP 12.1.7).

I'm generally see some big rendering speed improvements on 2021.3.10, so that's great.

The really big issue we're having however, is that no matter how smooth the performance metrics are, there is clearly a frame pacing issue happening.

This issue was not present in any previous version we used of 2020 or 2019.

The metrics confirm that the game is running smoothly, and not stressing the system at all. But you can visually observe mirco-stutters at all times when using smooth player movement (non-teleportation movement).

In the past, we never enabled Optimized Frame Pacing in the Android settings, but I attempted it in order to try to solve the problem. The results are a mixed bag. Generally, the frame delivery is smoother, paced correctly. But now it has a hard lurch every second or 2. It also can't adapt to a change in refresh rate (switching between 90hz and 72hz) without putting the headset to sleep and waking it back up again.

I can confirm that the issue is identical with OpenGLES3 and Vulkan.

This is a major issue for any Quest 2 developer. I worry that many wont notice the issue, while many of their players may start to report feeling sick and not knowing why.

kayke likes this.
  2. DanjelRicci

DanjelRicci

This has been a persistent problem with Unity 2021 + URP on Quest and so far we still don't have a solution, not sure if there is even an official acknowledgement of the issue and plans for fixing it sooner or later.

I tried moving from 2020 to 2021 multiple times during this year and the result was always the same: bad framerate on 2021, kept using 2020. So yeah my recommendation is to stick to 2020 for the time being.

3. DevDunk

DevDunk

If there is an issue like this make a bug report. If no one does, it simply won't get fixed for a while probably.
    The forums are not fully monitored for bugs

4. DanjelRicci

DanjelRicci

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  5. DevDunk

DevDunk

6. ckohlmeyer

ckohlmeyer

I should've done a bug report back in November. I'm going to do one now.
    To update on my testing. We've tried 2021.3.15, 2021.3.16, which we thought might solve it based on their changelog, and URP 12.1.8. We're not seeing any improvement to the behavior.

The mitigation we've currently settled upon is disabling any refresh rate commands. Unity defaults to 72hz on Quest, and we're just staying at 72 instead of increasing it to 80 or 90, like we'd prefer to.

This helps, but there are still intermittent stutters that we can't account for, that I suspect are related to this frame pacing issue. As though it's slipping out of sync every couple seconds.

tspk91, GameFinder, kayke and 2 others like this.