Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Unity 2021.2 regression: Handles disappearing

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Aka_ToolBuddy, Nov 20, 2021.

1. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

Hi

I have encountered until now three different serious regressions introduced by 2021.2, all handles related. I am surprised that (seemingly) no one is complaining about it over here. Am I missing something?

I draw a custom position handle for my Temp class. Here is the code for it:

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Runtime.CompilerServices;
    2. using UnityEditor;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. [CanEditMultipleObjects]
    6. [CustomEditor(typeof(Temp), true)]
    7. public class TempEditor : Editor
    8. {
    9.     protected virtual void OnSceneGUI()
    10.     {
    11.         Temp temp = (target as Temp);
    12.         Vector3 position = temp.transform.position;
    13.         float handleSize = HandleUtility.GetHandleSize(position);
    15.         Vector3 delta = Vector3.one * handleSize;
    17.         temp.transform.position = Handles.PositionHandle(position + delta, Quaternion.identity) - delta;
    19.     }
    20. }
    And here is the actual Temp class:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    3. public class Temp : MonoBehaviour
    4. {
    5. }
    If I select an instance of my class while using Unity 2021.2.0f1, both handles appear. If I do the same but using 2021.2.2f1, my custom handle is not displayed.

The other issues are all related to other methods of the Handles class, but for the sake of briefness, I discussed only Handles.PositionHandle. I did report all those bugs to Unity.

Any help is welcome

2. You do. 2021.2.3f1. And threads all over the forum about transform handles. Now, I haven't tried your specific case because I can't at the moment, but the lights and camera transform handles are fixed, I will assume your custom handle too. If your problem persists after upgrading to 2021.2.3f1, submit a proper bug report.

Aka_ToolBuddy likes this.
  3. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

Thanks a lot, the issue was indeed fixed in 2021.2.3f1.
    I thought about it and first read the release note, looking for an entry about a fix for handles, before reporting the bug to Unity, and found nothing.
    Thanks again

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  4. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

Only one of the three issues I witnessed is not yet fixed in 2021.2.3f1, which is the position of labels drawn using Handles.Label is different between 2021.1 and 2021.2. I reported the issue to Unity about a week ago, waiting for an answer.

5. pawelduda

pawelduda

@Aka_ToolBuddy Have you received any info? Can you provide a link to issue tracker?

6. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

No answer yet. Unity's customer support haven't created yet an issue on https://issuetracker.unity3d.com

Also, if this might help anyone, I have reported another issue, with no answer neither. It is also a regression introduced in Unity 2021.2, where you get the following message if you open an object selector from inside a custom window, under some circumstances:
    GUI Error: Invalid GUILayout state in <EditorWindowName> view. Verify that all layout Begin/End calls match

7. Aka_ToolBuddy

Aka_ToolBuddy

Last edited: Dec 2, 2021