Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Unity 2021.2 Grid snapping hot key?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by castor76, Nov 6, 2021.

1. castor76

castor76

Ok, I know there is toggle hotkey for grid snapping for Unity 2021.2 "/" which I can customize. But my question is not about that.

My question is, it used to be so that if I hold down ctrl key and move, it used grid snap value and temporally allowed to snap to whatever snapping interval value I set. But now it does not use my custom snap value and instead, it just seems to snap with 0.25 by default.

I could not find any way to set this 0.25 value anywhere.

I know I can toggle it, but it work so much better if I use ctrl hot key combination like it used to be.

What happened? Anyone knows?

2. You can change it here:
    screenshot.png

If you already hide this toolbar, you can get it back in the hamburger menu in the top-right corner of the scene view:
    screenshot1.png

3. castor76

castor76

I know about it and I did change it from 0.25 to say 0.03125 and it still snaps using 0.25

If I toggle it on and move, it uses 0.03125 but if I set it to off and use ctrl + move combination, it uses 0.25

4. That's strange, I changed the value to 1 in this window and my snap is 1 now. If I turn on the snap to grid button, then it is snapping by 1 regardless of the CTRL button. If I turn the snap button off, then it snaps only when I hold down the CTRL key and snapping by 1. If I change the value the snap amount is changing properly. So it is working for me (brand new project, purely for test purposes, so fairly empty). Something is buggy in your project. If you can't find anything it may cause it, you can try emptying your library folder. But please be aware, it means you will reimport all assets, so be mindful when you do it. (It is more for the random readers, as you're here since 2011 I'm pretty sure you know all of this :))

Also, double check that the linkage (the link button before the X) didn't turned off or you didn't turn it off. (So you're trying the proper axis... I accidentally turn it off sometimes and then wondering why it is not snapping on a particular axis)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2021
  5. castor76

castor76

Yeah it is strange indeed. I am using Unity 2021.2.1f1 Are you using that version of Unity 2021.1.0f1?

I also expect what you are experiencing, it was working like that before and it is pretty much common sense to do so, so I am not going crazy here.

My setting is :

upload_2021-11-6_17-49-10.png

And ctrl + move does not move it by 0.03125, but 0.25....

6. castor76

castor76

Also, I don't know where my setting for Z is... is it because I am using 2Drenderer? It can't be....

Edit : I found out what happened to my Z setting. I am using 4k monitor and using say 200% zoom factor for UI and I am thinking that Unity UI has bug where in this case, it does not display the Z value properly. Which is a minor bug on its own.

7. One button to the right. Check where my red arrow is pointing! :) You're setting the wrong one. Although IDK where your Z is, I think it should be there. I'm using 3D always. Let me create a 2D test project to check the window. I will update this post with the results.

So, here is how it works:
    - the grid snapping is only produce value for moving w/o the CTRL
    screenshot.png
    - the incremental snapping is doing the moving w/ the CTRL (here I only changed the X)
    screenshot1.png

I checked in a fresh 2D project, I can see the Z values just fine. Something is not right in your project.

I found your Z input box. It is there, but outside of the window. Turns out these input boxes where you type the numbers are growing with the width of the number you put in there. If you reset them to 1 or something, your Z should snap back (pun intended) to its place.
    I reported it here.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2021
  8. castor76

castor76

Ohhh.. Thanks. And thanks for reporting the ui issue.