Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2021.2: Dedicated Server target and stripping optimizations now live! Please share feedback!

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by UnityGio, Jul 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spitap

Spitap

What a fast answer ! thank you !! adding it to my script right away :)
    Even if it's not completely set, it would be nice to add it in the documentation, or have an in development page with a bunch of dev stuff :).

cristianm_unity likes this.
  2. Spitap

Spitap

HI, I've found a bug. I'll fill a bug report tomorrow, but here is a general description : If you try to open a project in batchmode with subsystem option (command used : ./Unity -batchmode -nographics -standaloneBuildSubtarget "Server" -projectPath "pathToProject/") it will do a core dump if library hasn't yet be built in the first time. It happens in 2021.2.5 as well as 2021.2.7. Here is the log https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/f5947a3f-cfd4-4484-8d2f-2f9ea751df18

Edit: Bug filled (Case 1392959).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  3. CDF

CDF

This looks very interesting.

How does the dedicated server build handle the Addressable asset system?
    If I'm building and loading addressables locally, does the dedicated server build also strip texture/vertex data from assets built by addressables?

if not, are there any plans to support that?

Vladnee likes this.
  4. Claytonious

Claytonious

I think they answered here already.

5. Claytonious

Claytonious

The dedicated server sub targets appear to have their own, separate scripting define symbols list in Player Settings now. However, it seems to ignore those. Builds appear to use the scripting define symbols which are set in the regular standalone build target section of player settings, instead. Are these separate define symbols supposed to work?

6. cristianm_unity

cristianm_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Claytonious!
    Yes, they are supposed to be independent. However we identified a bug where dedicated server is using some player settings of the standalone platform - including the scripting define symbols.
    It’s expected to be fixed in the next releases.

Claytonious likes this.
  7. Claytonious

Claytonious

That will make our builds much more convenient once that is working - thanks!

8. Claytonious

Claytonious

Does anyone know when Unity Cloud Build will support specifying this new subtarget in cloud builds?

9. iceb_

iceb_

Tested 2021.2.8 URP (same with all other versions of 2021.2) yesterday, build times to Windows player builds still super high compared to 2020.3, approximately 500-900% longer than 2020.3. Something to do with the shader stripping process. In 2020.3, it only takes 7 mins, but now in 2021.2 it is much longer.

10. KadirCrossX

KadirCrossX

It seems that the dedicated server builds (Windows build, haven't tried Linux build yet) compiled using Unity 2021.2.8f1 had all mesh colliders disabled or stripped away, convex or otherwise. Game objects that normally collide with them just simply pass through, and any triggers are not firing. Collision/triggers between box/sphere collider worked fine.
    Mesh collision/triggers still work in editor play mode.

Edit 1: just did some more debug logging, It seems that mesh colliders in the dedicated server build are indeed enabled and have correct attributes (eg isTrigger, isConvex, etc), but the problem still persists (ie the box/sphere collider game objects still simply go through mesh collider, mesh collider triggers not firing, etc).

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  11. ArjanBroosSioux

ArjanBroosSioux

@Claytonious Could you share how you worked around this issue, for now?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  12. cristianm_unity

cristianm_unity

Unity Technologies

@KadirCrossX, thanks for sharing that issue details, we are looking at it, but could you please report a bug and let me know the case number so we can properly track it? Cheers!

13. Claytonious

Claytonious

In case it is helpful to diagnose this more, we have not had this problem - physics is working fine in our dedicated server target builds so far. @KadirCrossX maybe we could compare a few settings to help find out why that's happening in your builds.

EDIT: Actually, it looks like our dedicated server builds *do* have the same problem that @KadirCrossX has described here, after all. The fact that primitive colliders (box and sphere, for example) were still working masked the problem for a while, but mesh colliders are not working in the dedicated server builds just as he described above.

@cristianm_unity do you know if there is a workaround for this in the current releases?

EDIT2: It looks like manually marking the meshes in question as read/write in their importer settings works for now as a workaround. @KadirCrossX , that might be a useful workaround for you, too, until this is fixed.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
    KadirZaini likes this.
  14. Claytonious

Claytonious

Very simply: our build script for dedicated server sets its own scripting define symbols before building, then resets them back after the build.

15. KadirCrossX

KadirCrossX

Alright, I've reported it. The case number is: 1399961

Huh, interesting. On our side, the bug happened even with the default player setting.

Here's imgur link containing a gif visualizing the problem and an image of the setting used to generate build: link

16. ArjanBroosSioux

ArjanBroosSioux

@cristianm_unity Could you share a bug ticket, so we can keep an eye on when it is fixed?

17. KadirCrossX

KadirCrossX

U̶p̶d̶a̶t̶e̶:̶ ̶N̶o̶t̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶l̶a̶t̶e̶d̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶r̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶d̶i̶c̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶s̶e̶r̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶b̶u̶i̶l̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶A̶m̶a̶z̶o̶n̶ ̶G̶a̶m̶e̶L̶i̶f̶t̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶a̶f̶f̶e̶c̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶M̶i̶c̶o̶s̶m̶o̶'̶s̶ ̶S̶e̶n̶s̶o̶r̶T̶o̶o̶l̶k̶i̶t̶ ̶(̶S̶e̶n̶s̶o̶r̶T̶o̶o̶l̶k̶i̶t̶ ̶(̶m̶i̶c̶o̶s̶m̶o̶.̶c̶o̶m̶)̶)̶,̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶s̶ ̶m̶e̶s̶h̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶l̶i̶d̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶n̶s̶o̶r̶s̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶n̶s̶o̶r̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶u̶s̶e̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶A̶I̶s̶.̶
    Screenshot 2022-02-08 105514.jpg

H̶o̶w̶e̶v̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶ ̶n̶o̶r̶m̶a̶l̶l̶y̶,̶ ̶i̶e̶ ̶d̶i̶r̶e̶c̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶M̶i̶r̶r̶o̶r̶'̶s̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶r̶t̶ ̶s̶e̶r̶v̶e̶r̶,̶ ̶s̶k̶i̶p̶p̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶G̶a̶m̶e̶L̶i̶f̶t̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶n̶s̶o̶r̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶d̶e̶t̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶b̶o̶x̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶l̶i̶d̶e̶r̶s̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶m̶e̶s̶h̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶l̶i̶d̶e̶r̶s̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶p̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶e̶n̶s̶o̶r̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶s̶e̶l̶f̶ ̶u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶m̶e̶s̶h̶ ̶c̶o̶l̶l̶i̶d̶e̶r̶s̶.̶

Edit 1: I added 3 seconds delay before creating AIs using Coroutine, and suddenly it worked again. Huh. So yeah, disregard the Amazon GameLift related bug.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2022
  18. hyouuu

hyouuu

This is our script to build Linux server:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. public static void BuildLinux()
    3. {
    4.     BuildPlayerOptions options = new BuildPlayerOptions();
    5.     options.scenes = new[] {"Assets/_Scenes/MainScene.unity"};
    6.     options.locationPathName = "Build/Server/linux/banban-server";
    7.     options.target = BuildTarget.StandaloneLinux64;
    8.     options.options = BuildOptions.EnableHeadlessMode;
    9.     BuildReport report = BuildPipeline.BuildPlayer(options);
    10.     BuildSummary summary = report.summary;
    11.     switch (summary.result)
    12.     {
    13.         case BuildResult.Succeeded:
    14.             Debug.Log("Build Linux succeeded with size: " + summary.totalSize + " bytes");
    15.             break;
    16.         case BuildResult.Failed:
    17.             Debug.Log("Build Linux failed");
    18.             break;
    19.         default:
    20.             Debug.Log("Build Linux unexpected result:" + summary.result);
    21.             break;
    22.     }
    23. }
    We're using Mirror and this script worked great on 2021.1.27, but after we upgrade to 2021.2.10, client would stuck when trying to connect to server. We're suspecting the Dedicated Server change caused the problem. Is there something we need to change in this script or somewhere else to get the dedicated server options correct like before?

Pleija likes this.
  19. hyouuu

hyouuu

20. cristianm_unity

cristianm_unity

Unity Technologies

@hyouuu, Dedicated Server changes didn't touch anything related to Networking directly, so I suspect the issue might be somewhere else (Like something related to the transport used). Do you think you could create a small reproduction project that we could look at? If so please report a bug with the BugReporter and let me know the case number; I will be happy to have a quick look.

Cheers!

21. Chimoru

Chimoru

@cristianm_unity are NavMeshes currently supported for Dedicated Server builds? From what I can tell, they are not. All the objects in my game which start on a NavMesh return this error when I call SetDestination (see screenshot). Whereas when I target any other build (Mac Standalone, iOS, etc.) the NavMeshes work just fine.

Attached Files:

22. cristianm_unity

cristianm_unity

Unity Technologies

@Chimoru , that sounds like a bug, could you please report it through the bug reporter? and let me know the case number so I can have a look.

Cheers!

23. Chimoru

Chimoru

Hi @cristianm_unity , I reported a bug. Case #1406770. Please take a look as I would like to use the server build for my game server to see if I can reduce overhead.

Thanks!

UnityGio and cristianm_unity like this.
  24. goldbug

goldbug

I built a dedicated server, and it seems to still be including a lot of unnecessary stuff. Here is the report from my build:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Textures               624.8 kb     2.0%
    2. Meshes                 7.9 mb     25.6%
    3. Animations             3.5 mb     11.4%
    4. Sounds                 6.3 mb     20.6%
    5. Shaders                905.2 kb     2.9%
    6. Other Assets           10.4 mb     33.7%
    7. Levels                 0.0 kb     0.0%
    8. Scripts                397.0 kb     1.3%
    9. Included DLLs          0.0 kb     0.0%
    10. File headers           826.4 kb     2.6%
    11. Total User Assets      30.8 mb     100.0%
    12. Complete build size    171.9 mb
    13. Used Assets and files from the Resources folder, sorted by uncompressed size:
    14. 777.3 kb     0.4% Assets/Props Animations/Animations/Idle3.fbx
    15. 502.7 kb     0.3% Assets/Props Animations/Animations/Idle2.fbx
    16. 495.8 kb     0.3% Assets/UI Toolkit/UnityThemes/UnityDefaultRuntimeTheme.tss
    17. 267.2 kb     0.2% Assets/GUI Kit The Stone/Fonts/Changa-Bold SDF.asset
    18. 266.6 kb     0.2% Assets/GUI Kit The Stone/Fonts/Changa-Medium SDF.asset
    19. 249.0 kb     0.1% Assets/MidiPlayer/Resources/SoundfontsDB/GeneralUser GS v1.471/GeneralUser GS v1.471_data.bytes
    20. 234.7 kb     0.1% Assets/Mindblocks/Terrain/structure/Resources/Desert/Hanging Gardens Of Babylon.asset
    21. 229.6 kb     0.1% Resources/unity_builtin_extra
    22. 190.4 kb     0.1% Assets/Mindblocks/Items/Resources/Ores/Diamond/Models/06_Palett.asset
    23. 184.2 kb     0.1% Assets/Mindblocks/Terrain/structure/Resources/Medieval/Castles/Purple Castle.asset
    24. 182.0 kb     0.1% Assets/Mindblocks/Terrain/generator/Resources/town.en.txt
    25. 181.7 kb     0.1% Assets/Mindblocks/Items/Resources/Ores/Diamond/Models/05_Chest.asset
    26. 174.5 kb     0.1% Assets/Props Animations/Animations/Idle.fbx
    27. 171.5 kb     0.1% Assets/Mindblocks/Terrain/structure/Resources/Japan/Castle.asset
    28. 168.7 kb     0.1% Assets/Mindblocks/Mobs/Mobs/Monsters/Dragon/Dragon.fbx
    29. 164.3 kb     0.1% Assets/Mindblocks/Skins/Resources/Cape/Dragon Wings/dragon_wings.fbx

There are 8 MB in meshes, 3.4 in animations, 600kb in textures, 6.3 MB in sounds, and another MB in fonts. None of this is needed on a server build.

all my fbx files and textures have read/write turned off.

25. KyleOlsen

KyleOlsen

Some servers require meshes and animations to still exist (think mesh colliders and most FPS games where animation is required for hit detection). Perhaps additional options can be added to change what exactly gets stripped, but automatically removing meshes and animation would be a mistake, imo.

cristianm_unity and goldbug like this.
  26. killers0992

killers0992

I tried building dedicated server and loading scenes takes much time idk if its about still existing textures/shaders or what, also while starting dedicated server i have logs about x shader is not supported on that gpu

27. lorddanger

lorddanger

I am also seeing the same thing

28. KadirZaini

KadirZaini

Oh my, thanks for the follow up, Ill try to implement the workaround.

Edit: Marking the meshes as read/write indeed works, wew.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2022
  29. -chris

-chris

Some observations when building a Dedicated Server with Unity 2021.2.16:

1. Files are still included that aren't needed

- SpriteAtlases still get generated and packed – waste of time and space.
    - PostProcessing shader variants are still compiled – waste of time and space.

From what I can tell, audio files, font files... things that are referenced in my scenes are included, even though they serve no purpose on a headless server.

Why are such file types included, and is there a way to not include them?

My client and server builds generally share a mix of the same scene types, though I try to put my music in a separate scene. But things like fonts for the UI, small audio clips, and sprites are still "referenced" even though they are not needed on the server.

A lot of cruft seems to get shoved into sharedassets0.assets.

For my SpriteAtlases, I have to manually click the checkmarks to not "Include in Build" for every build.

Is there a way to get rid of visual / audio / media / material / texture files? Like, some sort of extra Options flags to pass in to specify what file types to remove?

2. Scripting Define Symbols aren't scriptable
    Because there is no BuildTargetGroup for "Dedicated Server", PlayerSettings.SetScriptingDefineSymbolsForGroup only affects the regular "Windows, Mac, Linux settings" standalone player Scripting Define Symbols.

The "Dedicated Server settings" server Scripting Define Symbols seem unable to be modified via scripting...? Have to manually modify them using the Project Settings > Player GUI.

c8theino likes this.
  30. -chris

-chris

Also, this is ripe:

3. PlayerSettings.SetScriptingDefineSymbolsForGroup does not work if "Dedicated Server" is the platform

Can't use my scripts to set Scripting Define Symbols. Have to manually open the Build Settings tab, click on "Windows, Mac, Linux", click "Switch Platform", then can apply the Scripting Define Symbols.

This is a known issue for 2021.2, yet it's only fixed in 2022.1?!

Can this please be fixed for 2021.2.x?

31. onomei

onomei

Since updating to 2021.2.17 (from 2021.2.2) I'm no longer able to build for any Dedicated Server targets - in editor I see the following in Build Settings.

upload_2022-3-28_18-38-24.png

CI build also fails with "Error building Player: Currently selected scripting backend (Mono) is not installed."

In both cases, all modules have been installed via Unity Hub without error.

Any idea what's going on here?

32. NuclearCookieTF

NuclearCookieTF

You can do this using https://docs.unity3d.com/2021.2/Doc...PlayerSettings.SetScriptingDefineSymbols.html

33. NuclearCookieTF

NuclearCookieTF

Do you have an update on this case please?
    I know I can enable read/write but I don't want read/write to be enabled on the clients. Is there an elegant solution to toggle read/write on objects with meshcolliders only for dedicated server target?
    This seems like something that should be handled by Unity.

Additionally, shouldn't this be handled by https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/PlayerSettings-bakeCollisionMeshes.html ?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2022
  34. NuclearCookieTF

NuclearCookieTF

35. ArjanBroosSioux

ArjanBroosSioux

@cristianm_unity: Any update on this? Still seeing it in the 2021 LTS version.

The documentation mentions that scripting symbols won't switch when changing build targets, but fails to explain how to make sure the scripting symbols switch when building from script.

36. MartinTwinDrums

MartinTwinDrums

I am having the same issue, also with 2021.2.17/18/19 and also for the Mac OS X dedicated server build (and yes, they are installed)

It would be great if we could get some feedback on this, since it is blocking us in building dedicated servers.

37. MartinTwinDrums

MartinTwinDrums

I also tested 2021.3.0f1 with similar results.

"Error building Player: Currently selected scripting backend (Mono) is not installed."

upload_2022-4-14_14-39-13.png

38. -chris

-chris

Just tested upgrading from 2021.2.16 to 2021.2.19.

Have to go File > Build Settings > click Dedicated Server > click Switch Platform.

Switching platform via scripting does not work; builds fail with error:
    But after clicking the "Switch Platform" button, building via scripting then works.

Zer0Morph likes this.
  39. cristianm_unity

cristianm_unity

Unity Technologies

It has been fixed, but there is still what you mention about scripting symbols taking effect in the next reload. The best way to solve it is to switch to the target you want to build previously. So if you do this before building it should work:

Code (CSharp):
    1. EditorUserBuildSettings.SwitchActiveBuildTarget(NamedBuildTarget.Server, buildTarget);
    If it doesn't please share some details/code so we can take a closer look.

Cheers!

40. cristianm_unity

cristianm_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey @MartinTwinDrums , @-chris, I just tried switching and building build linux dedicated server in mac (installing only linux dedicated server module).

It seems to be working properly for me, so I must be missing something. If you could share some detailed steps I could follow to try to reproduce it, I'll be happy to take a look.

Cheers!

41. -chris

-chris

@cristianm_unity Thanks for sharing. Just done some testing.

This post was going to be about how there's no Server property in BuildTarget nor BuildTargetGroup for use when calling EditorUserBuildSettings.SwitchActiveBuildTarget.

But using your suggestion, the following overload works successfully:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. EditorUserBuildSettings.SwitchActiveBuildTarget(
    2.     NamedBuildTarget namedBuildTarget,
    3.     BuildTarget buildTarget
    4. );
    But why is this not in the SwitchActiveBuildTarget documentation? The only valid overload (supposedly) is to pass in a BuildTargetGroup, not a NamedBuildTarget.

Hidden knowledge coming out? o_O

I've adjusted my code to make switching work via scripting now; no longer have to click the Build Settings > Switch Platform button. Doing this also allows Scripting Define Symbols to be set as intended:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. static void SetBuildTargetAndSymbols (
    2.     BuildTargetGroup buildTargetGroup,
    3.     BuildTarget buildTarget,
    4.     StandaloneBuildSubtarget standaloneBuildSubtarget,
    5.     string scriptingDefineSymbols
    6. ) {
    7.     NamedBuildTarget namedBuildTarget;
    9.     if (standaloneBuildSubtarget == StandaloneBuildSubtarget.Server) {
    10.         namedBuildTarget = NamedBuildTarget.Server;
    11.     }
    12.     else {
    13.         switch (buildTargetGroup) {
    15.             case BuildTargetGroup.Standalone:
    16.                 namedBuildTarget = NamedBuildTarget.Standalone;
    17.                 break;
    19.             case BuildTargetGroup.Android:
    20.                 namedBuildTarget = NamedBuildTarget.Android;
    21.                 break;
    23.             case BuildTargetGroup.iOS:
    24.                 namedBuildTarget = NamedBuildTarget.iOS;
    25.                 break;
    27.             case BuildTargetGroup.Switch:
    28.                 namedBuildTarget = NamedBuildTarget.NintendoSwitch;
    29.                 break;
    31.             default:
    32.                 Debug.LogError($"No case for {buildTargetGroup}");
    33.                 return;
    35.         }
    36.     }
    38.     EditorUserBuildSettings.SwitchActiveBuildTarget(namedBuildTarget, buildTarget);
    40.     PlayerSettings.SetScriptingDefineSymbolsForGroup(buildTargetGroup, scriptingDefineSymbols);
    41. }
    Would prefer to pass in an enum rather than a struct, but this does the trick for now. Cheers.

42. cristianm_unity

cristianm_unity

Unity Technologies

@-chris thanks for checking it! Well, yes, it seems most issues for building are due to the confusion caused by the PlayerSettings and EditorUserBuildSettings API still receiving a BuildTargetGroup (And its documentation).
    Working on improving it.

NamedBuildTarget.FromBuildTargetGroup(buildTargetGroup) ;)

-chris likes this.
  43. MartinTwinDrums

MartinTwinDrums

Thanks for getting back. I tracked down the issue: it is a Unity (Hub) install issue. Unity Hub claims that certain modules are installed, while they are not actually present in the directories. I am currently investigating how to circumvent this issue. It would be great if there would be an option to uninstall a module after it had been installed. Currently my only option is to uninstall the version completely.

44. TheGamery

TheGamery

Tried Dedicated Server with MySQL Connector and I get NotSupported errors, works fine in Windows Standalone though.

Using 2021.3.1f1.

45. Levitas

Levitas

46. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

47. fgsoftwarestudio

fgsoftwarestudio

48. ArjanBroosSioux

ArjanBroosSioux

Hi, SwitchActiveBuildTarget is not available in batch mode: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/EditorUserBuildSettings.SwitchActiveBuildTarget.html.
    "Note: This method is not available when running the Editor in batch mode."

I created a bug report with a minimal reproduction scenario here:
    https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?1422125_kfu6g1t1tda28q1d (Case 1422125)

49. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

I'm receiving an error on my dedicated server on linux on aws which it cannot connect to WSS using websocket sharp which worked perfectly in 2020.3 server builds for the same platform.

it still works with the windows clients.

Is anybody else getting this?

On dedicated server linux in 2021.3 TLS handshake fails with a message saying chain is empty

50. Oniros88

Oniros88

Is there a way to ignore all image files and not just the ones with read/write disabled? I mean as a sort of optional feature if you are sure you will never use any texture in server even if you read texture data in clients.

dev2X likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.