Search Unity

Unity 2021.2.6 build fails in Windows if paging file disabled / set to 0

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by MarsCitizen_1, Dec 16, 2021.

1. MarsCitizen_1

MarsCitizen_1

I set my virtual memory (page file) to None / 0 for NVME/SSD purposes, and while Unity 2020.3 can build, 2021.2.6 is failing with:

tundra: error: Couldn't launch process with command line:
    cmd.exe /c ""C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2021.2.6f1\Editor\Data\Tools\netcorerun\netcorerun.exe" "C:/Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2021.2.6f1/Editor/Data/Tools/ScriptUpdater/ApiUpdater.MovedFromExtractor.exe" "Library\Bee\artifacts\mvdfrm\UnityEngine.WindModule.dll_80586D277C70F041.mvfrm" "C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2021.2.6f1\Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines\WindowsStandaloneSupport\Variations\mono\Managed\UnityEngine.WindModule.dll""

The paging file is too small for this operation

If I enable the paging file in Windows again, builds work. This is when trying to use what I think is Api Compatibility Level .NET 4.x, it just says ".NET Framework" in this new Unity version though.

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

My guess is it is requesting more memory than you currently have free, which would normally result in Windows swapping some memory contents to the page file, but a page file size of 0 results in a failure. Just a guess.

MarsCitizen_1 likes this.
  3. MarsCitizen_1

MarsCitizen_1

I wish because that would be an easy solution :( but that wasn't it. Some other part of the debug log describes looking up the page file size, finding "0" and reporting that as "too small".
    32GB ram, and it was less than 50% utilized.