Search Unity

Unity 2020 unusable - minute long load times on mobile

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by SoftwareGeezers, Nov 3, 2020.

1. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

I was looking forwards to the latest features of 2020 for my next project, where I'm currently using 2019. However, load times are insane! I tried a basic URP project with new Input Method package and the input test scene, and it takes a minute from pressing the icon in Android to the scene showing. A plain scene of 1 capsule and 1 directional light took just as long. So then I try a standard renderer project with nothing but a capsule and a light source, and it still takes 45 seconds to display anything.

A clean 2019 project with a capsule and one directional light is running in under 3 seconds! This is on an LG G3 running Android 5. I haven't tested other devices yet.

2. DiegoDePalacio

DiegoDePalacio

Unity Technologies

Hi @SoftwareGeezers,

Would you mind checking what's happening during this time, using Unity's Profiler?

In any case, if a very simple project as the one that you're mentioning is taking so long, it seems to be a bug worth checking.

Would you mind also to report it, following these instructions: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting ?

Thank you!

3. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

Just ran a blank project with a scene one light, one cube, one capsule. 30+ seconds on the LG G3. 11 Seconds on an nVidia Shield. Here's the LG G3 profile:

Image1.png

By comparison here's the same thing taking 3s to start when created on 2019:

Image2.png

Edit: I saved the profile data if that'll be any use.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020