Search Unity

Unity 2020 integration of Asset Store download and Package Manager

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by syscrusher, Aug 20, 2020.

1. syscrusher

syscrusher

Good day, Unity team!

I've just begun working in Unity 2020 for a new project, and am experiencing the Asset Store + Package Manager integration for the first time. Thank you for making this happen! The old "browser-like" download system was seriously broken, and the Package Manager works so very much better. I've been asking for this for several years (as have many others, I know), so now that it is a reality I wanted to express my appreciation.

For me so far, the new system works extremely well, and in particular the display of the asset list for a large library is astoundingly faster than the old system (on my usual ISP connection, it's nearly an order-of-magnitude improvement). There are only two minor tweaks I would like to recommend for the future, but these are fine-tuning something good rather than fixing something broken. :)
    • Please consider exposing the category filters as a full tree, matching the web UI, instead of just the top-level categories. This is especially significant for art assets, where there are so many different types and one is very likely to want to browse rather than already knowing the name of an asset (e.g., "I'm building an archviz scene and need some office furniture, so I want to browse the several 3D furniture assets I've purchased and select one or two that go with the building's architectural style.")
    • It is very helpful that one can filter for deprecated, unlabeled, or hidden assets, but please consider the two listed below. (Edited: These proposed filters can be somewhat accomplished with the sorting options, but I still think dedicated filter flags would be useful, especially alongside a "download all" action.)
      • Assets for which a new version has not yet been downloaded (to the workstation cache, regardless of whether or not that specific asset is in the current open project).
      • Assets that have been purchased but have not yet been downloaded to the local workstation.
    I also have some questions about the technical underpinnings of this new feature, because I'm the technical lead for the part of my company that does Unity development and am responsible for workflow planning and tool management. Is there documentation about technical behavior of the new integration? Since I just found this feature, I will admit that I haven't yet had time to search extensively for this -- so if the appropriate reply is simply, "Yes, that's documented, please go to {link} to RTFM," I am absolutely fine with that. :)

For example, it would be helpful to understand:
    • Where are packages stored that are downloaded but not imported into the current project? Since the asset library on the local workstation can be large, this location figures in our planning for network backups and disaster recovery.
    • When a team member migrates to a new laptop, is it possible to manually copy their downloaded asset library to the new machine, to avoid re-downloading many gigabytes from the Internet?
    • How does the PM match Unity editor versions to asset versions?
    • How will (or how does) the PM interact with the relatively new ability for organizations to purchase asset seats. An individual developer may be a member of more than one organization (for instance, I'm a member of my own org as an asset publisher, plus my company's org, plus customer-owned Organizations). How does it work if one has downloaded assets purchased under one org, but are working on a project for a different org -- which may also have acquired that asset seat, or may not have? Also, some assets (as you know) have different license terms, notably editor extensions versus single entity versus copyleft free assets?
    • Regarding the preceding point, is there a provision for in-house custom packages to be put in a repository that can be seamlessly accessed from the Unity Package Manager? (Hopefully this is already documented as an editor API, and I will find it in the standard API docs next time I'm in those pages.)
    Again, thanks to the Unity team for significantly improving this part of project workflow! My two minor suggestions, and the questions above, don't diminish the fact that I'm extremely happy to see this change in Unity 2020.1. Well done!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020