Search Unity

Official Unity 2020.2+ Unity Linux Distro Support

Discussion in 'Linux' started by andrews_unity, Sep 15, 2020.

1. rbarbosa

rbarbosa

Soooo ... I was wrong about the above. Debugging/Intellisense both work fine now regardless of whether you open the .sln or the .csproj in vscode. So basically everything is working. I guess through whatever combinations I've tried, I've now landed on a combination that works. For anyone wondering what that combo is:
    • Unity Hub from Unity's own AppImage
    • VS Code from Microsoft's own .deb package (not flatpak or snap)
    • .Net SDK 5 from Microsoft's own apt repo (apt-get install dotnet-sdk-5.0)
    • Mono from Mono's own apt repo (apt-get install mono-devel)
    • The latest OmniSharp
    • The latest Debugger for Unity
    I believe some of my woes were being caused by flatpak isolation. Once I started shedding flatpaks in favor of native packages, things slowly started coming together and now everything is working.

Brogan89 likes this.
  2. chmpy

chmpy

see when the unity hub is downloading and unpacking before installation, it keeps its stuff in /tmp, if the / partition is not big enough, it stops the installation altogether, my proposal was instead of /tmp when unpacking, make it a choice of path, preferably the /home for example.

3. Brogan89

Brogan89

Yeah from my findings I've found staying away from snap and flatpak is better, just sticking to .deb is the way to go. I use Rider though so not sure about vscode. But other than the glitchy editor windows Unity works great in Ubuntu. Runs even better using Vulkan over OpenGL

4. MadWatch

MadWatch

From my experience, both VS Code and Rider work if you install them with Snap. It is the Flatpak version that has issues.

Brogan89 likes this.
  5. EskemaGames

EskemaGames

Working with Unity 2020.3.19 on Zorin OS 16, no issues at all. Did the same with PopOS 21.04, both distros works fine. (both distros are ubuntu based)

Btw, both tested with Rider which is my IDE of choice. So far 0 problems, aside the classic minor issues the editor have (resize panels, etc)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

VS Code is a real pain and it's also ugly, minor point but important for my personal comfort. :)

Unfortunately MonoDevelop no longer works directly with Unity so I had to find a work around:
    1. create a project with VS Code as the chosen IDE,
    2. create a test script in the project and then open it in VS Code so that the csproj and sln files are created,
    3. switch to MonoDevelop in the preferences and things should work fine from now on.
    MonoDevelop doesn't have the Unity snippets but I've learnt to live without them. Anyway the available Unity snippets for VS Code are not really reliable, so...

I resent being somehow forced to use Rider which is not free; it seems that we Linux users will never benefit of a free fully integrated with Unity IDE that also works fine... :(

7. MX-Pain

MX-Pain

I have try these options and none of them seem to work. Visual Code doesnt show me any errors on console I have to save and then go back to Unity and after compiles, it show me the errors on my code. Is there a workaround for this. Not sure what else I can try to fix this issue.

Attached Files:

• vsc.png
      vsc.png
      File size:
      70.7 KB
      Views:
  8. EthanFischer

EthanFischer

Is Ubuntu 18.04 still the recommended version for unity 2019/2020/2021 at this point?

I'm looking to move to Linux and aiming to have the most stable unity development setup I can

9. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

Ubuntu 18.04 and 20.04 are both fully supported :)

10. MilitaryG

MilitaryG

Finally makes me want a first licence

Maybe I will even join beta testers around February if I will have time

Even if I will get the free licence as beta tester I have a plan to pay it anyway just to support good product all this years I didn't bought it yet.

A like \o/

11. unity_01stlight

unity_01stlight

I like to say this was resolve in the new unityhub, to whom made it possible, you have my gratitude.

12. nrader95

nrader95

Actually, VS Code works okay on linux. There is a catch, though.
    The omnisharp that VSCode relies on for C# support crashes when there is Rider DLL in project library folder. So if you have rider package installed (for example someone else in your team uses it), it might be real pain indeed. (deleting dll fixes the prblem but it tend to reappear at times).

13. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

I use VS Code as my primary editor in Linux. There are a couple of things to be aware of.

First, as mentioned, you *may* need to remove the Rider package from you project from the package manager if that is causing problems.

Second, to get IntelliSense working correctly, you may need to install mono, then go to VSCode settings and change the "Omnisharp: Use Global Mono" setting to "Always".

14. nrader95

nrader95

Yes, but when programmers in the team use different IDEs, one of them being rider, removing package may be problematic. (or you will need to remove package after each change pull if you not commiting this change to version contol).

15. rbarbosa

rbarbosa

Sort of a random question ... but I think this is the best thread to post it in. When my (Xbox) bluetooth controller times out and turns itself off, the Unity Editor/Engine DOES NOT APPRECIATE THAT. All of the axes get jacked up. My triggers start behaving like thumbsticks and my thumbsticks stop working altogether.

Is there a way to "restart" the input manager to make things go back to normal? Exiting the editor and restarting every time this happens is a pain.

I'm running in Fedora 35 against Unity version 2021.2.11f1 (but the same problem occurred in 2021.2.1f1).

Any help would be great

16. SnowKaya

SnowKaya

Just for curiosity, how did you manage to install Unity on Fedora?

17. markmozza

markmozza

Whats the support like for Ubuntu 22.04? It works but out of the box its a terrible experience right now, specially if your a Plastic SCM user.

18. gputhread

gputhread

can i run it on LUbuntu as it consumes less ram? Also which ubuntu flavours does it support?

19. karliss_coldwild

karliss_coldwild

@gputhread Officially they only support Gnome desktop environment so no Ubuntu flavors (only the main version of Ubuntu). It's written in the Editor environment page https://docs.unity3d.com/2021.3/Documentation/Manual/system-requirements.html . It can probably be made to work if you know what you are doing, but if you experience any problems then there is a chance that any support tickets or questions will rejected as you are using unsupported setup.

20. FuzzyP

FuzzyP

I used Unity mostly the 2020 packages on Ubuntu Studio, which is based on Plasma, and it worked pretty well. When I tried to reorganize the tabs in the Unity interface, they popped around and were hard to dock exactly where I wanted them, but it's only slightly better on MacOS, which is what my lab for my game design students use.

I recently switched to PopOS, which customizes Gnome a lot, and it's even smoother than on Ubuntu Studio, but Pop has Ubuntu as a base, and they didn't upgrade even after 22.024 came out, so that might be why it's so stable, it may be based on 21.04 still. Tab docking works better.

That said, I have horrible problems getting VS Code or Code working properly in Linux. I have tried so many things to make it work that honestly I don't even know what my setup currently is. I think I have it installed as a Flatpak and from what I understand that is something that causes a lot of issues. I just can't get intellisense or mono working so I don't get a full prediction of C# that I really need. I'm thinking of applying for the Rider teacher free license.

I teach Game Design in a public high school. I don't have complex needs so if I use Rider, that won't affect anyone else. I'm not working on a large team creating a game. I also bought another nvme drive and installed Windows on it for my home desktop so I can use Unity and VS natively when it is absolutely necessary, which is rare, but sometimes a student project just doesn't work, and I need to test it in the environment it should work best in.

From what I have read, Rider is the best IDE to use on Linux if you want the predictive text features. Since I'm a teacher I can apply for the free license. I'd prefer something open source, but if that's the best to get me all the features, I'll go with that.

Anything better than Rider on Linux?

21. ChiwTheNeko

ChiwTheNeko

This has nothing to do with Unity or Linux. OmniSharp (the bit responsible for C# in VS Code) is hell to setup. It's not just on Linux but also on Windows and Mac. If you insist you will get it to work eventually. There are some good posts here about how to do that. But it might break anytime there is an update.

None that I know of. Rider has its own issues. There are some long standing bugs that the devs just won't fix. But Rider works out of the box and it has many cool features.

22. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

Check out Consulo, very similar to rider...used it before I started paying for rider: https://consulo.app

23. gputhread

gputhread

ok installed new ubuntu 23.04 gnome :rolleyes:
    I used to work on ubuntu 20 before but recently when I noticed windows 10 using 2.7gb ram while idle I thought to switch back to ubuntu.;)

24. gputhread

gputhread

VS Code? , I have no problems neither on windows nor on ubuntu.:D

25. RichAllen2023

RichAllen2023

Well as of about an hour ago I managed to start the basis of a new project and it didn't crash or throw up errors.

EthanFischer likes this.