Search Unity

1. Click here to see what's on sale for the "Best of Super Sale" on the Asset Store
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Unity 2020.2+ Unity Linux Distro Support

Discussion in 'Linux Editor' started by andrews_unity, Sep 15, 2020.

1. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi all,

As we continue to improve our Linux offerings, we would like to discuss some upcoming changes around the current distros we support for Unity 2020.2 LTS.

We understand that the distro landscape is one that is ever changing, and we want to make sure that we are supporting where our customers are and where they need us the most. Our current plan for the 2020 LTS release is to make the following changes to supported distros, considering current distro usage, supported distros and industry needs:
    • Add support for Ubuntu 20.4 LTS
    • Continue support for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and CentOS 7
    • Remove support for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. 16.04 LTS is nearing end-of-life and is only receiving security updates at this point.
    Now a lot of folks might ask why these distros? Why not distro XXX or distro YYY? That's a very valid question and, as we looked at the data around where our customers are within the Linux ecosystem, there were some clear conclusions:
    • Ubuntu has the largest groups of users, both for dev and for players.
    • People care about having a distro that is being supported by its community.
    • Stability and consistency are important to our users and our developers.
    This is why we have focused on ensuring that Unity works with LTS versions of Ubuntu. We want to make sure that our customers have the best possible support when it comes to their Linux experience and want to make sure that we are where our customers are. It was clear to us that Ubuntu 20.04 support was something that you wanted, and we wanted to be right there with you.

So why CentOS 7?

CentOS is the industry standard for the Film/VFX industry. Over the past couple of years, Unity has had the privilege of participating in cutting-edge advancements of technology in both film and VFX. We want to ensure that we can provide the best possible support for these customers, whether it be on a render farm or their daily work machines. In order to ensure that we meet these goals, we need to make sure that Unity can run in the standard environment of this industry.

Will you ever consider supporting other distros?

It is unlikely that we will be supporting more than two distributions any time soon. We want to provide our customers with the best possible support we can, and in order to do this, we have to limit the number of distros we officially support in order to balance the priorities of our users on other platforms. However, we are passionate about Linux and understand that the distro ecosystem is one that is ever changing as Linux distros continue to change and improve. We will continue to monitor what’s important to our Linux users and evaluate and make as-needed adjustments to our current distribution support in the future.

We hope that these new support offerings allow you to continue to build great products on supported, battle-tested distros. Of course, we always value feedback and we hope that you will continue with us on this journey: making Unity on Linux the best product it can be.

Thanks,
    The Unity Desktop Team

VitDev, dginovker, vm111204 and 5 others like this.
  2. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

Thanks for the info! :)

People should know that Unity will work with any Linux distro derived from Ubuntu, in my case Linux Mint. Unity works fine with Linux Mint 20 Ulyana that is based on Ubuntu 20.4 already.

3. btristan

btristan

Can we get an updated dependencies list for 2020.2? I'm trying to install 2020.2 on Ubuntu 18.04 and getting this error:

Code (JavaScript):
    1. Fatal error: required formats (xar, cpio, tar, gzip, xz) are not supported by system libarchive
    But apt-get reports that my libarchive is the latest available.

ShefSam likes this.
  4. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

So the position here is we only explicitly support the canonical based LTS releases, and not the Ubuntu based distros and the reason for this is mainly around resources and just ensuring that we can provide the best support possible.

5. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

Can you you report a bug for this and create a new thread outside this one for this issue :D

btristan likes this.
  6. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

I know that, I was just saying that Unity works fine on Ubuntu based Linux distros.

Regarding bug reports, there had been steps made towards people reporting problems that were not using Ubuntu 18 or 20 in the recent past; is that over and will we be considered not worthy of any help from you guys again?

7. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

Our position is the same on that front if the issues are reporducable on the supported distros then we will provide support.

Brogan89 likes this.
  8. unity_xW6sO8ps9h_vPA

unity_xW6sO8ps9h_vPA

I have the Unity Hub App Image in my Ubuntu 20.04 and all the unity editor seems to crash whenever I try to open ou create a project. Just the Unity 2018 works.

9. heitorzorah

heitorzorah

This means only the main GNOME version or the flavors as well?
    What about xorg or wayland?

Thank you for your time.

And what about CentOS 8? Or users are still using 7 more than 8?

REALLY glad to read this!

What about Snap/Flatpak releases? Wouldn't that help? Or running dev things in contained environments just doesn't work?

2020.2 LTS will be out next year, right?

Thank you for your time.

sfjohansson, dginovker and volfase like this.
  10. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

Unity Technologies

@heitorzorah, we currently support the GNOME window manager with an X11 backend. We can't support default CentOS 8 installations until we add official support for Wayland, which we do not have a timetable on.

As for containers, it's something we want to support. Some users have gotten building to work in Docker, but parts of the process to get it working are non-trivial.

11. jvetulani

jvetulani

Currently in all the 2020 betas on Ubuntu 18.04 the Editor performance is 6-9fps, always in single digits, in 2020.1.3f1 the default URP scene runs at 600fps on the same machine.

I'd submit a bug report but the bug reporter crashes... I'd submit a bug report that the bug reporter crashes.. but um...

Ubuntu 18.04.4
    Intel i7-8700K
    Nvidia GTX 1080
    32 gigs of ram

Legacy, URP on both Vulkan and OpenGL

12. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

There is already a bug report. It's supposed to be fixed in b5.

13. HerbertSSchaefer

HerbertSSchaefer

The most important thing is to have a up-to-date list of the dependencies, maybe a official supported kernel version. Or better, have UnityHub list the dependencies of new installations.

Ubuntu is a great distro to have official support, if you also had vanilla Debian and Arch (or official Aur package) you would basically have 99% of the desktop linux users. But having Ubuntu and a Flatpack is more than good enough.

I'm using Artix Linux, kernel 5.8.12 Zen. Can confirm Unity 2019.4 and 2020.1 working almost flawlessly with Awesome WM 4.3, LXQT 0.15.1 (Qt base 5.15) and KDE Plasma 5.19.

Having the same low fps issue as jvetulani in Unity 2020.2.b5, haven't made a bug report cause i haven't had the time to see if it was my setup or a bug.

Thanks! Great work!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    goncalo-vasconcelos likes this.
  14. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

We are aware of this issue and are working to resolve it.

15. LearningNot

LearningNot

ye i would like if there is a list of all deps and stuff i need, atm on Void Linux i get glitching with UI elements all time :(

dginovker likes this.
  16. jvetulani

jvetulani

It's still in b7, 9 fps instead of 300-400 fps.

17. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

Yeah, it was announced that the fix would be for b8, unless...

18. LearningNot

LearningNot

hmm just installed Ubuntu 20.4 LTS , hmm UI gliching i got on void disappeared , i think tough its not void related cuz i first installed lubuntu and head same gliching, but i still get issue when i try to exit Unity it stucks/freezes and i have to kill it to close
    tough maybe cuz am using 2019 lts unity version

19. Saggingcube

Saggingcube

b8 still has the 9-10fps bug... sad face. On a positive note, HDRP seems to be much more stable, and the new demo scene is gorgeous!

20. mahmoudk1000

mahmoudk1000

im trying to learn game develop but i have this problem i think compiler related
    error mssage "error CS1056: Unexpected character" so any help would be appreciated. thanks
    my code here https://del.dog/tifamygnys
    or
    using System.Collections;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using UnityEngine;

public class PlayerController : MonoBehaviour
    {
    // Start is called before the first frame update
    void Start()
    {

}
    private float speed = 20.0f;
    private float turnSpeed = 45.0f;
    private float horizontalInput;
    private float forwardInput;
    // Update is called once per frame
    void Update()
    {
    horizontalInput = Input.GetAxis("Horizontal");
    forwardInput = Input.GetAxis("Vertical");
    // Moves the car forward based on vertical input
    transform.Translate(Vector3.forward * Time.deltaTime * speed * forwardInput);
    // Rotates the car based on horizontal input
    transform.Rotate(Vector3.up * turnSpeed * horizontalInput * Time.deltaTime);
    }
    }

21. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

Create a new thread and, please, use the code tags to post your script.

unityunity