Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.2 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Unity 2020.2 Is Now Available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by LeonhardP, Nov 25, 2020.

1. MrPaparoz

MrPaparoz

If it's not a big project, Create a new empty project and copy old project's Assets folder's content to new one. That should do the trick. I'm out of suggestion and little bit confused with what you described.

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

When you open a project with an Unity version that's older than the version you opened it with before. For example you open the project with Unity 2020.2 and then open it with Unity 2019.4. That would count as downgrade and isn't supported.

3. dannyfromsudo

dannyfromsudo

Is anyone else having an issue with starting a new unity project in this version and immediately facing this error "Failed to find csc.exe" (Tried reinstalling unity but it didn't work)

4. outkastarmy

outkastarmy

ohhh i understand what you mean, no i have no done that, ive started a new project every time pointing to the version i want to avoid conflicts

5. outkastarmy

outkastarmy

ok now i have a 3rd pc i built from parts (nothing special but it will do for testing), there is a fresh install of windows and everything is up to date, visual studio community is installed, what version of unity should i install to give it the best chance of working with standard assets or something similar? im not looking to make a shelf ready game i just want to learn some stuff and have assets and props to put in there, is there a working version?

6. Randominium

Randominium

for a little while the error was gone but now its back.

7. outkastarmy

outkastarmy

i googled your question and csc.exe is the c# comiler so maybe try reinstal .net? > https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download

8. Randominium

Randominium

I dont have .net in the first place so do i install it?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  9. outkastarmy

outkastarmy

i dont think it would break anything if you did, and if it does not solve the issue you can remove it

10. Randominium

Randominium

So I downloaded .net and when I tried to open a project, the error is still there.

11. outkastarmy

outkastarmy

the only other answer i can find for this issue is to reinstall unity, open unity hub > click installs on the left > click the settings dots for the version you want to reinstall and click uninstall and then add it again, or maybe use a older a verison unless there is some feature of the newer version you want to use

12. Randominium

Randominium

Aparrently there was a blue screen and it restarted, and it actually fixed the problem. Im so lucky and I was also about to reinstall unity.

13. Refeas

Refeas

What happened with tech releases every Wednessday?

Jes28 likes this.
  14. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

The holiday season slowed things down and 2020.2.2 is on the bigger side so testing takes additional time.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  15. yuliyF

yuliyF

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021 at 9:23 PM
  16. CG_Bull

CG_Bull

In my PC 2020.2 have 2 window. Why?

17. yoonitee

yoonitee

I am geetting weird popups. Like when I close Unity 2020.2.1f I am getting a popup dialog that says "Application.Quit".

And when I unclick the button in package manager a popup says "Input.MouseUp"

Like the debugging information has been left on or something.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021 at 12:33 AM
  18. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

:D Yea, you're not the only one baffled by this new loading bar. I believe Unity's idea was the following: The editor is currently blocking the main thread with many operations, so it sometimes feels unresponsive. Users didn't like that, but Unity can't fix all issues at once. So they implemented a progress bar that shows progress whenever something takes longer than x seconds. Now users should know that the editor is doing stuff and not just unresponsive. I personally believe this doesn't help much, since it now only focuses attention on the issue even more, but Unity's goal is that users don't ever see this loading bar (Joachim promised 500ms responsiveness for all operations).

In the meantime, you can simply increase the delay after which the popup is shown by going to Preferences > General > Busy Progress Delay and setting the value to something higher like 5 seconds.

Disclaimer, I haven't checked that this setting actually still works in the newest release, it may also just be broken. ^^ But try it out.

tonialatalo and yoonitee like this.
  19. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I would rather they test it properly and release something stable, than have something at regular intervals.

koirat likes this.
  20. Refeas

Refeas

I disagree. Regular, smaller, incremental patches are better and safer than one huge which could potentially break stuff up.

21. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

No, have you not followed at all what has happened since 2015? We ended up here with less tech releases and a longer release cycle, with better testing because of all the users that asked for this - stability. They even released a big blog post about it and multiple forum posts.

So you disagreeing doesnt change the fact that the decision is based on years of feedback. We had regular patches before and it just made things very unstable, I am not sure how you think it would be anything but that. Longer QA = catching more of the issues before they reach us. Its not "One huge patch" its just going through proper QA.

22. Refeas

Refeas

Not sure what you're on about here - Unity established weekly minor patches every Wednessday since like a year ago? With reasoning that they still have time until Friday to provide support. It just broke up because the end of the year/holidays. And if Leonhard mentions it's on the bigger side, it probably means a lot of fixes/changes - that means even more testing/QA is needed, so the chance for breakage might be bigger. If you have more changes and take more time to test, it is no different than having few changes and less time to test. The only thing that would make sense from your standpoint would be if they took longer and did fewer changes which is not the case here.

23. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

I moved some files around for my project and now I'm getting this error when I leave motion blur on
    HDRP
    MotionBlurNeighborhoodTilePass.compute: Kernel at index (0) is invalid

unityunity