Search Unity

Official Unity 2020.2 Is Now Available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by LeonhardP, Nov 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrPaparoz

MrPaparoz

If it's not a big project, Create a new empty project and copy old project's Assets folder's content to new one. That should do the trick. I'm out of suggestion and little bit confused with what you described.

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

When you open a project with an Unity version that's older than the version you opened it with before. For example you open the project with Unity 2020.2 and then open it with Unity 2019.4. That would count as downgrade and isn't supported.

3. DSilvandoBlade

DSilvandoBlade

Is anyone else having an issue with starting a new unity project in this version and immediately facing this error "Failed to find csc.exe" (Tried reinstalling unity but it didn't work)

4. outkastarmy

outkastarmy

ohhh i understand what you mean, no i have no done that, ive started a new project every time pointing to the version i want to avoid conflicts

5. outkastarmy

outkastarmy

ok now i have a 3rd pc i built from parts (nothing special but it will do for testing), there is a fresh install of windows and everything is up to date, visual studio community is installed, what version of unity should i install to give it the best chance of working with standard assets or something similar? im not looking to make a shelf ready game i just want to learn some stuff and have assets and props to put in there, is there a working version?

6. Randominium

Randominium

for a little while the error was gone but now its back.

7. outkastarmy

outkastarmy

i googled your question and csc.exe is the c# comiler so maybe try reinstal .net? > https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download

8. Randominium

Randominium

I dont have .net in the first place so do i install it?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  9. outkastarmy

outkastarmy

i dont think it would break anything if you did, and if it does not solve the issue you can remove it

10. Randominium

Randominium

So I downloaded .net and when I tried to open a project, the error is still there.

11. outkastarmy

outkastarmy

the only other answer i can find for this issue is to reinstall unity, open unity hub > click installs on the left > click the settings dots for the version you want to reinstall and click uninstall and then add it again, or maybe use a older a verison unless there is some feature of the newer version you want to use

12. Randominium

Randominium

Aparrently there was a blue screen and it restarted, and it actually fixed the problem. Im so lucky and I was also about to reinstall unity.

13. Refeas

Refeas

What happened with tech releases every Wednessday?

JesOb likes this.
  14. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

The holiday season slowed things down and 2020.2.2 is on the bigger side so testing takes additional time.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  15. yuliyF

yuliyF

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
  16. CGBull

CGBull

In my PC 2020.2 have 2 window. Why?

17. yoonitee

yoonitee

I am geetting weird popups. Like when I close Unity 2020.2.1f I am getting a popup dialog that says "Application.Quit".

And when I unclick the button in package manager a popup says "Input.MouseUp"

Like the debugging information has been left on or something.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
  18. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

:D Yea, you're not the only one baffled by this new loading bar. I believe Unity's idea was the following: The editor is currently blocking the main thread with many operations, so it sometimes feels unresponsive. Users didn't like that, but Unity can't fix all issues at once. So they implemented a progress bar that shows progress whenever something takes longer than x seconds. Now users should know that the editor is doing stuff and not just unresponsive. I personally believe this doesn't help much, since it now only focuses attention on the issue even more, but Unity's goal is that users don't ever see this loading bar (Joachim promised 500ms responsiveness for all operations).

In the meantime, you can simply increase the delay after which the popup is shown by going to Preferences > General > Busy Progress Delay and setting the value to something higher like 5 seconds.

Disclaimer, I haven't checked that this setting actually still works in the newest release, it may also just be broken. ^^ But try it out.

tonialatalo and yoonitee like this.
  19. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I would rather they test it properly and release something stable, than have something at regular intervals.

Agmdaniel and koirat like this.
  20. Refeas

Refeas

I disagree. Regular, smaller, incremental patches are better and safer than one huge which could potentially break stuff up.

21. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

No, have you not followed at all what has happened since 2015? We ended up here with less tech releases and a longer release cycle, with better testing because of all the users that asked for this - stability. They even released a big blog post about it and multiple forum posts.

So you disagreeing doesnt change the fact that the decision is based on years of feedback. We had regular patches before and it just made things very unstable, I am not sure how you think it would be anything but that. Longer QA = catching more of the issues before they reach us. Its not "One huge patch" its just going through proper QA.

soleron likes this.
  22. Refeas

Refeas

Not sure what you're on about here - Unity established weekly minor patches every Wednessday since like a year ago? With reasoning that they still have time until Friday to provide support. It just broke up because the end of the year/holidays. And if Leonhard mentions it's on the bigger side, it probably means a lot of fixes/changes - that means even more testing/QA is needed, so the chance for breakage might be bigger. If you have more changes and take more time to test, it is no different than having few changes and less time to test. The only thing that would make sense from your standpoint would be if they took longer and did fewer changes which is not the case here.

23. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

I moved some files around for my project and now I'm getting this error when I leave motion blur on
    HDRP
    MotionBlurNeighborhoodTilePass.compute: Kernel at index (0) is invalid

24. Randominium

Randominium

i dont know why but the error keeps bouncing back and forth. one time the error is gone the next time it is back.

25. valarnur

valarnur

20.2.2 is released

26. yoonitee

yoonitee

Yes, but is it any good?

27. Agmdaniel

Agmdaniel

What a total buggy mess. As a human being, I am embarrassed by the incompetence behind the release of Unity 2020.2 For example, it is physically impossible to get "Creator Kit: puzzle" to work with Unity 2020.2, even though the program insists on needing the newest version. This is just pure incompetence. You understand: I'm not expecting much, just that the program work with its own tutorials.

soleron and radiantboy like this.
  28. radiantboy

radiantboy

I'm going to bet my life non of the bugs I reported in the last year are fixed. But good work anyway guys. I'm sticking to 2019 even though it is flawed in many ways. Looking forward to unity 2025 :)

soleron likes this.
  29. yoonitee

yoonitee

I had a look at Godot game engine, it is nice to use and the main engine is a very small file size to download. Unfortunately it creates massive file sizes when you actually try to publish a game. It has potential but I'm sticking with Unity for now....

I think you can't really have a game engine that's good at making low-poly, low-foot print games for something like Oculus Quest 2, and also be good at making AAA games. Fair enough it looks like Unity 2020 and beyond is aiming for the AAA market, but for me I may jump ship one day and go for something a little simpler.

radiantboy likes this.
  30. radiantboy

radiantboy

I don't think unity is aimed at AAA. It is somewhere in between good mobile games and slightly none AAA pc/console titles. But it does allow us mere mortals to get close. If it was for AAA it would be less buggy, higher performance and probably harder to use.

soleron likes this.
  31. ... have you seen AAA games lately? The thing is, aiming for AAA has more leeway. AAA studios have the time and the manpower to fix some issues with an engine. Indies usually don't. Or rarely.

With that said, Unity is AA engine with aiming to close the gap as much as possible.

phobos2077 and yoonitee like this.
  32. radiantboy

radiantboy

That agrees with what I said surely

33. yoonitee

yoonitee

Cyberpunk AKA cyberbug.

Mind you, that's mainly due to bad algorithms than buggy game engine I would say. Turns out, it wasn't as easy as they thought to simulate 10,000 individuals. (Note to Unity: add ability to simulate 10,000 individual humans daily routines.)

Also, I agree Unity is AA. Or maybe it should just call itself a B-engine. People like B-movies after all.

34. GiyomuGames

GiyomuGames

Hey there,
    I have a pretty small project that used to open in 30 seconds or less in 2019.4.f16. Now it takes 5 minutes with 2020.2.2f1. Is it happening to anyone else?

Also the build time has gone from 2 minutes to 5 minutes, and sometimes the editor simply becomes unresponsive for a couple minutes, for example when I click on the dropdown to change the shader of a material.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    soleron likes this.
  35. optimise

optimise

Hi @LeonhardP. Can I know the ETA of 2020.2.3? I want to get some fix for this version.

36. yoonitee

yoonitee

For start up: My guess is it is probably loading a load of packages. Try removing all the packages you don't need. Some packages get added when you upgrade.
    For build times: Probably building a load of shaders. I don't know how to fix this one. One advice I got was to delete the library folder and then let it recompile everything. The first time is always longest to build. There are other tips such as disable mesh-optimization.

IDK. It's a shame. If you can use an earlier version of Unity, maybe that is better for you.

I haven't seen any blogs etc from Unity that show they care about build times/ start up times so it looks like this trend will continue.

GiyomuGames likes this.
  37. 00christian00

00christian00

Judging from the release notes of every new version of 2020.2 I think we are still quite far from a stable release, the known issues list is quite extensive yet.

38. phobos2077

phobos2077

Is there any ETA for 2020.3 LTS release?

39. MrPaparoz

MrPaparoz

It'll be released with 2021.1 in the spring cycle probably.

phobos2077 likes this.
  40. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Sounds like an instance of this issue (fixed in 2020.2.2f1): https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/1306116/

Would it be possible for you to share your project via a bug report with us so we can have a look?

Performance regressions of that magnitude always warrant an investigation from our side but in a lot of cases the causes are specific to the project and the set-up. If you are affected by performance regressions, please reach out and submit bug reports for them.

41. 00christian00

00christian00

I also had a scene with the standard renderer throwing such error. Upgrading post processing effect from the verified version 2.something to 3 fixed it.

42. GiyomuGames

GiyomuGames

Thanks for the replies and sorry for getting back at you so late!
    I deleted the Library folder and now evreything is back to normal! I never realized changing Unity versions without deleting this folder could have such impacts!

LeonhardP likes this.
  43. Inter-Illusion

Inter-Illusion

As part of 2020.2 there is now support for most C# 8.0 features, including Index and Range.
    However, when I try to use them (e.g. string[0..3]) , the System.Index and System.Range can't be found.
    Is there a setting I have to enable in Unity 2020.2 to automatically import those types?

The only way I found to make it happen is by importing the IndexRange package from nuget to get access to those types.

I thought that as part of unity support for C# 8.0 the engine had already the dlls needed for the C# 8.0 additions. Is that the case?

phobos2077 likes this.
  44. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

I migrated my project now from 2020.1.17 to 2020.2.7. Oh boy. What in the world happened to the editor? It is just so dramatically slower. Sometimes opening a scene just stalls for 30 seconds and copies gigabytes of data (as seen in the task manager). That used to take 1 second in 2020.1. In the player prefs I suddenly get endless loops importing the same package over and over again (collections) and it never ends. Building the project and addressables is way slower. Starting Unity is way slower. I just gave up and wait for 2021.1.

Am I the only one experiencing this? My library folder (cleaned before upgrade) is 114Gb, Accelarator is installed. Windows 10 system. Everything on high-speed SSDs. 24Gb RAM.

45. snacktime

snacktime

Hit a really strange issue verified it on 5f1 and 7f1.

On startup once it hits the compiling assemblies phase memory usage starts climbing and peaks at around 20gb. Final stage where it releases unused assets it goes back down to around 5gb which is still very high and that never goes down.

In the editor log RoslynAnalysisRunner has terminated/RoslynAnalysisRunner will not be running was curious.
    Shader import version has changed; will reimport all shaders... shows up every time.

I did recently upgrade VS to 16.9 that's the only thing I can think of here. Unfortunately community version you can only install the latest no way to go back.

46. snacktime

snacktime

These lines looked interesting also.

RefreshProfiler: Total: 14041.942ms
    ImportAndPostprocessOutOfDateAssets: 12722.054ms (12342.533ms without children)

That repeats another time for 20000 ms and a third at an insignificant amount.

homearise likes this.
  47. Schumaker

Schumaker

Hi, does it support M1 chips?

48. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

C# 8 is not fully supported in 2020.2 and unfortunately this is one of the features that are not available. There is no setting to enable this. I can see that our documentation isn't clear about that and we will look into adding the missing information.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/uni...-big-sur-known-issues-and-workarounds.929220/

49. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.