Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity 2020.2 Is Now Available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by LeonhardP, Nov 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Download & Release Notes | Blog Post | Docs

Unity 2020.2 is now available as the latest TECH version on the download page and in the Unity Hub.

Read the blog post for an overview over the biggest changes or visit our 2020.2 landing pages for more details:

2020.2 landing page
    Remember to back up your projects before opening them in a new version of Unity. If you encounter any issues, please let us know by submitting a bug report so it can reach our developers.

If you have any questions related to 2020.2, please feel free to ask them in this thread and we will do our best to follow up on them.

2. JU52

JU52

upload_2020-12-15_17-3-19.png

the last beta was OK, removed VS and let all install by Unity Hub, don't help

cgarchitects and bboysil like this.
  3. diesoftgames

diesoftgames

This sprite sheet preview looks great, but I am still seeing the old, standard preview style. How do I get that animation slider? The sprite is set to Sprite Mode Multiple and is sliced up appropriately.

Deleted User likes this.
  4. yasirkula

yasirkula

Just shut up and take my money, please.

5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Saw this in the list
    What are the details? It sounds like a remote log file transfer feature.

6. cxode

cxode

Why are default interface methods not supported? They're my favorite part of C# 8 :(

Is there any word on when they will be supported?

calpolican, Lo-renzo and diesoftgames like this.
  7. BigRookGames

BigRookGames

I know the "stats" are known not to be the most accurate readings, but was there anything done to update these numbers? Because after converting my project that ran idle around 180 fps in play mode, I am getting around 50 fps. If I close the Scene window it bumps it up to about 100-120 fps but still noticeably lower than running in 2020.1.16.

The profiler shows that everything is running twice in the editor, which makes sense, but that wasn't the behavior in the prior version, so I am making the assumption that it is the same, just more accurate now?

8. brunocoimbra

brunocoimbra

the TL;DR: It requires a .Net runtime update, which is not possible at the moment

the long version: https://forum.unity.com/threads/net-5-support.839890/

LeonhardP, Joe-Censored and cxode like this.
  9. koirat

koirat

I just hope asset creators will update their software fast.

10. runner78

runner78

So many people want default interface implementation, I hope they also know its limitations.

Mikael-H likes this.
  11. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I notice you can no longer access MonoBehaviour.gameObject from a background thread (you could do it in 2020.1.17). I know it wasn't recommended, but now you get an exception hand slap for trying it :p

12. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Oh this one is really awesome
    I might not need to restart my dedicated server game every night anymore with this.

13. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I don't think anything changed with that function since 2020.1 (just checked source code history, hasn't been touched at all). However, thread checks are only enabled in the editor and development builds. They're compiled out of non-development builds. I wonder if you observed it "work" in a non-development build.

Keep in mind that the property getter is in no way thread safe and there be dragons if you try to use it from non-main thread.

tonialatalo and Joe-Censored like this.
  14. jerry_lh

jerry_lh

Hello, I'm using unity's webgl. At present, when the browser on Android platform is full screen, the versions after unity2020 and the full screen of web page have mouse coordinates, but the ugui interface does not respond

It's normal to go back to unity2019.4, and then I'll replace the ugui of unity2020 with unity2019
    The full screen code for the web page is as follows:
    function JSFullScreenEnabled(value) {
    if (value) {
    canvas.ontouchend = function () {
    SetFullScreen();
    }
    } else {
    canvas.ontouchend = null;
    }
    }

function SetFullScreen() {
    if ( document.fullscreenElement Wei document.webkitFullscreenElement Wei document.mozFullScreenElement Wei document.msFullscreenElement )
    return;

var element = document.documentElement ;
    if ( element.requestFullscreen {
    element.requestFullscreen ();
    } else if ( element.mozRequestFullScreen {
    element.mozRequestFullScreen ();
    } else if ( element.webkitRequestFullscreen {
    element.webkitRequestFullscreen ();
    } else if ( element.msRequestFullscreen {
    element.msRequestFullscreen ();
    }
    }

However, the latest version of unity2020.2 ugui code has a relatively big change, can no longer be replaced with 2019 ugui

15. jerry_lh

jerry_lh

Unity2020.2 webgl does not respond to the full screen ugui under Android. I found a new solution: only replace the ugui on unity2019.4.17 com.unity.ugui/Runtime/EventSystem

16. Thaina

Thaina

I don't understand this error. It seem new in 2020.2 and not in 2020.1

> mainTemplate.gradle file is using the old aaptOptions noCompress property definition which does not include types defined by unityStreamingAssets constant.

masterton likes this.
  17. jerry_lh

jerry_lh

@Thaina
    It is compiled into a webgl web page,
    And then use the Android mobile browser to open the web page in full screen,
    At this time, the ugui of unity2020 does not respond to the touch, but the coordinates of the touch itself are normal,
    Only by replacing ugui2020 with ugui2019 is normal.

18. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I like the new "What's new" pages, with videos and all. Makes it much easier to find new features and the short video that shows it in action is very useful too.

Xarbrough, LeonhardP, Endahs and 5 others like this.
  19. eduardooriz

eduardooriz

Unity Technologies

Hi. This feature works with animated textures not sprites, make sure your asset is set as Default and the texture shape as "2D Array" confirm the number of columns and rows and click Apply, a slider will appear to previsualize the animation

diesoftgames likes this.
  20. CianNoonan

CianNoonan

We're getting windows player crashes in 2020.2 URP 10.2. It's unclear how any of our usercode could cause something like this. Has anyone got any ideas? This is happening somewhat randomly as the player runs

Code (CSharp):
    1. ========== OUTPUTTING STACK TRACE ==================
    2. 0x00007FF7BAC98F14 (Unity) PrepareValueParameters<OverridingParameterPreparer>
    3. 0x00007FF7BAC9FA96 (Unity) GpuProgramParameters::PrepareOverridingValues
    4. 0x00007FF7B9BDCC63 (Unity) GfxDeviceD3D11Base::SetShaderPropertiesCopied
    5. 0x00007FF7BD0C5538 (Unity) GfxDeviceWorker::RunCommand
    6. 0x00007FF7BD0D30DC (Unity) GfxDeviceWorker::RunExt
    7. 0x00007FF7BD0D3628 (Unity) GfxDeviceWorker::RunGfxDeviceWorker
    8. 0x00007FF7BAB5F8D5 (Unity) Thread::RunThreadWrapper
    9. 0x00007FF9DB487034 (KERNEL32) BaseThreadInitThunk
    10. 0x00007FF9DD33D0D1 (ntdll) RtlUserThreadStart
    11. ========== END OF STACKTRACE ===========

21. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

As to be expected with any new release there will be some bugs, but overall this is probably the best unity editor release since Unity 5 releases (and possibly some of the earlier less unstable 2017 releases).

Really well done Unity team, great to see you are finally focusing on importance of editor workflow, speed and reliability.

I hope you continue to move in this direction, its a night and day difference.

I dont want to start getting hyped in case of a u-turn, but if direction continues like this (with focus on workflow, speed and reliability (incl documentation) being the only main focus for the next couple of upcoming releases, and all the extra feature stuff being worked on in the background like we have now instead of the other way around as it was before) then we are headed back to the glory days!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    Trisibo, gasppol, Bosozuki and 8 others like this.
  22. JU52

JU52

Found the reason, the update deselects the component - sorry for the trouble

LeonhardP likes this.
  23. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Yes, it has changed.

Bosozuki and BigRookGames like this.
  24. Rohach

Rohach

If you install any external Asset (I installed "EasyRoads3D Pro v3" or "Bolt") and then open the "Script Execution Order settings" - from it, when adding a new script to the list use the Plus (+) button, show the error "ArgumentException: An item with the same key has already been added" appears. I had "Key: Assets / EasyRoads3D / lib / EasyRoads3Dv3.dll.meta" or "Key: Assets / Ludiq / Assemblies / Bolt.Core.Runtime.dll.meta". I have no duplicates of these files in the project. The project is new and clean.
    Is this because of the newer version of C#? Is this a mistake on the side of the Asset authors?

25. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

This is a known issue: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/1293477/

A fix for 2020.2 is in the works.

valarnur likes this.
  26. optimise

optimise

Hi @LeonhardP. Can u tell package manager team to improve this annoying UX? When I press refresh button, it should just automatically refresh it instead of pop up menu below. It should only pop up menu when I press downward triangle button.

upload_2020-12-16_21-46-52.png

27. Rohach

Rohach

Thank you. Will wait. But the questionable convenience of rewinding the sheet with scripts by pressing the triangle without the possibility of scrolling or searching by name remains.

28. Luemus

Luemus

My game had a significant FPS loss (around 700ish, from 1100FPS to 300FPS) after migration from 2019.1.11f1 to 2020.2.0f1. Changing layout from "Tall" to "Default" gave around 100 FPS boost. Any help with this?

29. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

JesOb and Luemus like this.
  30. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

See comments above, its not had an actual FPS Loss its just that the stats reporting FPS is more accurate now. They were crazy off before.

LeonhardP and Luemus like this.
  31. Luemus

Luemus

Oh, okay thanks. That's really good then!

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  32. diesoftgames

diesoftgames

Thank you for clarifying. In hindsight I'm seeing how this preview style could be problematic for other uses for multiple sprites, but I use it primarily for sprite sheets and would love to have this kind of preview built right in.

33. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi @jerry_lh,

Could you please submit a bug report for this issue, ideally with a reproduction project attached, so we can look into it? This is not a known issue as far as I can tell.

Edit: Found a related known issue after all. A fix is already in 2021.1 and will be backported to 2020.2 and LTS versions as well.

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/1257101/

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    tonialatalo likes this.
  34. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

LeonhardP likes this.
  35. Thimo_

Thimo_

Any news on the AR Foundation editor play mode (instant preview like) testing feature? It was said that it would release with Unity 2020.2 but I couldn't find it in the release notes or as an announcement in the AR threads.

tonialatalo likes this.
  36. bran_r

bran_r

Hi! The new features seem great! I just wanted to ask, is the new behavior of the AspectRatioFitter intentional? It starts to adjust the layout only after a resize, both in the editor and in a build.

37. Safemilk

Safemilk

Anyone else getting all white lightmaps back after baking in this new version? Mine is outputting white maps and it's resulting in a fully dark light back with no GI. Rebuilt the scene again and baked again and same result. Wondering if I'm missing something. upload_2020-12-16_14-46-9.png

38. magehuntz

magehuntz

This water shader flickers and I don't know why. If I remove the vertex displacement, the flickering stops (that's what I've done at the end of the video). What's funny is that if I turn the transparent prepass off under HDRP Settings, the flickering also stops, even if the vertex displacement is on, but the screen space reflection disappears as a result. I'd like to keep both vertex displacement and SSR on, but I can't get rid of this flickering. Does anybody know how to deal with this?

39. Rich_A

Rich_A

Can you please make it easier to change lighting falloff to legacy or any other option? We shouldn't need to hack the lighting.hlsl file (using obscure user forum posts for guidance) and override lightmapper settings on every scene with custom scripts - there should be a standard UI for this.

40. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

I've forwarded your question to the team.

Behavioural changes for this component don't sound intentional. Could you please submit a bug report for this with reproduction steps attached and a description of the current versus the expected behaviour?

Could you please submit a bug report with a reproduction project for this issue so we can have a look?

Is the flickering an effect of upgrading to 2020.2 or did it used to work in a previous version? If it's new, could you please submit a bug report for it?

I've forwarded your feedback to the team.

41. mfuad

mfuad

Hi @thimo, looks like I already responded to your other thread here.

Thimo_ likes this.
  42. newguy123

newguy123

2020.2 looks awesome!

I'm not sure where to ask this question:
    Where can I find more info for a TEAM workflow for Artists? For example can 3 or 4 artist work on the same project at the same time and each see the other's changes live?

1 Artist will create and export model assets from a DCC directly to the /assets/models folder
    Another artist will create and assign materials
    Another artist will place the assets in the scene
    Another artist will setup lighting

Can all this be done simultanously? (similarly to how multiple people can edit a single google sheet at the same time)

43. Bosozuki

Bosozuki

Impressive Tech release! Congrats to the Unity Team!

We were not expecting 2020.2 tech release this early :)
    A few of us decided to come into the office this weekend and upgrade our core tech from 2019. We expected issues to crop up but the upgrade went pretty flawless.

And... multiple inspector windows is super awesome!

44. NikolaiS

NikolaiS

Try to add the following strings:
    gradleTemplate.properties file:
    unityStreamingAssets=.unity3d**STREAMING_ASSETS**

mainTemplate.gradle file in
    aaptOptions section:
    unityStreamingAssets.tokenize(',')

Unity shows a hint what to do in case of this issue in case Custom Gradle Properties Template and Custom Main Gradle Template checkboxes are unchecked: https://gyazo.com/e9b0cfe33adefe4446c8e1e8251e6e07

Thaina likes this.
  45. Thaina

Thaina

Thank you very much
    Are there anything changed between 2020.1 and 2020.2 to require this change?

JesOb likes this.
  46. nanasei0548

nanasei0548

Hello,
    Please where and how do I download the standard assets for Unity3d 2020.1.16f1. Kindly help me out ASAP for my project advancement

47. Mauri

Mauri

There are no
    Standard Assets
    for anything above
    Unity 2018.4
    . You can find the old ones here, but they require these fixes to work properly in newer versions of Unity. All in all, this package is considered legacy/deprecated, so you may want to switch over to supported alternatives (e.g. Character Controllers from Opsive, AQUAS 2020 for water from Dogmatic, etc...) instead.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  48. P1st3ll1

P1st3ll1

Safemilk likes this.
  49. snacktime

snacktime

Our first impressions not great upgrading from 2020.1/SRP 9.x.

Performance immediate significant drop by around 6ms in the render thread. Probably fixable by retuning but I mean really that amount could not have been something you guys didn't know and should have documented.

Undocumented changes in case sensitivity in Resources.Load. Minor but still not documented really?

50. studentvz

studentvz

I need to admit, our mobile game on iOS finally looks smooth, there is no that buggy, micro stutters, stutters, and jittering. Before I get too optimistic, we tested only the most problematic portion of our performance issues, we will test more in the following days.

But other problems arise:
    iOS: Incremented minimum iOS version to 11.0
    At first, it was stated in the documentation that the minimum iOS version will be 10.0, but now it is 11.0. Is this really an important increment?
    We still have around 8% of users on iOS 9.3 and about 6.5% on iOS 10.x. If you combine that we will lose 14.5% of users, that is 14.5% revenue cut out only because of this increment. We could take a hit of losing 8% and move over to iOS 10.x, but moving to 11.0 and losing 14.5% is too much.
    Another thread about this: https://forum.unity.com/threads/why-the-minimum-is-ios-11.765374/

iOS: Removed OpenGL ES support on iOS/tvOS.
    Some user devices don't support Metal, this also makes moving to the newer Unity version quite impossible. Why forcing removal? We could easily remove it or add it by our choice in previous versions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.