Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2020.2 Could not load file or assembly 'Unity.Addressables.Editor' or one of its dependencies

Discussion in 'Addressables' started by Kholeslaw, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Kholeslaw

Kholeslaw

Addressables 1.16.15

I upgraded my project from 2020.1 and had this problem when I tried running it in the editor. The solution was to delete the Library folder and allow 2020.2 to reimport everything. This worked for a bit until the error came back.
    I'm not sure what causes this problem to come and go, but reimporting the whole project is a pain.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

thx Android - Unity 2020.2.0f1 _DX11_.png

2. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

Let me flag with the team for a bit of guidance. Replies might take a bit as we roll into the holidays. :)

3. davidla_unity

davidla_unity

Unity Technologies

This is a weird one. It sounds like it's more an issue with the Editor since you only started seeing this after upgrading the Editor version. You were on Addressables 1.16.15 before upgrading your Unity Editor version, correct?

The line it's failing on is trying to load the Addressables.Editor assembly for the AssetDatabase Mode playmode script. If it's an Editor issue there may not be much we can do at the moment. As far as working it around it on the Addressables side you could try using Simulate Groups mode. That would still have quicker iteration times (quicker that Use Existing Build, anyway) and should avoid that code path.

Regardless of if it's us or the Editor team, please file a bug so that it can get assigned to the correct team and taken care of. Thank you!

4. Kholeslaw

Kholeslaw

bug tracker 1307027

This happens on code compilation. Either after making a change in Visual Studio and clicking back on the Editor, or quite often, after an Addressables build completes. This triggers a code compilation and Unity immediately cannot find its own assemblies. It happens randomly. There is no pattern that I can see that triggers it.

Yes, I was using 1.16.15. I upgraded to 1.17.0, hoping it might fix the issue. I am currently on 1.17.2 and experiencing the same problem.

I believe it to be an Editor issue as well. Addressables gets caught up in it first probably because alphabetical order.
    I feel like it is related to "In Unity 2020.2, we designed several features to help optimize compilation times."
    I just discovered I can deactivate the Roslyn compilation features, so I will see if that may have an effect.

thanks