Search Unity

Official Unity 2020.1 release - AR/VR updates

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by mfuad, Jul 23, 2020.

1. mfuad

mfuad

Unity Technologies

Unity 2020.1 is now available; more information on this release can be found in our blog post. Starting with Unity 2020.1, XR Plug-in Management in Project Settings is the only way to enable AR/VR in your project.

Unity 2019 LTS remains the recommended version for projects in production. For those who are interested in upgrading their projects to Unity 2020.1, refer to our upgrade guide (including an FAQ) to help assist you.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  2. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

That's a nice, clear, doc - thanks.

There are some typos and bits where I think more info would be helpful - but your doc is configured to block all copying of text :( :( :( so I can't tell you which bits. I've never blocked copy/paste on a google doc before, but I'd recommend removing that if possible - it's not cool having to take screenshots and email them to colleagues instead of just copy/paste.

3. beatdesign

beatdesign

Hi, we still need OculusIntegration to work with OculusQuest HandTracking, am I right?
    How can we install it in Unity 2020.x, if there there is no AssetStore window, and PackegeManager doesn't list it? Moreover, OculusIntegration worked by enabling Oculus support via ProjectSettings/Player/XR section.. that in Unity 2020.x is not supported. How can we handle that?
    Thank you

4. mfuad

mfuad

Unity Technologies

Try reloading the doc, you should be able to copy text now. Feel free to DM me where you think there are typos and sections that could use more information.

a436t4ataf likes this.
  5. mfuad

mfuad

Unity Technologies

That is correct, you still need the Oculus Integration package to enable hand tracking on the Oculus Quest. Hand tracking is not yet supported in Unity's XR Interaction Toolkit. Here are the steps you'll need to take:
    1. Install the Oculus Integration package from the Asset Store. Download the package in your project by going to Window > Package Manager and select My Assets.
    2. Select Oculus under the Android tab in Project Settings > XR Plug-in Management. Note that you'll need to have the Android build module installed for the Android tab to appear.
    3. Refer to Oculus documentation on how to set up hand tracking, add hands to scene, and configure OVRHandPrefab.
    Enabling Oculus support via Project Settings > Player > XR is no longer a supported path in 2020.1 and later. Instead, you'll need to select Oculus in Project Settings > XR Plug-in Management. Once selected, Unity will install the Oculus XR Plug-in for you, which has replaced the deprecated built-in Oculus packages (Oculus Android & Oculus Desktop).

beatdesign and a436t4ataf like this.
  6. rmon222

rmon222

"“Single pass” is no longer supported in 2020.1 as “single pass instanced” is most performant???"

Just great. Half the assets I bought from the asset store don't work with single pass instanced :(

7. mutp

mutp

8. mutp

mutp

Are there any guides for upgrading from Multipass/Single Pass to Single Pass instanced? Need to do it for a bunch of my shaders.

ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  9. KeithT

KeithT

Since 2020.1, I keep getting warnings that "Virtual Reality Support is enabled...landscape left will be used.blah blah" and it should be disabled, see attached screenshot. I searched everywhere for the tick box for this with no luck. Anyone know where this is?

Attached Files:

10. mfuad

mfuad

Unity Technologies

Once you click "Ok", built-in VR will automatically be disabled. Are you still getting the notification after you click "Ok"?

11. daves

daves

Unity Technologies

Have a look at this page which describes the shader macros we use to support Single-Pass Instancing (which also take care of all the other modes as well). (and please ignore the out-of-date goop at the top of the page :eek:)

fherbst, hessex, a436t4ataf and 2 others like this.
  12. KeithT

KeithT

I've seen the popup a few times, but not tracked when it appears, my focus was on trying to turn VR off. I will try and figure out when it appears. I'm using MRTK and I think it does something re VR settings when it first runs, but then the option no longer appear subsequently.

There is permanent warning in Project Settings -> Player. See attached.

Attached Files:

13. mfuad

mfuad

Unity Technologies

Yes, you still need to include the Oculus Integration package (make sure you're using the latest version). See the previous comment I made on how to install the package.

mutp likes this.
  14. methusalah999

methusalah999

I've had that too. Unity was disableing the obsolete built-in VR, and SteamVR Unity intergation was enabling it back automatically, creating an annoying loop.

Hope it helps.

15. KeithT

KeithT

I have the message popup on every play press, so indeed very annoying. Think must by MRTK, but it removes config of options after first application, so not worked out, how to change it.

16. methusalah999

methusalah999

It may be wise to wait for all the asset you use to support 2020.1 before switching Unity version.

17. BrianClarkson

BrianClarkson

When will hand tracking be available in XR interaction Toolkit? No updates to fuctionality since April! Is this feature on the horizon or have Unity lost interest? not a dig just genuine concern. Legacy interactions are being deprecated left right and centre.

jenny_unity566, gjf and a436t4ataf like this.
  18. loppirob

loppirob

I upgraded my project from version 2019.4.5 to version 2020.1.3 and now i cant see Oculus rift mirror to pc screen, i can see the scene only in Oculus rift visor.
    Before upgrade all works ok, my scene were visible in Oculus visor and on pc monitor.
    UnityUpgradeProblem.JPG

19. Magasenakwa

Magasenakwa

All these years of complaining about not being able to install packages that are already downloaded without needing to be online to do so and now they finally say "You can no longer even ACCESS the Asset Store now. From now on, just use the package manager instead of the Asset Store"

... and then they complete the sentence with "but just be sure you are online if you want to browse which assets are on your hard drive."

...and add to that "Also, we only fetch your content in batches so be prepared for lots of clicks to just see your local content. Also, if you change tabs from your content to installed content and back to your content, be advised that we need to fetch all that info about your local content from online again,, starting with only the first 25 assets"

What an improvement.

ROBYER1 likes this.
  20. Chris45215

Chris45215

Unity has me confused on how you want the VR system to work - but I think it's mostly a documentation and examples issue, rather than fundamental problems. I'm using 2020.1.6f1 at this moment while writing this. The instructions https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.1/Documentation/Manual/VROverview.html imply that we need to separately download the plugins for Oculus, OpenVR, etc - I'd hope that the XR plugin would either download the most common ones for us, or would tell us within Unity that we should download them. XR Plug-in Management is in Project Settings; use the checkboxes in that menu to trigger the downloads for those individual plugins and manage any version issues. And the "OpenVR Loader" label is confusing - is that for OpenVR overall, or is the loader only one specific component and thus I need to add more?

Next, in probably the most critical step in the documentation (https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.1/Documentation/Manual/configuring-project-for-xr.html), "From Unity’s main menu, go to GameObject > XR > Add XR Rig" - that option doesn't exist. There is a "Convert main camera to XR Rig" option, but no "Add XR Rig" option. I'm using the HDRP pipeline, and I've tried this with both the default sample scene and a brand new one, and there is no "Add XR Rig" option, just the convert option.

This creates the problem that the camera conversion doesn't add any additional trackers like hand controllers or tracking pucks. Maybe the "Add XR Rig" functionality would create a prefab that includes those trackers, maybe not, I can't tell. And I don't see any such prefab anywhere in the project files. So, in order to add the hand trackers, I had to take guesses - it seems that adding extra TrackedPoseDrivers may be the correct option. It would be great if there was a way to get the button input from these controllers (that documentation seems to be under Legacy Input Helpers, and "Legacy" generally means it's not the current suggested method, so I have no ideas on that one), or to have prefabs with models for the most common controllers. A real, proper sample scene, or implementation of that "Add XR Rig" option and clearer documentation, would go a long way.

By the way, the functionality in the "Convert main camera to XR Rig" tool should update the Clipping Plane of the camera. The default minimum of 0.3 meters is far too high; it will hide your own hand controller from you. It should be set to 0.05 meters or less, preferably less. Further, the documentation references Preview packages, but it seems that the process to show those has disappeared - someone changed the workflow to display preview packages, and the control is now a checkbox in Project Settings -> Package Manager. In my opinion, the workflow described in the documentation is superior.

I hope this isn't too much of a rant, but these are issues that I encountered over the last two days when trying to set up a new VR project. I got the basics working, but it is a puzzle with jumbled pieces.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    fherbst, Shizola and ROBYER1 like this.
  21. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

You should definitely report some of these issues using the Unity Bug Reporter! https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

Chris45215 likes this.
  22. pranvokua9

pranvokua9

Hi everyone, not sure where to ask this, but I am working with the Hololens2 and most of the tutorials suggest enabling microphone capability under project settings > player > publishing settings > capabilities. However, there is no longer a publishing settings in Unity 2020.1.5f1. I have the Winows XR Plugin package installed and update to 3.3.1. Are all of the capabilities automicatically enabled or what?

23. budwheizzah99

budwheizzah99

When using URP with Oculus in SPI mode, enabling post-processing on any camera that has an overlay stack causes the left-eye to go grey. This is a bug that dates from URP 7.x - we are at 8.2.0 at the moment and the bug is still not fixed. How can we even trust Unity as the "goto" XR engine when it's clear nobody cares.

Switching to Multipass solves the post-processing problem, but also breaks any and all camera overlay stacks as they become invisible, so it's not a valid workaround unless one expects zero UI overlays in their project, which happens very much never.

You've pulled the rug on us twice with the XR framework causing needless amounts of additional work in our projects, and now enormous engine-breaking VR bugs just get left behind, fixed but not tested, and the claims made in the documentation come off as if there is literally zero people testing VR at Unity.

This page https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c.../manual/integration-with-post-processing.html
    comically states: "In VR apps and games, certain post-processing effects can cause nausea and disorientation. To reduce motion sickness in fast-paced or high-speed apps, use the Vignette effect for VR, and avoid the effects Lens Distortion, Chromatic Aberration, and Motion Blur for VR."
    which is an outright lie, intentional or not. Enabling post-processing with URP instangtly renders any and all VR unusable.

This needs to be fixed, and Unity needs to stop reinventing the wheel every 3 months because staff is bored and feel like completely rewriting a bunch of frameworks.

ROBYER1 and arbt like this.
  24. arbt

arbt

Definitely agree with this!

25. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Thanks for the post on this also, I am working on a Quest and Rift app with 9.0 URP. Looking to move to URP 10.0 soon, I am hoping to get some good screenshots with Post processing on in the rift version which I haven't tried out since 8.0 since it was completely broken then while using Single Pass Instanced.

If I have any interesting findings, I will post back.

Please submit a bug report using the unity bug reporter to get this issue raised.

26. budwheizzah99

budwheizzah99

The problem is that this issue has already been reported, tracked on GitHub and Unity's own issue tracker, pretend-resolved (it was never resolved) and marked as fixed by someone who likely needs to be fired.

It's an absolute joke, just see here, they think they fixed it.
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...-camera-stacking-and-enabling-post-processing
    I just wasted an (yet another) hour getting Unity 2020.2 because they incorrectly say it's fixed in that version. Such behavior by staff is infuriating to the point where I wonder if it's intentional.

Now I need to waste a few (more) hours in my day creating a simple project to show Unity staff that they're lying. I guess I can do that, but my level of trust in these buffoons right now is negative one million out of ten.

PS: This basically affects all Oculus headsets.

27. Farbanaf895

Farbanaf895

Hi, im begginer who trying to learn creating AR Projects. And currently im using Vuforia AR. but why i cant find it on Gameobjects? where can i find it? thank you

28. AdamBebko

AdamBebko

In the document linked in the first post about updating to 2020.1, there's zero mention of SteamVR? this is rather surprising to me since it's one of the most used frameworks.

29. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Can we expect to see any support for Google MediaPipe AR? It's cross-platform, doesn't require AR initialisation and they can do almost everything but depth map so far

:eek: Instant Motion Tracking on any device: https://forum.unity.com/threads/ar-...le-mediapipe-instant-motion-tracking.1016527/

:cool: 3d Object Detection: https://forum.unity.com/threads/ar-...ject-detection-with-google-mediapipe.1016224/

Seems like this is advancing a lot faster than the developments in ARCore already so I expect it could outright replace it at some point in the near future?

KyryloKuzyk, colinleet and beatdesign like this.
  30. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

I can't get Oculus hand tracking to work in any Unity version above 2019.4. I need at least 2020.1 because of other libraries. Even using the newest Oculus Integration v 25 from Feb 19th does not help. As many on the forum have noted, the hand anchor positions are being tracked, but the skinned hand meshes are gone ... as I understand, it because of compatibility issues with XR Plug-In Management. @mfuad is this the state of things? Or am I missing something?