Search Unity

Official Unity 2020.1 Is Now Available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by LeonhardP, Jul 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kan15hkSMT

Kan15hkSMT

I am updating from Unity 2020.1.0b13. After b13, when I tried to update to b16 this TMP showed up. So I am assuming somewhere between those 2 versions is where the issue lies and is still present in the official 2020 release. TMP is already on version 3.0.0 so that hasn't been updated.

We do not use any Assembly Definitions for our scripts.

Could you recommend how I can confirm if there is a source control issue that is causing the TMP bug?

2. Stephan_B

Stephan_B

What version of 2020.1 are you using right now? 2020.1.0f1 is the latest. The latest version of TMP for 2020.x is version 3.0.1 which is available via the package manager.

I would recommend making a backup of the project and then using this backup, delete the Library folder and project solution files to see if the issue goes away after that. Again make sure you test this on some backup.

3. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Yes, the fix didn't land yet. It's currently being reviewed. I meant to say that it has been fixed internally, sorry for the confusion.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ah... :)

Any idea what version will get it? It's a pretty nasty bug... :(

5. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Nothing definitive but it's a high priority issue. The only thing I can say is that it's not going to make it into a20. You will know that it will arrive within the next two releases of one of the affected major versions, once the Issue Tracker status for those versions changes to fixed.

2020-07-30_17-51-50.png

Deleted User likes this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

The issue tracker status has been modified, it's clearer now.

Capture d’écran_2020-07-31_07-29-27.png

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  7. Jaimi

Jaimi

Hmm. First project I opened (2018.4). Began to convert, and then "Unity.licensing.client has stopped working" dialog. Followed by a whole bunch of shader compiler dialogs stopped working.

8. firstuser

firstuser

Not sure if this might help you but try do an intermediate conversion where you upgrade to 2019.4.6 first then to 2020.1, had to do that workaround in the past on other versions.

9. Jaimi

Jaimi

Reopening fixed it. I think the issue was that Visual Studio was also open, and popped up a dialog because the solution changed during the upgrade.

10. salmonslay

salmonslay

Is it just me or is 2020.1.0f1 a lot slower than the previous version? I used to be able to start the game in a second, but now I get this for ~5-15 seconds every time i start the app, with no changes to the code.
    upload_2020-8-4_2-29-19.png
    Update, tried to just close the game running and now i've been stuck at this for 4 minutes
    upload_2020-8-4_2-37-55.png

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
  11. Jaimi

Jaimi

No, it's not just you. It feels significantly slower to me also. The official response during the beta was it was always this slow, but we didn't realize it without the dialog. However, comparing it to 2018.4 it feels much slower to open and execute.

12. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

If your project or the Editor is running slower with 2020.1 compared to previous versions, please submit bug reports, ideally with reproduction projects.

Can you please point out where this has been said? Just to clarify, if there is a measurable regression in performance, then that's something we will look into if you can provide us with a reproducible. It is just a possibility that, since the "Hold on..." message has been introduced in 2020.1, you are now being made aware of waiting times that you haven't noticed before. If waiting times are now actually longer or if there are more waiting times than before, that's an issue.

firstuser likes this.
  13. Jaimi

Jaimi

I reviewed the earlier thread and you're correct, I was paraphrasing badly, and that is not what was said. I retract my statement and apologize.

LeonhardP likes this.
  14. FlipGizmo

FlipGizmo

I'm having this problem too. Any new states I create show up fine but most preexisting states/blend trees/transitions, especially inside sub-states, are blank in the inspector so I can't edit them. Even if I duplicate a blank state it still doesn't display anything. The animator is currently unusable.

chrisabranch likes this.
  15. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

The affected states don't show up in the inspector due to changes in the Animation Controller caused by this bug: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/1251586/

This bug has been fixed since 2019.4.4 and 2020.1.b14 (that's why new files work as expected) but unfortunately already affected files have to be modified manually to be fixed.

To fix the issue in your project, open the affected Animation Controllers externally (via a text editor) and change the m_ObjectHideFlags property for the affected states from 3 to 1.

FlipGizmo, chrisabranch and firstuser like this.
  16. illyTheKid

illyTheKid

Does anyone have issues with Visual Studio after updating? VS doesn't complete Unity code anymore. Typing stuff like Debug and GameObject isn't highlighted either.

17. FlipGizmo

FlipGizmo

This fixed the issue, thanks.

Very important to uncheck 'Always use this app to open .controller files' when opening in notepad, otherwise the animator controller gets corrupted when duplicating. I don't know how to reset the file association after that happens.

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  18. chrisabranch

chrisabranch

Go to Edit / preferences / External Tools. in External script editor add Visual Studio.

19. firstuser

firstuser

VS and VS Code (on mac at least) have been breaking for me on every version combination since both products released, most common issue being exactly what you're describing with autocomplete getting disabled.

I know this doesn't solve your issue but if you are able to switch to Rider I'd highly recommend it, no issues with autocomplete breaking since the switch (although I have tested VS time to time and within a day or two run into same autocomplete gone issue)

20. FlipGizmo

FlipGizmo

Which version of Visual Studio are you using? I had tons of trouble with 2017 not linking to the editor, but I haven't had any trouble with 2019.

21. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

22. snacktime

snacktime

No idea what the trigger is but I'm seeing the editor trigger windows 10 to commit up to 60gb of virtual memory just for Unity. Where ram usage had peaked at probably 6gb.

ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  23. MlleBun

MlleBun

Hi @LeonhardP, sorry I didn't check but I was wondering if an Update All Packages might be a Unity's feature in the future? Thanks.

Cheeeese, firstuser, WolveX and 2 others like this.
  24. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah, that would be welcome. It's probably been asked already but it cost nothing to ask again. ;)

MlleBun and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  25. truefx001

truefx001

@LeonhardP I have a large scene and there is now a constant loop of the following messages not able to do anything it just never ends. jPK5yrkLeI.png Unity_roB8QcbCR4.png

Another thing why do I have to check Root Motion to all Animations now for my NPC's animals to walk properly if I don't they walk and snap back in a loop.

And the Editor is still very laggy when showing a large scene view, even if it's zoomed into a small corner of the scene, it laggs out the entire editor, when you switch to another tab and with that cover the scene view tab everything becomes fast again. There is a need of occlusion culling and other performance boosts in scene view it's impossible to work with a large open world scene like this.

Last thing, automatic mesh and terrain placement of gameobjects would be very helpful, like I described the above lag it's making placing gameobjects almost impossible and some end up floating above the terrain because the scene movement is freezing up like crazy.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  26. yanghai

yanghai

Unity Technologies

Hi, could you please elaborate on "I have to check Root Motion to all Animations now"?
    - Humanoid or Generic?
    - What Root Motion option are you referring to exactly?
    ... please summarize your NPC root motion set-up and I will try to help you on this.

27. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi @MlleBun, the team is aware of the request and they are evaluating it.

MlleBun and Deleted User like this.
  28. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Could you please submit a bug report for this, ideally with a reproducible attached?

29. firstuser

firstuser

@LeanhardP do you know if there are any plans to bring back updating asset store assets easily from within package manager? Currently you can't filter by assets which need updating from within Unity package manager like in the previous Asset Store.

30. alexrvn

alexrvn

Unity Technologies

Heya! Could you take a snapshot with the memory profiler and throw it over? that seems very suspicious. Also could you describe what you were doing when this happened. Is this behavior consistent?

Cheers,
    Alex

31. snacktime

snacktime

Ya next time it happens I will. The memory section in the profiler shows nothing that reflects the virtual memory usage if that's what you mean. I sort of suspect the Crest water system it seems to be a trigger. not directly anything it's doing so much as graphics api bugs it might be triggering as I was on the beta's for quite some time and never saw this.

alexrvn likes this.
  32. snacktime

snacktime

Hit another strange bug with visual studio. This could be VS itself as I just upgraded to 16.7 yesterday, but who knows if it's possibly some Unity specific integration gone wrong also.

Some files just stop reporting as being changed. So save does nothing. Seems to be a change in behaviour where it used to lock the file you were in for writes after a solution reload, you had to switch to another file and back to write to it. I think it's the same trigger but now said file never shows as changed and switching to another file and back doesn't resolve it.

33. firstuser

firstuser

Having an issue where sometimes package manager doesn't let you refresh "My Assets" or see any of them.

Restarting Unity Hub doesn't help, only fixed by restarting Unity.

Seems like an auth expiring issue or something?

Not sure how to reproduce this without waiting really, 20-40 minutes or so without going into that part of package manager and it usually will stop working.

Happy to provide more details if you let me know what you need to debug it.

34. snacktime

snacktime

Actually VS 16.7 is pretty much hosed might not be Unity related at all. In addition to the above reloads got me into a state where VS thinks windows are dropped and you can't close them or even VS itself, have to terminate the process.

35. truefx001

truefx001

Hi it's Humanoid and it's all my animals that in previous versions would walk normally with Navmesh and now since the update all the ones that are not checked marked Root Motion they walk and snap back in a loop. Like walking normally for couple of steps and then being pulled back to start position in a loop.

36. khan-amil

khan-amil

Hi, we've tried updating to 2020.1 but the shader "Sprite Unlit" doesn't seem to work anymore.
    Even creating a new graph using that from shadergraph doesn't work.

Is there any known issue with it?

37. vivek4148

vivek4148

HI,
    I am not able to find asset bundle browser in Unity 2020.1. Please help.

Attached Files:

38. docsavage

docsavage

2020.1.2f1 - DARK THEME FREE FOR ALL USERS!!!!!!

Massive thanks Unity - massive thanks!

Eyes around the world are celebrating.

toomasio, Djayp, FloRul and 4 others like this.
  39. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Yes, improvements in this area are on the team's backlog. Unfortunately I can't give you an ETA at this point.

It doesn't look like we have anything logged for this. Could you please submit a bug report with reproduction steps?

Here's why: https://forum.unity.com/threads/visibility-changes-for-preview-packages-in-2020-1.910880/

You can still add it by editing your project manifest, or by typing in the package name (com.unity.assetbundlebrowser) under Add package from git URL in the Package Manager.

firstuser likes this.
  40. Cheeeese

Cheeeese

I agree, Package Manager needs an update all. I'm not too crazy about the Package Manager new look either. It's dark gray with everything stacked up in not very contrasting black. I like the 2019 one better because its light with bright icons and I can tell what's what in there. I don't have to select every asset to check what's in there. I have 1477 packages, I need visual cues, not endless lines of black text. I still have 2019 installed just to manage my packages until they fix 2020. It's still early in the release so maybe it'll get better.

41. powersupersport

powersupersport

I might be interrupting some discussion, but I really wanted to say "thank you" to you guys at unity somewhere for finally bringing the dark theme to the free version. At first I thought it was a bug, but I read the blog post and it says it's released for the free version. It's something I anticipated for the longest time and it brings me an enormous amount of joy seeing that after so much negotiation it's finally here.

Thank you!

firstuser likes this.
  42. kone9

kone9

Could you add the option to enlarge the editor user interface in linux?
    I am using linux mint version XFCE and the editor looks very small. Unlike windows it does not seem to have the option to change the DPI ... This option is in the user preferences, but in linux they are not.

43. kone9

kone9

Could you add the option to enlarge the editor user interface in linux?
    I am using linux mint version XFCE and the editor looks very small. Unlike windows it does not seem to have the option to change the DPI ... This option is in the user preferences, but in linux they are not.

44. christianmahler

christianmahler

What did you do with 2020.1.2? I had very long wait times going in Editormode with progress bar, now no more progress bar and zero wait time. And thx for dark mode.

45. Francoimora

Francoimora

Hi @LeonhardP , The problem with Sprite Unlit node in shader graph happens only with our updated project from 2019.3.4f1 (no problem when creating a new project). Creating a new shader with sprite unlit as master node doesn't output anything, even in the Shader Graph preview window.

46. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

There was a bug that caused the Editor to do unnecessary extra work which has now been fixed:

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/product/unity/issues/guid/1260657/

47. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Could you please send us a bug report with a version of your project in 2019.3 that breaks in the described way once upgraded to 2020.1? You can find a guide to bug reporting in my signature.

48. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

I understand your frustration, especially on a 4k monitor. Our supported window manager is GNOME, which does have UI scaling. However, no distro supports fractional scaling in the UI until Ubuntu 20.04. So your choices are 100%, 200% etc. And the jump is huge.

The way I work around this is by using GNOME's "Universal Access" settings and enable large fonts.

You are welcome to log a bug and request the feature for in-app scaling using "Help > Report a Bug". Since scaling often involves platform-specific code, however, it won't be as easy as us flipping a switch.

kone9 likes this.
  49. dCalle

dCalle

A different Question: (raodmap Q&A is closed already) Microsoft announced Source generators as a feature of C# 9, will that be available in Unity? what about conflicts with Burst? Thanks in advance ;-)

JesOb likes this.
  50. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

dCalle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.