Search Unity

Unity 2020.1 Alpha: has the linker target/webassembly streaming option been removed?

Discussion in 'Web' started by lightmapper, Jan 8, 2020.

1. lightmapper

lightmapper

I was testing 2020 and now I can't find the option to build with webassembly. Has the option been changed or removed in this alpha?

vitorpiresa likes this.
  2. OneManArmy3D

OneManArmy3D

3. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

The linker target has been removed from the editor settings and it will output WASM by default since it is now available in all supported browsers.

4. De-Panther

De-Panther

@Schubkraft notice that there's no way to know that when upgrading an old project, and the files that the asm.js will output also has wasm in their names, at least on 2019.1

5. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

Well, the linker option was removed in 19.1 already, so it isn't mentioned in the release notes for 2020.1 which I can see might be confusing when upgrading from 18.4LTS or something. Maybe we need an accumulated release notes version for people jumping from LTS to LTS?

De-Panther likes this.
  6. De-Panther

De-Panther

That might help, but I think that it's confusing that when you use asm.js, the output has some files with "wasm" in their names

7. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

There shouldn't be any files names WASM when making an asm.js only build. What file named like that are you getting when making an asm.js build?

8. De-Panther

De-Panther

Unity 2019.1
    LinkerTarget = asm.js
    WasmStreaming = true

BUILD_NAME.wasm.code.unityweb
    BUILD_NAME.wasm.framework.unityweb

9. Schubkraft

Schubkraft

Unity Technologies

Ok, since you added wasm streaming there needs to be some wasm to stream though. While a bit confusing naming wise I'm not sure how to make that more clearer, especially given that in current version there is only wasm being emitted anyway.

10. De-Panther

De-Panther

This is the confusing part, as I upgraded the project, I assumed that now unity will use wasm, and I also checked the wasm streaming, the output had wasm in the file names, so I thought that I was using wasm, but when I checked the files content and the console log, it was ASM.JS...

I had to edit the PlayerSettings file, to really use WASM...