Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Question Unity 2020.1.3f1 and Perforce login details. Help needed from Unity Technologies !!

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Eugenio, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Eugenio

Eugenio

Hello everyone !! :)

I migrated my project to the latest version of Unity 2020.1.3f1.
    The project is stored in a Perforce repository.

I noticed that there is a new asset called VersionControlSettings.asset in the ProjectSettings subfolder that doesn't look it contains any info on the login and workspace etc...
    then, I went inside the UserSettings folder ad I noticed the EditorUserSettings.asset file which contains all the details (obviously encrypted) related to Perforce as well as other settings such as Advanced Settings, lightmappingDeviceAndPlatform, etc...

Now, UserSettings is a pretty self explanatory name for a folder and it shouldn't be added in the repo; moreover, I obviously don't want that every time someone submit changes to the project, the Perforce configs on each machine are overwritten.
    Although, I wonder if there is anything saved in the EditorUserSettings.asset that has to be shared so to ensure that Unity will work coherently on all machines especially seen that there are settings about lightmapping and other version control behaviours.
    For example: if I decide that Unity should allow the async update for Perforce, I would like to share that config with everyone so the "not so well informed on how Perforce works" can use the proper setup; BUT, for obvious reasons, I DON'T want that everyone use the same Perforce credentials and workspace.
    As you know, workspaces are per machine and every time the EditorUserSettings.asset file is submitted, Unity will fail the connection to the repo because the workspace is invalid for the local computer and then everyone is going to ask "why Perforce/Unity doesn't work anymore"? ;)

Thank you very much for your kindest answers. :)

mrmcduck likes this.