Search Unity

Unity 2019 & VS Professional 2017 "step into" not working and continuing

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by IceBeamGames, May 6, 2020.

1. IceBeamGames

IceBeamGames

Hello Unity peeps.

I have upgraded my version from from 2018.4.15f1 to 2019.3.11f1 and am having trouble with visual studio 2017 professional and debugging (in the editor).

After I catch the code with a breakpoint, if I "Step Into" "Step Over" or "Step Out" usually the debugger continues instead of stepping. It seems to be related to any time when I need to step into another function or file. If the code is not calling anything, then it does actually step. I've tried googling and only found this, which seems to be mac related and already fixed: https://developercommunity.visualst...-debugger-step-into-or-step-over-problem.html

Anyone experiencing similar issues? Any idea on how to fix this? I notice that its listed as a problem on the "Troubleshooting and known issues (Visual Studio Tools for Unity)" page. But that's for VS 2015.

Currently I am having to use breakpoints everywhere to debug anything, and its maddening.

2. spacefrog

spacefrog

Ha - hit by exact the same problem here ATM.
    Happens since my update from 2019.2.21 to 2019.3.11F1 yesterday
    College of mine seems to be not affected though ( on the same project ) - so i'm not quite sure whats the reason for this ..
    I know that 2019.3.12F1 introduced a problem with visualstudio, so maybe something was already broken with 2019.3.f11F1 ?.
    Currently installing 2019.3.13F1 and hope for the best that this cures the problem

3. IceBeamGames

IceBeamGames

I actually moved onto visual studio 2019 (community) which also fixes the problem. Although that seems to cause a fair few new crashes with unity. :eek:

4. spacefrog

spacefrog

For me the upgrade to 2019.3.13f1 fixed the issue
    But might have been simply the fact that i reinstalled the whole unity folder ...

5. IceBeamGames

IceBeamGames

Yeah, I cannie to that yet for platform specific reasons.

6. spacefrog

spacefrog

Same situation with the project here - but in that platform has to live without a build for a week or so :)

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  7. bizziboi

bizziboi

I have this same issue, both with 2019.3.13f1 and with 2019.3.10f1. Have it with VS2019 and with VS2015 pro.

I can't step into functions in other dlls, unless I put a breakpoint in them - it doesn't even have to hit the breakpoint, even if I put it at the end of the function it will step in there for that debugging session.

And yes, all packages have projects generated.

Other people on the same project don't have this issue. It's proven quite the timesink trying to troubleshoot this.

8. spacefrog

spacefrog

To all people having this problem - do you have a certain handheld console unity module installed ? If yes -> there is a workaround which involves leaving a specific console SDK tool running in the background ..
    look in the related 3rd party 's unity developer forum for more details

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  9. InvincibleCat

InvincibleCat

Any chance you could disclose which SDK it is? I have some installed but not sure which one is causing the issue.
    Thanks!

10. KAJed

KAJed

Which aspect? None of the NDA covered things are running as far as I can tell. Do I need it to be running?

11. spacefrog

spacefrog

The solution is as simple as just leaving TargetManager running in the background
    Dont think i break any NDA related secret by posting this :)

adamgryu and KAJed like this.
  12. InvincibleCat

InvincibleCat

Awesome it does work :)

Thank you so much!

13. IndieMarc

IndieMarc

Wow that was exactly my issue. How are the odds of finding this, thank you so much.
    The thing is that it also makes OTHER Unity projects unrelated to that console not work in the debugger. Now with the target manager open the debugger works correctly.

I really don't understand why this solves the issue though lol. Is there a reasoning behind it so I don't have to open that manager for no reason when working on another project that is unrelated to that console?

14. spacefrog

spacefrog

As far i remember its a unity bug ( an exception gets thrown somewhere when unity tries to connect to TM and doesn't find it ). And you are right , its enough to only have that console module just installed to have the bug appear. Its not necesseray to even have the module activated.
    My initial solution was to use a batch script which simple removed/recreated a NTFS junction in the \Editor\Data\PlaybackEngines subfolder for that module ... that of course was a bit uncomfortable...

IndieMarc likes this.
  15. spacefrog

spacefrog

BTW: praise to uncover this easier solution for this bug should all go to the great staff over at that developer support forum, i'm just transporting the news to the outside world :)

Soopahfly and IndieMarc like this.
  16. Soopahfly

Soopahfly

My man! Thank you! I was about to call the men in the white coats on myself.

17. giocchan

giocchan

Thanks A LOT, I was going crazy - VC debugger kept on doing weird things when debugging something running in the editor!!!!