Search Unity

Unity 2019 reuined my game.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MdevM, May 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MdevM

MdevM

So i updated to unity 2019, then when i released a patch for my game, the text was missing for the scores, ONLY on IOS devices, and now i cant revert my project back to 2018.3 because of missing dependencies, GREAT! Seriously? any help at all? this isnt even debuggable because there's no errors.

2. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

You can always revert. But if you have done changes to prefabs etc in 2019 these might not work in 2018. So you might need to revert your git history to a point in time before 2019 upgrade. I always recommend doing migration in a branch. And all other work in the standard dev branch. All dev work is done on dev branch and than pulled into migration branch.

3. roka

roka

The Unity 2019.1.0f2 is completely broken !

First, if you do not have tried it, be ready to lose a complete day for fixing script errors , prefab problems, models problems ect ...

This is 3 bug's already reported before the official release, but they have released the version without fixing them !

UI broken when you assign a sprite by script :
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/sizedelta-broken-on-unity-2019-1-0f2.663268/
    Reported the 3 April !!!!!!!!!!!!! Too late????

PlayerPrefs not working in WebGL :
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/playerprefs-in-2019-1.665254/
    Reported the 26 March !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Are you serious???

The best one :
    Inspector input field is broken :
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/edi...field-is-broken-with-unity-2019-1-0f2.665479/
    How you can release it with a bug like this?????? really ??????

You can't do anything just because of the Inspector input field bug ..... just browse here and see how much problems everybody have with this version of Unity : https://forum.unity.com/forums/editor-general-support.10/ it's incredible ....

I have see a lot of bug's other than the bug's listed above but i will not fill any report anymore.
    We lose our time for them and for nothing.
    You can see on all post that they ask for bug report but they make official release without fixing them.

Free for you to share your Unity 2019.1.0f2 experience ..... maybe someone can show me that i'm wrong ...

Have a good day !

4. MdevM

MdevM

The best part is my game won't roll back to an older version without lots of errors regarding packages and managers, I dont understand why unity releases a new version like every day, why not just take your time and release proper ones that dont completely ruin entire projects? My game is on the store with no text at all what the hell? absolute joke!!

5. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

You need to remove the library folder. Or just start over from a new git clone

6. Antypodish

Antypodish

There are warnings on every step, before updating project.
    But surely having backup, before updating, so there won't be an issue.

upload_2019-5-1_16-15-19.png

Older version of Unity

upload_2019-5-1_16-16-33.png

And if I remember, there is at least one more warning regarding making backup, before update.

7. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I have never understood that warning, they should instead warn that the game must be under version control

8. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I have had many issues with updating unity versions mid-project. All the advice so far is solid, but let me just say, unless you absolutely cannot get around an issue and know its fixed in a new version, or the new version offers a feature the one you started the project in does not - do not update during a games development.

Tarball, JamesArndt, Amon and 4 others like this.
  9. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

You always need to have a branch with latest version so you know what it takes to migrate

xVergilx and MD_Reptile like this.
  10. Murgilod

Murgilod

They explicitly warn you before updating. The only way to miss it is by being incredibly irresponsible.

TeagansDad, xVergilx, Amon and 5 others like this.
  11. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I'm sorry but I really can't believe you posted this. This is one of the most embarrassing threads I've ever read.

Firstly, have you never heard of backups? Well of course you have. Just to get to this point you were required to click the "I Made A Backup. Go Ahead!" button that Unity itself pops up. What makes you think that not making backups is anyone's fault but your own? Unity told you to make a backup, did you think they were joking?

Secondly, Unity 2019.1 is a new features bleeding edge tech release. 2018.3 is a mature release about to move into LTS. Why would you make this jump and almost immediately push out your new builds? It makes zero sense at all. Like every software application ever created, new feature releases are the most likely to contain major bugs. This is not new information, and not unique to Unity.

Lastly, are you skipping QA? How does something like not even seeing the score end up shipped to your users? When you make a change you need to test everything that change touches. When you upgrade Unity itself, and since Unity touches everything, you need to retest everything on every platform.

That's why no one upgrades their Unity version late in their development, especially after their game has shipped, unless the new version has must have new fixes or features. Because the testing cost alone is so high.

codegasm, elmar1028, chingwa and 12 others like this.
  12. LaneFox

LaneFox

The best part is how you have a live game, update Unity and push out an update to prod with no version control or QC then proceed to tell a bunch of developers on a public forum that you've done this incredibly stupid thing and honestly believe you're not at fault.

The problem here isn't that Unity did something wrong, it's that you were completely irresponsible with your workflow.

TeagansDad, chingwa, Teila and 8 others like this.
  13. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

He cant mean release as realease to production? Release to a test environment maybe?

Joe-Censored likes this.
  14. LaneFox

LaneFox

Literally straight published the broken update to users.

xVergilx, MD_Reptile and Joe-Censored like this.
  15. Ryiah

Ryiah

I have never seen a thread of this nature created by someone using proper version control. For that matter I can't remember the last time I saw a thread like this created by someone using just weekly backups.

It's almost always a beginner thread but we have had a few by advanced users who were too stubborn to use a VCS.

Check his second post. He mentions he released it onto the store and the text in-game is missing. He released his app to production without any testing at all which makes the statement about the game engine needing proper testing hilariously ironic.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    TeagansDad, xVergilx, Amon and 4 others like this.
  16. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Missed that store part in his post. That's some crazy S*** right there.

I think it's crazy enough not having automated builds with unit testing. This is a complete other level.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hahaha this thread is effing amazing. I hope the OP can salvage even a tiny thread of his ego long enough to realise that the Dunning–Kruger effect doesn't have to last a lifetime.

Teila, JamesArndt, Amon and 5 others like this.
  18. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Looks like he released it to production. Even my hobbyist, casual, self taught, non professional workflow includes a step where I open the game and play it before deploying it to the store.

You realise the irony of this post, right? You are complaining that Unity doesn't do enough QC before releasing a product. Yet you have just released your own product onto the store without doing enough QC. Why didn't you take your time and release a proper product?

I get it, upgrading Unity sucks. But that is something you choose to do.

JohnnyA, xVergilx, Amon and 6 others like this.
  19. Meltdown

Meltdown

Instead of a new git clone just use the following command...

git clean -f -x -d

This will remove everything that is not checked into source. (Make sure you close Unity and your coding IDE before doing so)

AndersMalmgren, Amon and Ryiah like this.
  20. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Well, that's on the community at least as much as it's on the OP. Yes, they made a mistake, but who doesn't make mistakes from time to time?

I hope everyone here realises that we all start somewhere. I definitely agree with telling people to use version control, have backups, and to do QA... but remember that we didn't come out of the womb knowing those things ourselves! There's more to learn about this craft than most human beings can fit into a lifetime, so I can't find it in myself to be upset at someone for not having picked the "version control" skill before running into a problem it could have prevented.

I for one didn't value it until after I started using it, despite being given pretty much the same advice that I now give others.

@MaxRim: Do you have some kind of backup? If so, roll back to before you upgraded and carry on again from there to get a hot-fix in place for whatever is broken right now.

Then, look into version control. It's a pain in the bum to start using it, but once you're in the habit you won't know how you lived without it. I recommend looking at Azure DevOps, as they have free, unlimited accounts for small teams including Git version control. GitHub could also be worth a look, make sure you get a private repo. Get your project into some kind of remote version control as soon as you can, and get in the habit of pushing changes as you make them.

Make sure you read up on version control in Unity's manual. You don't want to just shove everything in there.

Jamster, Ony, Kiwasi and 3 others like this.
  21. Yeah. Same here.

But.
    So yeah, we all have been beginners, newbies. But not all of us were arrogant and whiny. I, specifically learned from my own mistakes and just picked up version control and be more careful around my projects.
    And making mistakes and not using version control and getting burned is one thing, being an arrogant pr**k is another, and expecting something from the developers of the software he's using and failing to do the same himself (basically testing his build at all) is another level. I think he deserves every word here. Not because of the mistake, because of the behavior.

22. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

I agree on version control being something that people need to learn, but it is clear from his posts he doesn't have any form of recent backup. Backups aren't even in the realm of learning software development, just basic computer usage stuff right there with how to save your first document and how to move the mouse around the screen.

It is simply not possible to be experienced enough with computers to be able to create your own software, yet be entirely unaware that you need to create backups of whatever you create that you don't want to lose. He may be a Unity novice (don't know), but he's not a computer novice, making failing to create backups something he chose to do. Not some concept he was entirely unaware of.

Kiwasi and SparrowGS like this.
  23. Heck, I even saved my second C64 BASIC game to multiple tapes if one gets eaten by the cassette player I have the other one... (of course my first one was the victim of a power outage... caused by my father who tried to fix our washing machine... I was young but as a true Hungarian I was swearing for two minutes non-repetitively, continuously) and those were really jokingly *khm* let say "raw" projects. :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2019
    Ony likes this.
  24. ChazBass

ChazBass

WARNING: If you highlight your non-backed up project folder in Windows explorer, and hit shift delete, your project will be gone forever.

ADDITIONAL WARNING: If you take the laptop containing your non-backed up project, place it on your driveway, and back over it with your car, your project will be gone forever.

Have you backed up your project recently?

25. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Yeah its going to be a real pain in the ass, but you can import all these assets and for the prefabs you are going have to manually go through them and recreate them (open up both editors -- have fun).

26. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Mistakes are fine but obnoxious finger pointing without even a tiny bit of fact checking? hahah.... no.

27. Ryiah

Ryiah

Clearly it is, and the fact that we're getting at least one of these threads per year proves that. I believe the core problem here is that people are getting complacent with their devices. Many devices that rely on the cloud for some service now come set up for automatic backups. My cell phone, for example, frequently backs up my contacts, messages, photos, etc.

Plus modern computer hardware and the software driving it is insanely stable now compared to how it was two decades ago and we've reached the point that an adult could have grown up without having experienced most of these problems.

hippocoder and Kiwasi like this.
  28. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I mean, to be fair - I often do this as well lmao. Instead of users, lets call them "Testers" :p

29. Amon

Amon

This is the first thread I have ever read where an OP has di*kheaded himself to kn*b*nd land.

MD_Reptile likes this.
  30. Billy4184

Billy4184

Here we go with the usual noob bashing! Seriously though, the OP could be a 13-year old kid who stumbled their way into launching a game, which is more than what can be said for most of us :)

Just use version control and backups, listen to warnings, don't upgrade to brand new releases, don't patch your game without testing etc etc

Very true. There's a wide gulf between the way that game development tools are marketed to new people and the way that an experienced developer perceives and uses them.

These days, it's so easy to perform fairly complicated feats (like building for a platform) that you can pretty much have no idea what is going on technically except that you know what keys to press from a Youtube tutorial.

31. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I agree with calling out the behaviour, there's definitely room for improvement there. Most of the stuff prior to my last post was focused clearly on the mistake itself, so by my interpretation criticism of the behaviour wasn't clearly coming through.

MD_Reptile likes this.
  32. Murgilod

Murgilod

They've got multiple threads in their post history that heavily implies otherwise.

33. Billy4184

Billy4184

It's quite possible, I didn't bother to check .. but is this kind of thread really going change things? I think the OP ran off and now everyone is just shouting at the void they left behind.

Generally I prefer to act as if everyone can learn simply by me pointing to their mistakes. It might not be the case all the time, but it certainly makes me feel good when it's true, and the great thing about it is that I can just move on with my life when it doesn't work out.

Ony, MD_Reptile and Deleted User like this.
  34. Amon

Amon

You have declared Unity 2019.1 completely broken based on those 3 bugs?

Aiursrage2k likes this.
  35. Deleted User

Deleted User

Not even worth noticing...

Looks like everything has been said yet, mainly:
    • never upgrade a project without backing it up,
    • never release an upgraded project before testing it, fully.
    But, if you do that, you can take the opportunity and make your game better, expand it, add new things, modify gameplay and so on. What's the point of upgrading if it's only for the sake of upgrading?

See what inXile did with Wasteland 2; they upagraded their game from Unity 4x (I think) to a more recent version, they added a lots of things in the process. Way to go! ;)

Joe-Censored and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  36. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Some times you might want to keep the stuff a while though. But yeah, cleaning the unversioned files works too :D

37. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

And always try to fix bugs by being red / green test driven. In OP's case a bit hard though.

38. Deleted User

Deleted User

It goes without saying... :)

39. roka

roka

Just check the bug number 3 "Inspector input field" and tell me how you can work on your project with a bug like this.

They have a lot of other problems, just read completely my post and go here https://forum.unity.com/forums/editor-general-support.10/ and see how much problems come from this version.

I don't know on what you are working on but if you can show me that i'm wrong, i would be happy to see that.

I do not have any backup problem, i make backups everytime and i can revert at anytime.

40. Teila

Teila

Definitely an educational moment for my kids making games. Back up. Test. If you do not, do not come crying to me that you lost your game.

Must admit, this post made me laugh. I meet a lot of young inexperienced developers who have all sorts of excuses as to why they did not backup and why they have this urgent need to update to the latest beta version, no matter the status of their game. I warn them..and then I so often say...I told you so. lol

Lurking-Ninja and Ryiah like this.
  41. kdgalla

kdgalla

I recently updated one of my long-term projects from 2017 LTS to 2019. Instead of updating the original project, I made a copy of the project folder, adding "2019" to he name.

That worked out pretty good because I ended-up having to delete my new project folder and start over a few times. I totally screwed up all of Text Mesh Pro stuff trying to convert to the new Package Manager version. Also discovered the the LWRP was not going to work for my project (delete and start over again!).

Still, it only took a few hours to successfully update my project and I still have the original 2017 LTS version in case I find any more trouble down the line.

42. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I hope you use GIT for full control. Though even with git you need to have each version in its own folder. Becasue rebuilding the Library each time you switch branch is a pain

43. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I might be old fashioned, but using GIT or other similar services like BitBucket for source control is really great if you work in a large team, or are extremely careful about losing progress, but I tend to just make .RAR file backups every few days or so, upload those to somewhere online like google drive or dropbox, and if something goes terribly wrong, just go back to those archives and manually switch things back over.

I get the advantages of source control and how you can compare diff of updated files, and all sorts of awesome features - but is that really necessary if your a small team or an individual working on a project? Not really... in my case. I'd say just use whatever works for you, but make sure to keep a backup, on multiple hard drives, flash drives, cloud services.... somewhere.

Ony likes this.
  44. kdgalla

kdgalla

I do the same. Since I have a day job, "every few days" is only about 6 hours worth of work for me. I do have an off-sight back-up too.

Ony likes this.
  45. Anything is better than nothing. But a proper version control system is the best. You can just push and pull the whole project if you want (like you do with the RAR files), but you can have fine grain control if you need it and merging by hand is nearly impossible in majority of the time, but usually not with a version control. And that's actually time saver. (Most of the time... there were times when I wasted long hours on a merge... but it's not the norm)

angrypenguin likes this.
  46. Deleted User

Deleted User

I also do the same, except that I don't trust cloud services that much. I use one though, Mega (so far, so good). Also, all my projects are installed on an external drive, and I use Windows backup everyday. Windows backup saved my life a lot of times in the past. ;)

Ony likes this.
  47. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Why though, it's much easier to use a proper version control. And it's safer, less prone to human error etc.

Edit: and having the git log is very valuable for a large project

angrypenguin and Teila like this.
  48. Errorsatz

Errorsatz

I didn't use real version control, just backup copies of the whole folder, until I was working as part of a team. Then I wanted to go back in time and slap myself, because it's such a big improvement to my workflow, even for solo projects.

I'd say the largest advantage is for code - refactoring becomes much more painless, it's no longer necessary to keep commented-out code around "just in case", and when something breaks but not immediately, you have a history record to track down where exactly it was introduced.

For non-mergeable assets like art, the advantages aren't as great, but I'd say it's still better than manual backups, and not difficult to set up.

49. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Plus, learning to use version control on solo projects means you don't have to learn it when you get on a team later.

Serious question for the RAR people: how long does it take, and how often do you do it?

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    MD_Reptile, Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  50. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

Seriously though guys, Unity made me break out in hives. Send me some ointment, or somebodies gonna get sued.

Joe-Censored and MD_Reptile like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.