Search Unity

Official Unity 2019 LTS Is Now Available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by LeonhardP, Jun 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

The built-in render pipeline is fully supported in 2019.4 so moving to URP is definitely not a requirement for upgrading your project. If your project was using built-in before, you should be able to continue doing so.

2. ash4640

ash4640

just checking out again before downloading, how stable is 2019.4 now for me to shift old project from 2019.3 to LTS, because I'm seeing a lot of crashes and bug reports even for simple use cases like importing prefabs etc in the thread already

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Back up your project, upgrade it and see if everything works fine for you. :)

ash4640 likes this.
  4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

If you're already on 2019.3, the jump to 2019.4 should be as smooth as it gets and should not cause problems.

However, always backup your project before opening it in a different Unity version, just to be on the safe side.

PS: 2019.4 is really just the last 2019.3.x release with more fixes. No new features, only bug fixes go into the LTS releases. If 2019.4 is buggier than 2019.3, then Unity Technologies would have f*cked up tremendously.

ash4640 and LeonhardP like this.
  5. spacefrog

spacefrog

Upgraded a larger 2d project for 4 platforms from 2019.3.15f1 to 2019.4.0f1 LTS
    No issues at all , everything feels stable and works great ...

protopop, phobos2077, ash4640 and 2 others like this.
  6. joe_nk

joe_nk

I'm also getting hangs importing lots of prefabs. It never seems to hang on one particular prefab.. just seems to be random. This was happening on 2019.4.0 and is now also happening on 2019.4.1. It feels to me like a race condition. I'm running MacOS 10.15.5

It's even more frustrating because when this happens, macOS won't let me force quit unity - I have to restart my machine.

I'm testing our build process, which generates and then imports around 1300 prefabs. I'm almost garaunteed a hang during the import phase

7. TurboNuke

TurboNuke

I get the same thing on a threadripper. Most of my projects won't upgrade, and always cause a Windows restart. Works fine on my partner's much lower spec machine.

8. NicBischoff

NicBischoff

I fixed this and many other errors by deleting the library folder. Backup first, close unity. Delete library and then open the project. This version seems to like a clean reimport of everything. This also cleared some weird non descript errors that I was only getting on a build but fine in the editor.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

NicBischoff likes this.
  10. DoubleThreeZhang

DoubleThreeZhang

Hi, I just upgrade my project from 2019.1.8 to 2019 LTS. Everything is ok, until I am trying to build an APK. The editor tells me "mainTemplate.gradle is using the old android application format and needs to be upgraded" and then quit the building pipeline.
    I have tried to search the solution on Google, but found nothing.
    So, anyone meet the same problem, and any solution for this????
    Thanks a lot!!!!

11. TurboNuke

TurboNuke

And now today's 2019.4.1 LTS wont install. Great.

12. TheGamery

TheGamery

Well the input lag isn't fixed in 2019.4.1f1 :(

13. jashan

jashan

That's what I thought, too. I was very wrong.

Since I updated to 2019.4.0, I spent a few hours trying to get around the constant crashes. I was on 2019.3.15 before and things were quite smooth. A few examples of what I'm running into:
    1. Crash on project load. That was a really bad one. Unity crashed every time I tried to open the project, with no useful error message. There were assets "crashing" on import, which resulted in those assets being messed up in the scenes where they were used. I triggered a library-refresh (deleted most of the library folders that get re-filled on Reimport). After that, I had one or two more crashes. Then, finally, I could open the project again.
    2. Frequent crashes while playing, and also when stopping playing.
    3. Log-Spam with "SendMessage cannot be called during Awake, CheckConsistency, or OnValidate" on every startup, every time I enter and exit play (unless Unity crashed).
    Number 3 is one of those great warnings that *should* tell you where exactly it happens in the message, and also by pinging the object that triggered it. Over the last 5 years I filed at least 3 bug reports complaining about all those messages that are completely useless because they don't point to where the error is actually coming from.

Well, this one says:

Code (csharp):
    1. SendMessage cannot be called during Awake, CheckConsistency, or OnValidate
    2. UnityEngine.UI.Scrollbar:OnValidate()
    Admittedly, pinging the Scrollbar that is causing this wouldn't help that much because basically, every Scrollbar that's active in the scene is causing it. The funny thing is: I can double click it, and will get a Scrollbar.cs, that is stored in Program Files/Unity/Hub/Editor/2019.4.1f1/Editor/Data/Resources/PackagesManager/BuiltinPackages/com.unity.ugui/Runtime/UI/Core/Scrollbar.cs.

And that file has no call to SendMessage. It does, however, have this comment:

Code (CSharp):
    1.         /// <summary>
    2.         /// Update the rect based on the delayed update visuals.
    3.         /// Got around issue of calling sendMessage from onValidate.
    4.         /// </summary>
    5.         protected virtual void Update()
    6.         {
    7.             if (m_DelayedUpdateVisuals)
    8.             {
    9.                 m_DelayedUpdateVisuals = false;
    10.                 UpdateVisuals();
    11.             }
    12.         }
    So apparently, the bug is fixed - but maybe there's some DLL still stored somewhere that uses the old version that hadn't been fixed. I did clean up Library/ScriptAssemblies ... but that didn't help.

Hm, so, I activated StackTraceLogging / All / Full, and that did give me more information:

Code (CSharp):
    1. 0x00000127C856DAAE (Mono JIT Code) (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEditor.PrefabUtility:IsPartOfPrefabAsset (UnityEngine.Object)
    2. 0x00000127C856D883 (Mono JIT Code) [Scrollbar.cs:168] UnityEngine.UI.Scrollbar:OnValidate ()
    So, here's the call that's causing this issue (last line in OnValidate):

Code (CSharp):
    1.             if (!UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.IsPartOfPrefabAsset(this) && !Application.isPlaying)
    Btw, this is new with 2019.4.1, I haven't seen it in 2019.4.0.

If anyone wants to have a look, I filed it as:
    (Case 1257272) Logspam with: SendMessage cannot be called during Awake, CheckConsistency, or OnValidate

KiddUniverse, akasabutski and Peter77 like this.
  14. BilalGuvenc

BilalGuvenc

I downloaded 2019.4.0 a few days ago and new version 2019.4.1 is available now.

Is there a way to reduce download size of new version?
    Also should I have to download Android SDK and NDK again?
    Can I use Android module from previous version? If yes which folders should be copied to new version from old one?

15. jashan

jashan

Oh, and another issue that started happening with Unity 2019.4.1 is that Rider shows weird errors in every single class file of the project for a few minutes (IIRC, it was about 300,000 errors throughout the project, roughly between 3 and 200 in each class file). As this is happening in a third party app, I'm not perfectly sure it's related to Unity 2019.4.1 - but what I do know is that I never saw this in any of the previous versions.

Again, I spent some time trying to figure that one out. Deleted the compiled assemblies, rebuilt the project and solution files, compiled inside Rider (only warnings, no errors - the errors only occurred in the analysis. But the only thing that helped was waiting for about 5 minutes.

Now, finally, this apparently is no longer happening. I did see it one more time after having waited.

Rider does sometimes do strange things, so it's more likely that this is a problem with Rider than with Unity. It's just strange that this started happening after going from 2019.4.0 to 2019.4.1, so I thought I might mention it here.

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

@LeonhardP

2019.4.1f1 still doesn't recognise keyboards that are not English. This problem has been around for months and reported several times (I cannot find where, sorry).

The problem is also present in 2020.2.0a15 and It would help if you could forward the information to the people in charge, thank you.

Sorry if I sound disgruntled but, actually, I am! :D

AskCarol and IOU_RAY like this.
  17. jashan

jashan

... and, another one of those tremendously useful exceptions that Unity 2019.4.1 likes to spam my log with:

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. UnityEditor.Graphs.Edge.WakeUp () (at <9061962f637f4c89b5332c95b2cf7751>:0)
    3. UnityEditor.Graphs.Graph.DoWakeUpEdges (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] inEdges, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] ok, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] error, System.Boolean inEdgesUsedToBeValid) (at <9061962f637f4c89b5332c95b2cf7751>:0)
    4. UnityEditor.Graphs.Graph.WakeUpEdges (System.Boolean clearSlotEdges) (at <9061962f637f4c89b5332c95b2cf7751>:0)
    5. UnityEditor.Graphs.Graph.WakeUp (System.Boolean force) (at <9061962f637f4c89b5332c95b2cf7751>:0)
    6. UnityEditor.Graphs.Graph.WakeUp () (at <9061962f637f4c89b5332c95b2cf7751>:0)
    7. UnityEditor.Graphs.Graph.OnEnable () (at <9061962f637f4c89b5332c95b2cf7751>:0)
    I'm not even aware of any graphs visible in my current editor layout. I have Game, Scene, Project, Console, Animator, ah, wait, Animator.

Yeah, that does not look good. Seems like I won't be able to edit any of my AnimatorControllers with this trashy version of Unity.

So far, 2019.4 LTS has the quality I'd expect from an alpha.

And, of course, this doesn't happen with a new, empty project.

In fact, it doesn't even repro after restarting Unity (I actually would have thought that I had seen this in two sessions but I might be mistaken). So I won't file a bug report, for now ... but maybe someone could have a look at what might cause NullReferenceExceptions in UnityEditor.Graphs.Edge.WakeUp().

IOU_RAY likes this.
  18. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

It's very disappointing to read how many problems you already experienced with a version that is advertised as:
    upload_2020-6-20_17-46-55.png
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/lts-releases

IOU_RAY likes this.
  19. r618

r618

(always) delete _the whole_ Library folder if/when having problems upgrading
    by deleting only parts of it you might have caused even more issues with it

20. bran76765

bran76765

So in order for different users with different machines to change their quality level, I now have to implement that workaround? Seems a bit odd and stupid that the quality level has almost been made redundant if we're forced to change settings through scripting. What if one machine wants LOD1 levels but another wants LOD0 levels?

Btw this isn't a jab at you specifically, more at unity in general. I (and a few others apparently) actually used the resolution dialog to set quality level+resolution before the game actually started. Now I have to start and get ingame before settings the settings? Seems counter-intuitive to me.

21. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I would ask/discuss this in the thread I gave you the link for. Chances for your post to be answered are better there, because the Unity staff that removed that feature were participating there already.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  22. jashan

jashan

The Library folder also contains relevant settings that you have to manually restore if you delete them, like the snap settings, scene visibility, the current layout and quite a few others. What I do delete is all the stuff that's just caching things (which is most of the Library folder - but not all of it).

But you have a valid point - maybe I should be more aggressive next time I do a cleanup.

23. joe_nk

joe_nk

The issues I'm seeing are despite deleting the library folder (and more). Essentially resetting my local repo to a 'naked' state.

24. TurboNuke

TurboNuke

Deleting the library does nothing for me. The locking up appears only to be when importing for Android.

25. brunocoimbra

brunocoimbra

This is not the place for that, there is already plenty of threads about that topic around the forum.

26. fanzhengyong2015

fanzhengyong2015

2019.4.1f1 cann't convert lower version
    I download Unity tech project “https://github.com/UnityTechnologies/AngryBots_ECS”, this project version is Unity2019.2.4.1。 I can not open this project by Unity hub
    2020623-94221.jpg
    When I open this project , the unity hub shows
    2020623-94512.jpg
    Then I click "确认", I can see Unity startup and exit quickly。The result is I open nothing。
    I am not install unity by unity hub,instead, I download unity and install,then I install unity hub。

27. yonek_idreams

yonek_idreams

How could you release this crap without event testing it?!?!
    I regret moving our company's project to this LTS!

TheGamery and IOU_RAY like this.
  28. reev4eg

reev4eg

Hello! We got crash on migrating(importing step) project from 2019.3.4f (reproduce only with Dx12). Workaround : Unity Hub > Project item > three vertical dots > Advance Project Settings > enter command argument > -force-d3d11

Log : Editor_m_crash_dx12.txt

Thanks!

Attached Files:

29. James15478

James15478

Hi @LeonhardP I was wondering if there is an estimate to when this issue will be released? I noticed it was already in Fix in Review for 2019.4 prior to the most recent release. Thanks!

30. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hey @James15478, that fix will be part of 2019.4.2.

31. James15478

James15478

Thanks for the (amazingly) quick response @LeonhardP :) When is that (2019.4.2) expected to be released?

32. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

From the LTS Releases page:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/lts-releases

Look when last version was released, add 14 days to it. That's the next release data.

LeonhardP and WolveX like this.
  33. James15478

James15478

Thanks @Peter77 , I did see it's biweekly releases, although I didn't know if 2019.4.2 is the next release or a later one. There could be (I imagine) a release in between

34. protopop

protopop

How will the performance of 2019 LTS be on Apple Silicon? Has it been tested internally? Does it run smoothly?

35. Deozaan

Deozaan

Do you know how version numbering works? Current version is 2019.4.1. The one after it will be 2019.4.2.

36. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Please mind your language.

James15478 likes this.
  37. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

At this time, we can only refer you to apply for devkits from Apple if you're interested in this topic.

You can apply here: https://developer.apple.com/programs/universal/

38. Deozaan

Deozaan

What's wrong with my language?

Since when is it inappropriate to try to ascertain someone's level of understanding when answering their question(s)? Especially after they've been given the answer twice already but still seem unsure.

I asked a pertinent question and gave a Cliff's Notes summary of the answer to that question in an example that directly applied to the discussion at hand. If that wasn't enough to make things clear then I or someone else in this thread could have explained version numbering (the understanding of which you seem to take for granted even though it's a little weird to begin with and to make matters more confusing every software in the world seems to do it in its own unique way) to someone who didn't know how it worked, and the Unity community could have been slightly better as a whole for the cooperative spirit displayed.

Instead, I'm being reproved for using inappropriate language, which I certainly did not do. And the person who I tried to help "liked" the reproval. Please excuse me for trying to help. I'll try not to let it happen again.

39. Heckmouse

Heckmouse

Hey I just updated a large, complex project from 2019.3.12f1, it went smoothly. Posting to inspire others who might have been scared off by the negative comments in the thread.

Great work Unity!

LeonhardP likes this.
  40. Deleted User

Deleted User

Maybe you should described how you proceeded? Did you delete the Library folder etc? ;)

41. Heckmouse

Heckmouse

Ah good point. I didn't do anything special. Just opened it and let it do it's thing. (After making a backup.)

42. IOU_RAY

IOU_RAY

The usual.

Even though it's LTS I 100% expected it to be unstable, so held off. Looks like we finally have Unity devs figured out.

Better to stick with a half broken engine than a mostly broken engine.

We're sticking to 2019.3.13f1 for now, and while it crashes 2-3x daily on average, and has a many other nitpicks, it is the most stable version I've been on in 2 years by far. How sad is that? lol.

43. brunocoimbra

brunocoimbra

To support the idea of good feedbacks too, same here. Big project (around 3 years of work so far) upgraded from 2019.3.0 to 2019.4.1 without any kind of issue (just opened it in the new version). No crashes (neither for me or the rest of the team, made of 5 people) and already feeling a better experience after the upgrade (there was an issue in 2019.3.0 with the copying of some dlls to the build which got fix after the upgrade).

44. TheGamery

TheGamery

Can you give us an idea of what you mean by "big project" like a comparison to some other already released game in regards to scale?

45. brunocoimbra

brunocoimbra

It has close to 20gb of stuff in the Assets folder alone and many different plugins and stuff from the package manager. Also, updated other small projects without any issue.

EDIT: 60GB if you consider everything, just saw here (Library + Assets + Packages)

Heckmouse likes this.
  46. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Found one of your previous conversations: https://forum.unity.com/threads/ctrl-z-shortcut-not-working-with-non-english-keyboard-layout.664471/

The good news is, that it looks like this will be fixed in 2020.2a16.

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...-are-physical-location-based-not-letter-based

47. Deleted User

Deleted User

Ah thank you. :)

I hope it will; you'll hear of me. ;)

48. Deleted User

Deleted User

What about 2019.4 LTS?

49. James15478

James15478

Hi @LeonhardP .
    This is very (very!) fresh but I was wondering if Unity was planning on removing the IDFA as a fallback in
    System.DeviceUniqueIdentifier
    From the docs:
    iOS: on pre-iOS7 devices it will return hash of MAC address. On iOS7 devices it will be UIDevice identifierForVendor or, if that fails for any reason, ASIdentifierManager advertisingIdentifier.

If the docs mean only iOS 7 and not beyond (since it doesn't really say), and there is not fallback to the IDFA, then there might be no problem at all :)

I'm asking considering the latest news from Apple. There is already a pretty stern warning on iTunes Connect (below) and the warning (attached) when opening the app is pretty brutal:

Attached Files:

50. yonek_idreams

yonek_idreams

After few days with LTS I found a fun thing about it. As you all know it is unable to update an existing xcode project when building for iOS so one have to create a new clean one each time.
    The fun starts when you find random bugs in the build that magically go away with the next build.
    Building produces a random executable.

Nice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.