Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2019.4.9f1 corrupting my project multiple times per day?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by CloudyVR, Sep 9, 2020.

1. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Hi, I have a project that I have been working on for a long time. I just now updated to 2019.4.9f1 and my project is becoming corrupt very often to the point where I must delete the entire Library folder and rebuild it.

I notice that the entire UI system scripts become unavailable in Rider reporting that objects such as Text, Toggle, Buttons and so on are not even defined classes anymore. This occurs right after making changes to any script and switching back to the editor - Unity compiles the changes and sometimes just corrupts the project..

Restarting the PC does not fix this and I must delete the library folder and cross my fingers that Unity has not destroyed all of my hard work in the interim.

Please Unity, fix your editor, this was not occurring in earlier versions and it is costing huge amounts of time having to stop so often and recover from such an unstable IDE.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  2. RakNet

RakNet

Thanks for posting this. I was planning to upgrade to 2019.4 but will hold off.

3. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Some additional info, and I am not sure but maybe is related: but right after i edited a script (which i have edited this script many time) I suddenly received an error:

Then after clicking "No Thanks" unity showed over 60 errors in the console stating all UI classes could not be found (and my project became corrupt again).

The "API Update Required" should not show however as I have no obsolete syntax in any of the scripts I was editing, and after deleting the library and allowing the 15 or so minutes for it to rebuild, i went right back to work on that same script and have not received that API update error since.

A very annoying IDE bug - and I don't mind the wasted hours each week waiting for the library to rebuild, however I just hope it never decides to "Go Ahead" and automatically remove obsolete phantom code or whatever it is detecting and wreck my project irrevocably.

4. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Just happened again, exactly as described above where the "API Update Required" bug appeared and all UI elements in my project fail to render (tons of UI related errors).

This time I had a prefab open when it occurred. But the laughable part is that I only modified a comment in a script and switched back to the editor, I changed no code and still got bit by the bug.

After deleting the Library folder did fix it again, however deleting the Library multiple times per day causes me to lose many hours per week,
    also the added frustration of working on something critical and due to bad Unity Editor design it causes me to have to abruptly stop right as I am in the groove, then close everything (losing all undo history) and then to have to sit and wait for 20 minutes while losing awareness to the exact problem I was working on is extremely costly and has even caused me to stumble and mess up my project due to confusion.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  5. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

hey I am not sure if this will be helpful to anyone having this issue but I found that if the "API Update Required" dialog appears then I must press ctrl + alt + del and terminate Unity. Then restarting Unity and there are no errors!! :)

But if I press "no thanks" the project becomes corrupt with tons of unrelated UI errors.

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Have you tried updating the Unity API? It's actually required during the Unity IAP installation. It's also for Unity packages and assets that you might be using, and not in your own code. As always, make a backup first.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  7. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

Not sure exactly what you want me to try there, I think by accepting a rogue API update request would result in corrupting/modifying some of my scripts (maybe). The dialog only appears after Unity editor has corrupted the project somehow, so I believe the dialog is being triggered as the result of a side effect...

Today however was different, the entire project suddenly became corrupt as usual with a bunch of UI related errors shown in the console that won't clear, but this time the update API dialog was not shown, the project simply became corrupt as I was working on a random script.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  8. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Yes, you will need to update the API. Make a project backup first.