Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2019.3A11 not respond when you open project? [BUG SOLVED IN 2019.3b2!!!]

Discussion in '2019.3 Beta' started by BATTLEKOT, Aug 11, 2019.

1. BATTLEKOT

BATTLEKOT

Hello everyone! Everytime when i'm create a project with HDRP render and do my work, after restart of unity its stuck....
    I'm tried to do with empty HDRP project, its run first time ok, but after - Unity not respond in task manager...
    upload_2019-8-12_0-11-38.png

adamguy21 likes this.
  2. JohnC_Unity

JohnC_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hey Battlekot,

It seems Unity has crashed. "UnityCrashHandle64" perhaps it crashed on exit or on launch. Do you see a bug report window anywhere?

If not, you should file a bug using the bug reporting tool (You can find it under windows programs or via the hub) attach your project if possible and your editor log.

Thanks a lot!

BATTLEKOT likes this.
  3. id0

id0

JohnC_Unity UnityCrashHandler64 remains open during the work of the editor, this has nothing to do with it. And yes, alpha 11 does not open projects correctly, it freezes all the time.

BATTLEKOT and JohnC_Unity like this.
  4. EdRowlett-Barbu

EdRowlett-Barbu

I'm getting exactly the same issue. After a crash (and sometimes even clean close), reopening the project has it stuck at full single cpu (25% on a quad core), doing absolutely nothing, indefinitely.
    Maybe asset database v2 is the culprit? Am looking to test on adb v1 now.

As a side note, deleting the Library folder fixes the issue, but then requires a full project import

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    JohnC_Unity likes this.
  5. JohnC_Unity

JohnC_Unity

Unity Technologies

Awesome thanks for the heads up. Zadirion you could be right. In the Editor log do you have anything along the lines of "Refresh: detecting if any assets need to be imported or removed ..."

6. JohnC_Unity

JohnC_Unity

Unity Technologies

When you file a bug could you let me know the ticket number please. Thanks a lot.

7. BATTLEKOT

BATTLEKOT

upload_2019-8-17_21-33-41.png its happened in Unity2019.3.a12 too

8. Revolter

Revolter

There's a workaround
    1) Close unity and delete the Library folder
    2) Start the project in Unity and when it asks you to auto-Upgrade the project, decline
    3) Success

9. id0

id0

2019.3 beta1 have same problem. I can't believe it, guys, did you even test it before release?!

10. BATTLEKOT

BATTLEKOT

Same problem. But when I delete library folder open Unity, wait when projects is opened, then close - open again its working fine.
    I will try later restart PC and Unity Hab and if project will opened fine without any problems - I will let you know

11. id0

id0

This is NOT normal.

12. BATTLEKOT

BATTLEKOT

I think that bug fixed now in 2019.3.b1

13. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

if we had seen the issue in-house, do you think we would have released it?
    this is why we do betas before releasing and we need your help to submit issues

keenanwoodall likes this.
  14. Revolter

Revolter

Did anyone already submit this bug? I can submit my project otherwise. Didn't want to spam you guys, already submitted 3 other issues. (as I mentioned before, choosing not to auto-upgrade the project fixes it so it's not a blocker for me)

15. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Yes, please submit it. If you don't do it, it might be a long time until someone else reports them or until Unity Technologies find them. Please post the Case number (number only, not the link) in this forum thread for Unity staff to pick up.

Thanks in advance :)

BATTLEKOT likes this.
  16. Revolter

Revolter

Seems like there's no need, it's fixed now in Unity 2019.3.0b1

charlesb_rm likes this.
  17. Revolter

Revolter

Never mind, in Unity 2019.3.0b1 the behaviour is a bit different, it crashes after you press Play now.
    The issue happens after API Updater updates some dlls (one of them is Facebook SDK)
    I submitted the bug together with the project (Case 1180007)

astracat111 and Peter77 like this.
  18. jjejj87

jjejj87

Update: the issue is still present with 2019.3.0b1.

The workaround sort of works. It does not ask for project update, it just re-imports on its own after 10 minutes.

project is around 45gb on nvme ssd. also HDRP7.0.1
    This issue was around since Alpha 10 ish.

19. Revolter

Revolter

Same thing here, didn't ask me for project update first time. Second time I removed Library folder it did ask for project update

20. jjejj87

jjejj87

Another update.

This happens aftering building standalone. 100% of the time.

Please look into this.

Thanks!

21. hatless

hatless

Confirming this bug exists in 2019.3.0b1.

22. BATTLEKOT

BATTLEKOT

When I add terrain to my Scene in Unity 2019.3.0b1 - Unity was just crashed and after that Unity not respond while I launch it.
    I need to delete Library folder again, wait two hour to import project and then work =(

23. Revolter

Revolter

I removed Odin Inspector plugin from the project, and the issue seems to be completely fixed now. Seems like the plugin is just not compatible with the latest version of Unity

24. hatless

hatless

I have no plugins, the bug still exists.

25. id0

id0

Same. I just create new project with HDRP, do something, save it, and then open. Process is freeze, nothing happen.

BATTLEKOT likes this.
  26. jjejj87

jjejj87

Unity is stuck again, deleting Library folder and waiting 30 minutes...

27. neuroGear

neuroGear

Same here. Unity gets stuck, delete library, then works till next time I start Unity.

28. BATTLEKOT

BATTLEKOT

Maybe its happened cuz we have very large projects? 20+ GB?
    I tired wait 2 hours after every Library clean =(

29. hatless

hatless

I amateur sleuthed my case to a set of character prefabs in a particular scene. If you look at that scene, unity chokes the next time you start it. Deleting them cured it. Why? Who knows.

(Yes, bug reported.)

30. jjejj87

jjejj87

Can anyone from Unity team suggest a workaround other than forcing a whole project reimport?

Any quicker workaround would be really appreciated.

31. jjejj87

jjejj87

Also, have we filed a bug report for this? Do we have a case number?

If not, I can report it.

32. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

A bug report with a minimal reproduction project would be very much appreciated! We have one report that describes a similar behaviour but it's not clear that it is the same issue you're experiencing.

This doesn't seem to reproduce in 2019.3.0b2 anymore. Could you please check if the issue is resolved for you once b2 becomes available (likely tomorrow)?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
    BATTLEKOT likes this.
  33. jjejj87

jjejj87

I will test b2 tomorrow and if the bug persists, I will submit a repo case.

And in case you are not aware of this issue's severeness, this should be a priority.

This sort of bug drives people away from testing the latest build, and will most likely go unnoticed until a large number of users make a ugly complaint. On top of that, more bugs will go unreported and will likely snowball into something nobody wants.

JohnC_Unity and id0 like this.
  34. hierro__

hierro__

Hi all, having the same issue with 2019.3.0b1, I was able to update a project from 2019.2, and work on it correctly, when i close unity and try to reopne the project it just got stuck forever.

if i delete library, it will open again ( after rebuilding, reimport, getting old), any hint ?

35. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

36. jjejj87

jjejj87

I can confirm that with b2, the issue is completely gone at least on my end. Thank you for the fix!

Peter77 likes this.
  37. id0

id0

jjejj87 what are you talking about? Still nothing opened!

38. Revolter

Revolter

Are you guys using Asset Database V1 or V2?

39. BATTLEKOT

BATTLEKOT

where are I can find info about that?

40. Revolter

Revolter

By default it's using Version 2, but you can force Unity to use Version 1
    You can add an empty adb1.txt file next to your assets folder to force Unity to use Asset Database Version 1

41. jjejj87

jjejj87

id0, I can't speak for everyone, but at least on my end, the issue is gone. Same procedure, and with b2, I no longer get launcher getting stuck. Even after building standalone.

That was yesterday.

This morning I came in and reopened my project. No problem. Good to go as any good day.

so for my end, the issue is completely gone.

I suggest you to submit a repo project asap so that it gets fixed for b3.

as for asset database, it is set to v2. I didn't change it to v2 from v1 and it was an existing project, so it must have changed it during a10~b1. I upgrade to the latest build pretty much all the time unless it breaks something.

Hope this helps!

42. BATTLEKOT

BATTLEKOT

I can confirm that bug was solved in Unity2019.3b2.
    Project now open without any issues or crash =)

JohnC_Unity likes this.
  43. ibbybn

ibbybn

Still having the issue in b2. Every second start of the project it shows the unity logo screen forever without starting the editor. I never need to rebuild the library though, I just kill the process and the next time it starts. Actually also have the issue jumping from my main menu to another scene but not every time. It just hangs on loading assets from the new scene. After using adb1.txt the problem's gone.

44. BATTLEKOT

BATTLEKOT

maybe problem in scene? Try delete "LastSceneManagerSetup" in "Library" folder

45. id0

id0

Maybe this is the OS. I'm on Windows 7 and still cannot test beta in the normal way.

46. ibbybn

ibbybn

Nope didn't help either.
    id0 I'm on win10 so doubtful that it has to do with that.
    I'll continue with db1 until I see some db changes in the versions logs. Just takes too much time switching db with a 40GB assets folder.

47. ibbybn

ibbybn

Actually I spoke too soon. Same problem reared up after a while with db1 so probably something else going on which started when switching to the 2019.3 branch.
    Ok after looking at the editor logs it seems in 2019.3 unity editor can stall when not finding a fallback shader. It also sometimes started with alot of lines like "Requesting non existent keyword at index 233." in the console.
    I deleted some problematic shaders which I didn't use anymore anyway and now it always starts. So fixed for me too. :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
    JohnC_Unity likes this.
  48. BATTLEKOT

BATTLEKOT

wow, tat bug is comeback =(
    For no reason all my projects on 2019.3.b2 and 2019.2.3 and 2019.2.4 stop working upload_2019-9-14_23-8-7.png

astracat111 likes this.
  49. jjejj87

jjejj87

BATTLEKOT, my issue went away and have not had any opening editor issues since b2.

Apparently, the editor is set to stall if it cannot find fallback shaders. I heard it somewhere...some time ago, but can't remember from where. Maybe you should check if there is something in the shaders that is causing this.

b2 had the horrible crash that happened when I clicked "play" but it seems like it is gone in b3.

Hope this helps.

BATTLEKOT likes this.
  50. ibbybn

ibbybn

Don't know what else it could be with the starting editor problem. Have you checked the editor log and looked at the last line before it stalls?
    C:\Users\yourUserName\AppData\Local\Unity\Editor

Btw my loading new level in play mode ( in editor ) problem stall was likely caused by a missing script in a prefab ( even if your hierarchy doesn't have missing scripts there might be ones in your prefab if you haven't updated it ). Running pretty good now.