Search Unity

Official Unity 2019.3 Is Now Available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by LeonhardP, Jan 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoNax97

JoNax97

Hey @PeterB I think you should post this exact message in this thread. It's exactly the situation being discussed.

phobos2077 and PeterB like this.
  2. cmdexecutor

cmdexecutor

Again for those who interested: fixed in 2019.3.4. Don't know yet what became broken instead LoL but thx for that.

Regarding the discussion above, there is another one simple sad fact: Unity does not make games.
    Remember the FPS Sample project? Bet the team said "we're done with that bloody hell" and quit :D That's why there's no updates. Is that so? Haven't checked the repo for a couple of months but whatever.

Start making games targeted for sale, not those crutchy demos. Face your bugs by yourself.
    How about the Dont-Call-That-Name-Here Engine having even it's own gaming store platform?
    Just imagine: "Unity Technologies Presents" and an [stroke]Epic[/stroke] (oh lol sorry) Great game launches and we play and pay for it. Such a beautiful future isn't it?

IOU_RAY, hurleybird, Leniaal and 4 others like this.
  3. unity_2jxHNVY36zr2mg

unity_2jxHNVY36zr2mg

2019.3.4 debugger attach still takes like a minute :mad:.

4. iamarugin

iamarugin

2019.3.4 feels like we are coming back to beta version again.

IOU_RAY and WolveX like this.
  5. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

I would really like to upgrade my project to 2019.3.x, there are some cool looking features that could make development life easier (in theory). However reading the continuous updates and feedback on this thread it's really putting me off.

Considering I already tried upgrading to 2019.3.x a few times, without success due to editor bugs and things not working like they should. I'm loathe to try it again until the editor is really stable and ready.

// Wildstyle

Leniaal likes this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm having a problem in 2019.3.4f1 under Linux Mint 19.3 Xfce: the inspector takes ages to refresh itself after I selected a folder. It did refresh itself and displayed the content of the current selected object after I right-clicked on the Assets folder and selected "Create"; it refreshed itself after the list of objects that could be created eventually displayed.

This doesn't happen each time I select an object; in this case, it happened after I created a Scripts folder inside the Assets directory.

7. spacefrog

spacefrog

I got serious out of memory crashing problems when using sprite atlas baking in Unity 2019.3.4f1 ( unity 2019.2.21 works okay ). somewhen towards the end of the 30 minute baking process ( we have some huge 8K sprite sheets in the game ). Unity eats ALL available physical and virtual memory and crashes ( 32GB Ram + 32GB paging file )
    See my original post here
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/201...atlas-baking-similar-to-issue-1200814.843172/
    Will try 2019.3.3f1, if this one fails too... i'll revert the project back to 2019.2.21f1

Awarisu likes this.
  8. spacefrog

spacefrog

tried to reduce the number of breakpoints ? Had this problem too very often in the past, until i learned that keeping number of enabled breakpoints at a minimum cures that problem

tonialatalo likes this.
  9. unity_2jxHNVY36zr2mg

unity_2jxHNVY36zr2mg

Yes, it looks like this problem has existed since at least 2017.
    After deleting all conditional breakpoints, attach happens instantly.

10. Miguel_TagaiArts

Miguel_TagaiArts

phobos2077 likes this.
  11. LordDarkenon

LordDarkenon

When will Unity 2019.4 LTS release? Not sure why there is so much of a gap between releasing 2019.3.X and 2019.4.X LTS? We'll be half way through 2020 before long. Can anyone from Unity give an ETA?

12. konsic

konsic

2018.4 was released around april/may.

13. runner78

runner78

2017.3: 19 dez, 2017
    2017.4: 24 apr, 2018
    4 month gap.

2018.3: 7 dez, 2018
    2018.4: 10 may, 2019
    5 month gap.

2019.3: 27 jan, 2020
    now: 13 mar, 2020
    1.5 months gap.

So is not much of a gap.

source: https://unity3d.com/de/get-unity/download/archive

14. Miguel_TagaiArts

Miguel_TagaiArts

And 2020.1 is still in alpha state, so the main TECH release is still 2019.3 for now until this year's cicle is fully released (not even in beta), so it'd make no sense to enter in LTS already for the 2019.X cicle.

15. phobos2077

phobos2077

Actually 2020.1 beta is already out https://unity3d.com/beta/2020.1b

Miguel_TagaiArts likes this.
  16. Miguel_TagaiArts

Miguel_TagaiArts

17. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

We should normally promote 2019.3 (TECH) to 2019.4 (LTS version) around the time as 2020.1 will be shipping. Of course this depends on the stability of the version (number of remaining known issues).

Deleted User likes this.
  18. gamefox87

gamefox87

Where is this linux sysroot package that allows you to compile using IL2CPP? Can we compile a linux build using IL2CPP on a Unity installed in Windows?

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    viet2nt likes this.
  19. JoshPeterson

JoshPeterson

Unity Technologies

@gamefox87

No, IL2CPP builds for standalone platforms (Windows, Linux, macOS) do not support cross-compilation.

20. POC0bob

POC0bob

Unity 2019.3.8 is a broken mess that has internal memory leaks, crashes constantly, spams the error logs with unavoidable errors and constantly fails to import assets from the asset store. DO NOT USE 2019.3! PLEASE. Until they fix it! You will have DAYS of stress, frustration and an unusable project after upgrading. Of course I backuped before upgrading but 2019.3 is NOT ready to be released.

PeterB likes this.
  21. Deleted User

Deleted User

You need to elaborate a little more about that. Proof, examples, logs, and so on.

22. JoNax97

JoNax97

Do you have any bug reports on these issues?

tonialatalo likes this.
  23. spacefrog

spacefrog

I for one have reported an upgrade-blocking editor crash issue with sprite atlas baking for the whole 2019.3 branch ( 2019.2 and earlier do not have the issue )
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...aking-when-not-enough-disk-space-is-available
    The description QA entered into the database is technically misleading, by saying its a disk space issue. Its a RAM issue, meaning RAM gets eaten until your swapfile eats all your available diskspace as a SIDE EFFECT - but certainly not as the main issue. And i experience this issue even if i have 100GB of system space available. Unity simply isnt able to recover, but reports the DX11 errors mentioned in the forum thread below
    Anyways ... I eagerly wait for a fix on this ... the whole project ( for a large publisher on PC and consoles ) is stuck on 2019.21f1 because of this bug

Heres the forum thread i created
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/201...atlas-baking-similar-to-issue-1200814.843172/

24. POC0bob

POC0bob

I have some of that on the regular forums. This is not the spot for Support. No one has replied to it yet, but its only just over a day old so I don't expect a reply yet.

25. waltran

waltran

Anyone care to explain why there is 2 days difference between 2019.3.8 and 2019.3.9 versions with not much of a difference in the changelog.

26. Refeas

Refeas

2019.3.8 was delayed due to some critical issues and Unity usually releases new versions of 19.3 every week on Thursday, the releases are pre-scheduled, hence two releases in a row.

phobos2077 and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  27. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

2019.3.8 was delayed and 2019.3.9 was on schedule

28. Hurri04

Hurri04

Just got notice that 2019.3.12 is out.
    Looked through the patch notes a bit.
    Clicked this link to one of the issues: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...lized-array-will-not-set-new-elements-to-null

What's up with all these THOUSANDS of spam links? Why aren't they getting removed and the accounts suspended? Does this mean noone at Unity even looks at the stuff posted in the comments over there? Why is there no system in place to check if a post contains multiple links and if so sends an email to someone to have a manual look at?
    The first spam comment is from March 17 and the newest from April 19. I'd think there should have been well enough time to react to this?

And this is not the only issue page where I've seen this...

IOU_RAY, Awarisu and MasonWheeler like this.
  29. mafuf5

mafuf5

simply does not work. freezes on 'HD Render Pipeline Wizard' window, top LH corner. Far out.

30. iamarugin

iamarugin

Visual Studio 2019 integration is completely broken in 2019.3.12 Assemblies created in project not referenced by other assemblies in project. Looks like local verification and tests plans are not exist in Unity.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
    MasonWheeler, phobos2077 and Refeas like this.
  31. iamarugin

iamarugin

32. wozniaxen

wozniaxen

33. Smileys

Smileys

Is 2019.3 stable now ? This thread reads like a horror book. I am waiting for 2019.4 LTS as i am in the finishing stages of a project. Right now i am on 2019.1 because at the time 2019.2 released, it had critical bugs that prevented me from working and i have not updated since. Problem is - Apple just cut support for something that is referenced in 2019.1 and i cant upload builds to my testers now (Testflight). I need a solution and my experience tells me that upgrading will take at least a few days.

Is it a big problem to jump into 2019.3 now and upgrade to *.4 later?

34. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

2019.3 to 4 should be smooth because LTS is taking 2019.3 as the basis

And always make a backup and just open the project in 2019.3 and see what happens

35. Awarisu

Awarisu

I've been carefully updating .3 versions, always letting others beta test them for me. 11f1 looks like it's OK, 12f1 seems to have problems, and .4 will basically be like yet another .3 patch just renamed once 2020.1 is out. I can't comment on your case but there's a smooth-by-Unity-standards upgrade path here.

36. protopop

protopop

Can you tell me what Apple cut support for?

37. phobos2077

phobos2077

We got quite a lot of serious crashes after moving to 2019.3.9. Reported one of the most annoying crashes via Unity's bug tracker, but I have very low expectations of UT actually fixing it (editor crashes when calling GetComponent...) in a reasonable time frame. As usual, they require you to make a complete reproduction project, even when you say you don't know exactly how to reproduce it reliably but send them the complete log with the stack trace of the crash. Basically they require you to do their job for them, and if you won't (because I have other duties like, I don't know, working on my project??), they will ignore your report for months probably.

Working with latest Unity versions and DOTS/URP stack feels like walking on a minefield. We can report bugs sure, but considering they often don't fix even critical bugs in a timely manner, you are forced to spend hours to implement workarounds, avoiding these bugs. Or importing whole packages in project to fix bugs ourselves.

I'm not saying that 2019.3 is a complete mess though, our team liked the new UI, I liked the improved Profiler and Logcat seems to be working faster, among other improvements. But entering playmode is definitely slower than 2019.2 (about 50-100% slower subjectively, we didn't measure), and editor crashes more often (although 2019.2 also crashed once a week or so and hanged VERY often).

38. Ramobo

Ramobo

Personally I haven't had any issues with 2019.3[.10f1]. The known issues list was initially scaring me away, but after getting testimony from someone who had upgraded a similar project, we switched. The team leader didn't really like the new UI, but no crashes.

Did you go through 2019.1? If so, I'd like to ask whether you too noticed domain reload times ramping up insanely (about 300%) from 2019.1 to 2019.2 and being fixed in 2019.3. Compilation domain reloads anyway, I don't remember about enter play mode times.

39. Smileys

Smileys

Thanks for the quick answers. Will take a look at 2019.3 as it seems unavoidable now.

@protopop
    It is the support for UIWebView. Unity fixed that in an update for 2018.4, 2019.2 and 2019.3 - but not in 2019.1.

Thats what you get from Apple from now on using an old Unity version:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. ITMS-90809: Deprecated API Usage - New apps that use UIWebView are no longer accepted. Instead, use WKWebView for improved security and reliability.

protopop likes this.
  40. protopop

protopop

Thank you - it’s important to know these details when you publish for mobile :)

41. christianmahler

christianmahler

In the meantime:

And UE is free now for up to 1Mio $ revenue.

IOU_RAY and PeterB like this.
  42. Awarisu

Awarisu

Just saying hi before this post is moderated out

43. IOU_RAY

IOU_RAY

Not going to lie. If we weren't developing 2d games, we would definitely be jumping gun to UE. You can immediately tell if a game was made with Unreal by the incredible smoothness in first-person shooters. I have been curious lately if they have 1/10th the plethora of issues Unity does with questionable priorities, but we're so far down the rabbit hole into Unity :(. We'd need to scrap live & active projects and start over completely.

44. Mauri

Mauri

We been knew.

Let's not bring UE5 into this thread here when there's already one.

45. PeterB

PeterB

That's what I did, a number of months ago, after spending 10 years with Unity as a paying customer (Pro, then Plus, and now Free). Going to Unreal is a real breath of fresh air, and the conversion process was much smoother than anticipated since Unreal integrates so many systems into the core. I'm going to write up my experiences in a few more months; there is a decided lack of reports from people who have actually worked with both systems.

Awarisu likes this.
  46. Ukounu

Ukounu

Unity's "Book of the Dead" tech demo was released back in 2018, showing what the engine is (technically) capable of. Two years later, and we are still waiting for any Unity games to approach this kind of quality and realism.
    If you think it will be any different with Unreal Engine, you are going to be disappointed. :p

MasonWheeler likes this.
  47. Awarisu

Awarisu

Book of the Dead is an excellent example of just how badly things break between Unity versions. It was never ported to the HDRP that's actually released. If you check out the official project it brings its own version of HDRP with it in Assets (and obviously no longer works because it uses an internal API that is no longer present). So technically we don't know if Unity 2019.3 is capable of that.

phobos2077 likes this.
  48. christianmahler

christianmahler

You obviously have no clue what lumen and nanite are made for. This is not some Unity tech demo crap but technologies that were developed since 2009 to get rid of two of the biggest pain points in game development. This is game changing, it's really sad that because of all the disappointments in the recent years the Unity community can't believe an engine would actually be able to deliver something that works as designed

PeterB, Awarisu and phobos2077 like this.
  49. Sparkline

Sparkline

Hi devs. For a long time I use 2018.4 as it is quite stable, i use it for mobile games and apps. Just want to know is there any 2019 version that is also strong stable with android and ios? I'm scary to upgrade to 2019 coz of any crashes that will affect app health and rise down visibily on stores. But features of 2019 are so good!

fertel likes this.
  50. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

Even if it works exactly as designed, which may or may not be the case, it's still just tech demo crap. Did you pay attention to what actually happened in the demo, or did you let the magician distract you with his hand waving and only notice the things he was specifically drawing your attention to?

That point where the girl had to squeeze through a tight passage? That's an obnoxious gamedev cliche that's sprang up in the last few years to hide the fact that there's no level beyond the current point, and they don't want to shove a Loading screen in your face so they slow your movement to a crawl instead. This was very noticeable because Sony has specifically mentioned that the PS5's architecture transfers data fast enough to make loading delays completely obsolete, but this took about as long as a normal loading delay for current-gen hardware. (And they did it again, in a different way, when the temple door opened and the light from outside was so bright as to be completely opaque for several seconds.) This tells me that this technology has massive up-front performance costs, if setting it up completely negates the advantages of Sony's new hardware. It's "Andy giveth and Bill taketh away" all over again.

Also, pretty shadows that automagically move with the light is a cute trick and all that, but the truth of it is, in an adventure game, an RPG, or an FPS, you're going to visit most levels once and never return. But you know what you'll be looking at throughout the entire game? The characters! And the girl in this displayed what has always been one of Unreal Engine's weaknesses: portraying people well.

Remember Miranda from the Mass Effect series?
    upload_2020-5-15_4-41-56.jpeg
    This horrific mess of a face was supposed to have "genetically enhanced perfect beauty" in-universe, but to us she looks like a freak who was born and bred in the Uncanny Valley! Characters like her are why most developers don't bother trying to get human faces right in games, and instead make them look kinda cartoonish. Just like they did with girl in the UE5 demo. But Unity just released the Heretic: a photorealistic human model that looks like an actual person, with the technology needed to create your own. (You don't see Epic putting the sources to this little demo of theirs up on Github, now do you?) Have a look at that, because it's a graphical triumph far beyond anything we've seen out of UE5.

And their "royalty-free up to $1M in revenue" announcement is just further sleight of hand. The stuff they're demoing is AAA technology and anyone who's going to be taking advantage of it to build a project like the one shown in the demo is shooting for (or has already achieved via crowdfunding) millions in revenue just to cover the cost of development. Unity is royalty free, period, which will add up to a pretty big difference pretty quickly for any AAA studio.

A boss I used to work for had a term for technology like this: "it demos well." It was not a compliment.

MasoInar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.