Search Unity

Official Unity 2019.3 Is Now Available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by LeonhardP, Jan 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clearnot

clearnot

After I posted the empty project files to xcode, flash back on iphone exr ios13.3.1, and still work fine on iphone8p ios13.3

2. mistergreen2016

mistergreen2016

Well, 2019.3.2 didn't fix the FBX issue even though they said they fixed it!
    Can someone confirm this? FBX errors out with 2+ animations.

3. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

It's possible that it's a different problem that just looks like the same issue.

If you want to be sure they're fixing the issue you experience, send a bug-report with the FBX file that causes the problem:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

Then Unity can use this FBX file to test their fixes against.

After you submitted the bug-report, you receive a confirmation email with a bug-report Case number. Please post the Case number (number only, not the link) in this forum thread for Unity staff to pick up.

phobos2077 and Miguel_TagaiArts like this.
  4. abbabon

abbabon

IAP: Disabling and re-enabling IAP in services window throws multiple errors about failing to find assemblies (1193774) -
    this is not a life-saver, but an issue that has been bugging me daily on periods of time when I export many builds. Thanks!

Miguel_TagaiArts likes this.
  5. cmdexecutor

cmdexecutor

2019.3.2f1 nothing fixed there. I am just stunned with how the critical bug persists through 3 (three) releases after the "stable" version has came out. I'm not earning money by making gaming stuff, just sitting and wondering why am I wasting my time with Unity on discovering surprising bugs. There's no need to report them, they are known (every bug report answer).
    Yeah, definitely I can use previous Unity versions but with the same luck I can just switch engine itself.

6. mistergreen2016

mistergreen2016

Thanks. I'm stuck with 2019.3 because it fixed a critical AR bug for iOS.

7. mistergreen2016

mistergreen2016

Looks like the fbx fix won’t come out till 2020.1. No idea when that will be. No animations in the mean time!... on a gaming platform, kinda sad.

8. AhJun

AhJun

is it just me or anyone else notice that it takes significantly longer to import project on 2019.3.0 vs 2019.3.2f1 ? seems like assets are being imported on single core, only 7% cpu usage. (I usually delete the library folder on every upgrade so it takes long, but it seems to be taking extra long on this version)

9. Arthur-LVGameDev

Arthur-LVGameDev

Consistent crashes on macOS editor using 2019.3.2f1 -- with MTBF of approx. 20-30 minutes -- it's perhaps a bit better than some of the prior 2019.3x builds, which often had MTBFs in the single-digit number of minutes, but it's pretty bad.

The same project runs very well, extremely stable, on 2019.2x / latests -- which have been perhaps the most stable Unity versions since the version numbering changes.

I'm submitting what is probably a useless bug report via the unity crash reporter, likely useless due to the project being ~17GB. FWIW, I have experienced some crashes on a blank project as well, while trying to test a few of the 2019.3x-specific features, but not able to repro it super fast/quickly enough to be able to get a repro project together / I need to get back to actual work.

I've noticed that Curl is nearly[?] always in the crash stacks, which is interesting as I have Unity editor analytics disabled, but I'm sure plenty of other stuff uses HTTP libs/curl too, so who knows what the caller could be, or if it's simply coincidence.

The macOS crash dump/stack data
    If the 'Unity Crash Reporter' gives me any ID/link when it finishes uploading, I'll update this post with that information as well. https://pastebin.com/edzpgWXF

Unfortunately, we're probably going to have to stick with 2019.2x for now; I'm a little worried that 2019.4/LTS may not come out in stable/usable form til late Q4, heh. ;)

Edit: After uploading just under 10GB the Crash Reporter stopped pushing data & then ~5 minutes later displayed a "Connection Closed" error message. :( It'll allow me to re-attempt sending the report, but am kind of guessing it's intentional/not unexpected (and understandably so) and that you probably only want to find minimal repros if at all possible, which I completely get. I won't re-submit it for now, but if you would like me to submit a large repro (or anything else, logs, etc) -- or if there's anything I can do to help debug/troubleshoot, please don't hesitate to let me know or reach out directly. Thank you! :)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  10. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Here is how I submitted bigger projects to Unity Technologies.
    1. "Zip" your Unity project folder, either as a single huge file or multiple smaller files. 7zip for example supports file splitting.
    2. Submit a bug-report without the actual project and ask their QA for a password protected owncloud link. Tell them the actual size of the zip file you need to upload, plus 200mb. The bug-report needs to have full information on how to reproduce the issue already.
    3. Ask them not to reply with the password in the bug-report, but to send it directly to your email address.
    4. Post the bug-report case number in this thread for Unity to pick up (post the number only, not the actual link).
    5. Upload your project, the "zip" file(s), to the password protected owncloud location.
    6. Add a note to the bug-report, that you uploaded the project once it has successfully finished.
    7. Wait for them to fix the issue.

Leniaal and JoNax97 like this.
  11. astama

astama

I download unity up to date in unity website but why i get unity 2018 version? What's wrong?

12. MasonWheeler

MasonWheeler

Cloth has been completely broken for about a year now.

13. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

14. mistergreen2016

mistergreen2016

phobos2077 likes this.
  15. Grimps

Grimps

@Peter77 With 2019.3.2f1 I'm experiencing consistent entire MacOS crashes. I don't even get the typical MacOS fatal error in multiple languages. Unity freezes, the mouse then freezes and the OS locks up for several minutes until it just reboots or I have to restart it. This has happened to me 4 times in the course of 3 hours of work.

16. mistergreen2016

mistergreen2016

Are you running other apps at the same time? I’m seeing freezes too but only when I’m listening to YouTube at the same time on my second monitor.

17. Deozaan

Deozaan

I may be wrong here, but I believe TECH releases are supposed to release once per week or two. LTS releases are once every two weeks or one month.

At least, Unity 2018.4 LTS seems to get a release every two weeks, while 2017.4 LTS gets a release about once per month.

18. DrDigg0R

DrDigg0R

Hi guys,

Received a notification that 2019.3.3f1 would be available but the "Download new version" button leads to the site for 2019.3.2:
    upload_2020-2-26_17-52-11.png

Just saying; cheers :)

19. Grimps

Grimps

@mistergreen2016 I'm always running various apps, sometimes watching a YouTube video. However, I took a guess that it might be related to my Logitech G602 gaming mouse as it seemed to happen as I panning or zooming the stage. I switched to a wired mouse and I have not experienced the crash since. I should note this was not a crash that would happen previous to 2019.3.2f1.

20. cmdexecutor

cmdexecutor

I would be saying 2019.3.3 is still a beta but it was in beta for so long and due to deadlines the "beta" prefix got omitted :)
    Bet the 2019.4 LTS will be skipped straight to 2020.1 "final" release lol
    The day when Unity will become opensource will be the greatest planet-side celebration day :)

PS for those who interested in the fbx bug as being said:
    so in the 2019.3.3 nothing fixed yet

DrDigg0R and phobos2077 like this.
  21. Velo222

Velo222

Using Unity 2019.3.0f6 I'm still getting my console spammed with "TLS Allocator ALLOC_TEMP_THREAD, underlying allocator ALLOC_TEMP_THREAD has unfreed allocations, size 13570" Error messages that constantly spam the console.

Along with Warning messages of the same type. And Debug.Log messages like: "Allocation of 4523 bytes at 00000178F000A750". I have 999+ of all 3 message types within a minute or two. It is constant in the Editor. Happens every Editor session, and in multiple projects.

Is there a way to trace or look at the stack errors to see what the problem could even possibly be related to? It says something about a header (.h) file in the warning messages. The warning messages say: "To Debug, enable the define: DEBUG_STACK_LEAK in StackAllocator.h. This will output the callstacks of the leaked allocations." However Unity does not give access to these header files, naturally.

The Unity Editor also crashes every time I try to manipulate the UI (i.e. move around UI elements like images, buttons, etc....).

In summary I'm getting a lot of errors and crashes in this version lol.

22. Grimps

Grimps

2019.3.2f1 as well as 2019.3.3, when I return to Unity after having switched to others apps, it freezes up nearly all of the time and I have to force quit to continue working.

MacOS 10.15.2

23. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Are you sure you don't just have to wait a bit longer before force quitting?
    I'm using 10.14.6 with 2019.3.3 and don't have this problem.
    could this be a Catalina thing?

24. natelive

natelive

Everything's great except the new package system makes any script change freeze my editor for 5-10 seconds. It's... annoying.

25. mistergreen2016

mistergreen2016

Try using without a browser on. I've been using Blender with Chrome at the same time and it freezes my mac.
    I don't have problems with Unity. I have VS and Xcode on at the same time. If I play youtube and try to compile I do see monitor glitches. Check your Activity Monitor. The browsers might be taking up too much CPU or memory.

26. Deleted User

Deleted User

How do you come to that conclusion? How is this related to that?

MadeFromPolygons and phobos2077 like this.
  27. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

No it doesnt. Dont make completely unsubstantiated claims about the engine like that, its just going to confuse newcomers.

If you have some actual empirical evidence to suggest this, I suggest you make a new thread and post said evidence.

Otherwise, please leave the engineering detective work to those on the team - its only something that will be fruitful when evidence is supplied and used to act on the issue, as is the case with any issue resolution procedure in software.

JoNax97 likes this.
  28. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

You are correct, but Unity themselves have used the Package Manager as an excuse for a variety of slowdowns, so I don't think we can blame newcomers for jumping to conclusions.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  29. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Thats also a fair assessment! I also did not read the users post count!

AcidArrow and JoNax97 like this.
  30. drpelz

drpelz

Very, very unstable (2019.3.3f1)!:mad: Crashes consistently when switching between layout- and game-view on a Mac. :confused: At first I thought some of the plugins I use (DoTween and xmllayout) cause the instability but after some tests I figured out that it's Unity which is so unstable. It crashed my Mac so I had to reboot the system! WTF!!!???:eek: With this version I'm not able to work with so I think I will go back to 2019.2.21 which seems to be pretty stable (using Mac OS X 10.15.3) ...

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  31. Deleted User

Deleted User

Tired of the spammers.

Velo222 likes this.
  32. unity_2jxHNVY36zr2mg

unity_2jxHNVY36zr2mg

Its getting worse with every update, now in 2019.3.3 i get random crashes, and can't even open project without rebooting the system, because Unity locks temp folder or assembly scripts folder or it says that project already open! This is ridiculous.

Unity team, please fix and test your product.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
  33. Deleted User

Deleted User

Maybe it would be better that you don't upgrade your projects and finish them with the version of Unity that works best for them.

34. unity_2jxHNVY36zr2mg

unity_2jxHNVY36zr2mg

2019.3 was stated as lastest official release. Not alpha, not beta, not prerelease, not preview. Maybe just don't call it official and move it beta?

35. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah, sure. Did you read the upgrade guide before upgrading your project? Did you backup your project before upgrading?

Unity Technologie never said that upgrading a project to a new version of Unity was safe; it's your responsibility to make sure everything goes right. If your project is broken by a new version, just finish it with the version that suits it best.

36. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

They didn't say the opposite either though:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uFaV2LjjL5do5rr65RCbBZTK3qmMDkQjH8GVpxuP91M/preview

There is a disconnect between best practices and how Unity advertises itself. Unity's marketing materials and general communication is along the lines of "Use the latest and greatest features NOW", and when people do that here on the forums we go "You are not using LTS? What are you? Crazy?".

This is a Unity generated problem, stop making excuses for them.

37. Deleted User

Deleted User

Not making excuses for anyone. Your post is a flaming attempt, stop it.

38. roka

roka

So for you, all disappointed people just have to sit there and must say that everything is good when everybody know that something is wrong (even yourself) ?

I have already made a lot of posts about this situation.

Adding new content, moving foward with new stuff ect ... is cool but releasing something that 90% of the beta tester call it as "not ready for production" is something wrong and can give a bad image for new user that use Unity for the first time.

Maybe if you work with Unity for few years now, you can find some workaround when a bug is not fixed but someone new that come for the first time, download the last unity version (yeah yeah the buggy version that everyone are talking about here) and do not understand why the editor crash and why his project is not working event if it's not his fault give a bad image of this engine.

Just take a look at all comments posted on this thread and tell me that the majority of the people are happy of this version?

Before they close the 2019.3 beta forum section , do you have see that a lot of people have reported a lot of issues but they have still pushed out the release?

I love your :

Well , i don't know if you have a production game ready, but for my case, most of time , i do not upgrade my project because of new feature but mostly in order to fix some bug present and reported age ago ....... (no comment).

Also what happen to new users that download the last public release (this one)?

But like per magie, when you upgrade to a new version, you fix some bug, it's true, but you gain new one in a more important value. So at the end , we are in a circle.

Everybody here know that Unity is a great tool and thank god to have it. But we just want a real usable version, not a new version that fix old bug by creation new one.

Anyway, anyone can say whatever he want, when a business model is started , nobody can't stop it.

fertel, pm007 and PeterB like this.
  39. JoNax97

JoNax97

No it's not.

fertel, cmdexecutor and PeterB like this.
  40. ivlasiuk

ivlasiuk

Can't download 2019.3.3 via UnityHub. After while reports problem that inconsistent build

41. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

42. valarnur

valarnur

When is LTS 19.4 shipping ?

43. Deleted User

Deleted User

44. Deozaan

Deozaan

At about the same time as when Unity 2020.1 ships.

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

I remember reading somewhere people complaining about getting Assertion Failed error messages but I cannot remember where I read this.

I just got three times this error message, in 2019.3.3f1, reading:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assertion failed
    2. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr) (at /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:187)
    This error message doesn't prevent using play mode.

46. viet2nt

viet2nt

I think Unity has serious problems with its vision/attitude:

- stability is random, not better by time
    - every component feels broken, disconnected, very short sighted - lacking of high level design/vision
    - worst of all: unity seem didn't care about it at all by label beta quality software "production-ready"

Bugs can be fixed, vision/attitude is another story

47. Awarisu

Awarisu

I thought this was intentional with the whole split-the-engine-into-packages deal? We might disagree with it but there's definitely a high level vision there.

phobos2077 likes this.
  48. PeterB

PeterB

That's packaging. What the OP is talking about is that there is no vision for how the engine works as a whole.

Unity is in a total state of flux. What's causing this is ostensibly a desire to upgrade the engine to "democratise the game industry", but in reality the cause is a different one: Unity is planning an IPO during 2020. In order to pump up the evaluation of the company, Unity is and has been adding AAA features at a rapid pace in order to compete with Unreal. However, these features are for the most part incomplete and buggy and destabilise the engine and the development flow.

Now, Unity could decide to live up to their mission statement of democratising the game industry by ensuring that their customers don't suffer during the transition period, but they don't. They ignore their users' pain: the IPO and the company evaluation is much more important to them. It's important to mention that this strategy comes from the C level, not from individual engineers at Unity who all are doing what they can despite the conflicting overarching company goal.

So in each specific situation where there is a choice between adding a new AAA feature and reducing user pain, Unity, under its current management, will always choose to add the AAA feature.

49. IOU_RAY

IOU_RAY

I definitely understand the intent with the packages system. It makes sense to go this route, but it truly feels like they are managed by people who have no direction/priorities whatsoever. I've seen Burger King's better organized, and I wish I meant that as an insult, but it's the truth.

My team migrated from Flash for bigger multiplayer game dev projects over to Unity with the fact that flash is dying, and I used to think Adobe was unprofessional with their software releases, crazy bugs, production halts on untested changes. I have to go back in time and tell myself heh, that's nothing, man!

Nothing about Unity feels professional at this point...it all feels like a slop-fest, and you know every time someone from Unity says "Sorry for the delay in response! We're working on it!" ...oh wait that's a post from 4 years ago, repeated today. The trust and faith is gone now.

I see people coming up with excuses for them about not upgrading, using LTS, etc...there's so many bugs that a lot of us simply upgrade in attempt to find a fix for <x>, or have access to outdated <y> (as the excuse to push beyond LTS) as a feature in general and it all screams of disarray at Unity with their extremely poor management and communication of it all.

People here are not upset because it's not perfect, we're upset because we invested everything into it based on our perspective that they were professional/tidy, and we're all running into ridiculous setbacks left and right, and for many of us, this is our livelihood.

50. PeterB

PeterB

Exactly. Nailed it. For smaller projects – and there's nothing wrong with them – the pain isn't quite as noticeable. However, if you try a larger project you will quickly run into problems. There is then the added problem that different types of developers get very different impressions of the state of Unity depending on their experience and background and thus have trouble communicating with devs with other types of experience and background.

The problem with Unity is that there's never been a really stable release, not even an LTS one. This forces people to upgrade to tech releases in the hope that a crucial bug finally might have been fixed. This is especially so if your project pushes the engine or the editor in any way.

I think it's important to view features promised to us, and features given to us in a first implementation, purely as marketing rather than tech. All these promises are there to keep us hooked. Same thing goes for all the demos: they represent not the state of the engine available to all devs at the time the demo was made, but an idea of what Unity might become. Fine, you can create something similar to the forest in The Book of the Dead if you work really hard, but it won't be an area large enough for gameplay. Also, the official demo you took as inspiration probably only will work for the specific version it was written in. Even minor version upgrades break the demos most of the time. Thus, they are marketing ploys directed towards subscribers in order to keep us hooked.

The problem for me, who have been using the engine since 2010, is that all those promises made during a full decade never have been delivered upon fully. "Oh, yes, multi-terrain handling is coming soon," "There will be a new multiplayer networking layer really soon," "The new GI system will be fantastic," etc, etc, ad nauseam. I've waited for 10 years for Unity to create something which is usable for my type of game. I've finally come to the conclusion that it will take several years for Unity to stabilise even if they manage to add all those features which they've promised us for many years now. I can't wait that long. Thus I'm simply using the wrong engine and need to change. Consequently, I have downgraded my subscription from Pro to Plus and now Free. Why pay for being an alpha tester for something which claims to be a colossus but still has clay legs?

On the other hand, if Unity works for someone, all power to them. The whole thing boils down to choosing the right engine for your type of game. However, the sad bit is that Unity has misled us all as to the current state and plans for their engine, so that choice has been very difficult to make due to all the ... ahem, "fake news" we've seen over the years.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    Abrasive and Ramobo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.