Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity 2019.3 Is Now Available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by LeonhardP, Jan 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

2019.3-Blog-1280x720.jpg
    Download & Release Notes | Blog Post | Docs

Unity 2019.3 is now available on the download page and in the Unity Hub.

Read the blog post for an overview over the biggest changes or visit our 2019.3 landing pages for more details:

2019.3 landing page

Remember to back up your projects before opening them in a new version of Unity. If you encounter any issues, please let us know by submitting a bug report so it can reach our developers.

A big thank you to all of our alpha and beta users who helped to test 2019.3 and gave us feedback while it was in development! Note that we’ve locked the 2019.3 beta forum for new discussions. Please create new threads related to 2019.3 in the Unity Community Discussion forums.

Bastienre4, Alverik, sarum and 20 others like this.
  2. konsic

konsic

When will SRP 7.2.0 be available?

3. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

How do we activate FFR on Vulkan on Oculus Quest?

aoeu642 likes this.
  4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

It will still take a couple of weeks.

5. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

6. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Thankyou, there is no mention of it on the Oculus XR Plugin here https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.xr.oculus@1.1/changelog/CHANGELOG.html

I am concerned it may only work with the now deprecated built-in VR support, and not through the new XR Plugin System released with 2019.3.

There is also a very detailed post on some experiences me and other developers like @fherbst have experience when trying to use new features such as SRP UniversalRP and the New Input System on VR platforms with many issues. We are always reporting bugs for these as they show up but it would be great to see Unity test the latest features such as URP, Input System, XR Management Subsystems and XR Interaction Toolkit together to make sure they do work together properly. For us developers the current state of Unity XR is fragmented in terms of support for newer features we are being encouraged to use.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/fol...ous-systems-supposed-to-work-together.817086/

7. Velo222

Velo222

Nice! Been waiting for this release for awhile now :)

UnityMaru likes this.
  8. Ferazel

Ferazel

In the release notes you should put the Android 4.4 requirement next to the iOS 10 requirement change at the top of the notes. Also the removal of x86 android maybe?

TextusGames likes this.
  9. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Thanks for the feedback - I'll certainly share this internally :)

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  10. PromeshStudio

PromeshStudio

Uh, I have waited this forever, thanks unity!

Velo222 likes this.
  11. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

RIP 2019.2.

Now let's pray for no crippling bugs to show up before it's last two releases.

12. saifshk17

saifshk17

Please try to check if multi-view has no problems in Oculus Quest (such as lag issue) and multi-pass has no problem rendering in both eyes which was the case. Thank you.

lucidtripper likes this.
  13. addent

addent

I second that there are major issues with Unity's fragmented XR features right now. The current state of affairs actually feels much worse than Unity 2019.1, with many XR bugs, XR incompatibility with new features, XR specific feature churn, and poor documentation.

In 2020, we need to see a unifying vision to bring it all together and some semblance of XR feature stability.

lucidtripper and ROBYER1 like this.
  14. JoWi_Uniform

JoWi_Uniform

I have a small issue converting a 2019.2 project to 2019.3, when using on-demand reflection probes the workaround that we used for forcing an update was:

Code (CSharp):
    1. UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering.HDPipeline.HDAdditionalReflectionDataExtensions.RequestRenderNextUpdate(probe);
    But now HDPipeline does not exist in UnityEngine.Experimental.Rendering, any idea where this has moved to?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    lucidtripper likes this.
  15. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Some issues may arise from converting a live project from 2019.2 to 2019.3. As mentioned in the blog:

If you are in pre-production or simply want to get your hands on all the latest features now, you can begin downloading the full release from our update page. For those of you who have projects in production or want to update live projects, we highly recommend waiting for the 2019.4 Long-Term Support (LTS) release. Unity 2019.4 LTS will ship this spring.

It will have the same feature set as Unity 2019.3. The difference is that while the TECH stream offers you the latest features and improvements, in the LTS releases we focus entirely on stability and quality. We only add fixes that address crashes, regressions, and issues that affect the wider community. That means Integrated Success Services customer issues, console SDK/XDK issues, or any major changes that would prevent many of you from shipping your game. The LTS release is supported for two years, with biweekly updates providing further fixes, and is intended for projects beyond pre-production.

16. Awarisu

Awarisu

The new official DOTS sample does not work out of the box with this release. Why would it.

Qbit86, raydentek, yuliyF and 2 others like this.
  17. r618

r618

this is a complete non answer - you're just confirming it's happening without any meaningful advice - sorry

@JoWi_Uniform my guess is it was moved out of Experimental namespace
    I would actually verify this myself, if I was only not getting "Incomplete or corrupted download file" message in the hub for the fifth time or so (without any option to resume the download, of course - but this is happening after the download progress indicator fills up entirely so.. idk)

Awarisu and PeterB like this.
  18. Joey_Enthusiast

Joey_Enthusiast

I upgraded from 2019.2.12f1 to 2019.3.0f6. Now all my terrains are causing the following error: "Unknown error occurred while loading 'Assets/Terrain.asset'". Anyone got a solution / work around? Or are all my terrain files going to have to be deleted?

19. soleron

soleron

20. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

soleron likes this.
  21. Deleted User

Deleted User

So, 2019.2 is dead? I have a very weird and silly problem with both 2019.3 and 2020.1 that I describe here, see point 2). Consequently, I cannot upgrade my project to 2019.3 for now; I'll have to find a way to fix that before carrying on.

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

Same thing for me.

23. rasto61

rasto61

No. Even logged in still getting that.

edit: And I get that for all the links in the post. (or most, after a few I stopped trying)
    edit2: I can see the content for the Havok subscription.

24. deplorablemountaineer

deplorablemountaineer

Not quite crippling as there's an easy fix, but it seems 2019.3.0f6 can get into a state where the log keeps printing "Not a Prefab Scene", but the fix is to restart Unity. I think (but am not certain) what triggered it was renaming a prefab in the hierarchy window while inside the prefab editor scene. Also when I changed the name, there was a popup asking if I wanted to change the prefab filename as well. I clicked OK but it did not change the filename. I did that manually (and maybe THAT was the trigger).

In addition, I know they're deprecated, but I'm using Unity standard assets for a UDEMY course, and I had to edit two c# files to replace the old GUI classes that were removed in 2019.3 with the new UI classes.

25. keeponshading

keeponshading

Congatulations and Thanks. I am happy. Ported all projects from 2018.2.18 to 2019.3.0f6 today and i am really happy with all the new HDRP, VEG, Shadergraph and DXR in preview possibilities.
    The long beta phase helped a lot to prepare a nice upgrade behaviour.

Only the remove of the resolution dialog was not so nice. I needed to write more than 100 bat files to test all resolutions and multi screen solutions.

Our heavy BuiltIn RP scenarios are loosing around 3 to 5% fps on 3840x2160 resolutions.
    Quality seettings and project settings are the same.
    So if someones has similar experience and an idea where to look into. Give me a message.

fherbst and LeonhardP like this.
  26. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

soleron and Deleted User like this.
  27. rasto61

rasto61

Looks like it is.

28. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

2019.2 will no longer receive updates after the 2019.2.21 release in a week. For the issue you're describing we will need a bug report with a reproduction project in order to be able to investigate.

29. BigDaz

BigDaz

The roadmap image jumps from 2019 to 2021.

30. unace

unace

upload_2020-1-28_11-39-9.png

I am still facing this issue. (I cleared the cache and tested it with the secret mode)

31. Deleted User

Deleted User

It was, no longer now! :D

32. grllle

grllle

Is this a misunderstanding or are you highly recommending waiting for the 2019.4 LTS release for projects in production while using a version that will not be updated anymore in the meantime?

PeterB likes this.
  33. andersTheNinja

andersTheNinja

Nice work. Upgraded my project, one small gotcha with DoozyUI (had to re-enable TextMesh Pro), but otherwise all went smoothly. Updated to asset db v2, also without issue.
    I obviously made a backup, luckily I didn't need it. :)

34. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

I think it's better to way 2019.4 due to 2019.3 stability on some points if you have a project close to prod or in prod. I think it's better to wait 2019.4 until april - june.

Or if you really want the 2019.3 wait at least a month to have 4 fix iterations.

35. t-ley

t-ley

Why won’t it open
    The last version wouldn’t even open the iOS download
    The installation failed
    But this new version won’t open it it either
    It says the installation failed
    Is it still free or we have to pay cause I already pay forty a month with
    Or is it made to have to pay for the pro to use it

it does seem better it but I’d did already crash
    But at least it saved the levels made with the asset race track generator without opening a prefab
    It saved eleven levels on a crash
    Awesome
    But it seems I have to be a pro member and not a plus to get a support line

I have a Mac with the latest Xcode
    it switched to mobile with previous versions but now nothing

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  36. SINePrime

SINePrime

Even more interesting to me is that there's only 2 TECH stream releases for 2020 and 2021.

Is this roadmap accurate? ie, Will Unity 2020 be rebranded to Unity 2021, and will we only have 2 TECH stream releases per year?

If it is, I assume we'll get a blog post about this soon, right?

37. Mauri

Mauri

What issue are you facing exactly? A screenshot would be helpful.

38. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

Absolutely no info on how to activate FFR with Vulkan using the Oculus Loader plugin in 2019.3 here at all. Does anyone have a link to the documentation to explain how to activate it?

It's one of the main announced VR features for this release with no actual information about it for developers. Baffling.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.xr.oculus@1.1/api/index.html

Claytonious likes this.
  39. soleron

soleron

I feel the way they explained it, or perhaps the way I understood it, it is a wrong approach. It is confusing and probably useless for most developers. If they are unable to create mature features in every cycle that they were previously releasing just fine, that is understandable.

I would say they somehow started doing something wrong that put them off pace, but ultimately it is up to the teams and how their reality has evolved.

In this case I would prefer they go old school and do one release per year. This way we would know how to plan ahead and what to expect, and would give them time to test and complete features properly.

Unless they could do proper 2 releases a year every six months. One feature and one feature and LTS.

As for the blog post regarding releases, I do not know, but they had this video explaining a few things. It was included in the 19.3 release blog post. all the way down.

40. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

This is from their 2019.3 blog post:
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2020/01/28/unity-2019-3-is-now-available/

I would also like to add that you should not just blindly update Unity to any version. Always make a backup of your project and thoroughly test the editor and player with your project before your team jumps on the new version.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    Immu likes this.
  41. SINePrime

SINePrime

Ah, I completely missed that all the way at the bottom there. Thanks for pointing it out.

42. steveh2112

steveh2112

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
  43. PeterB

PeterB

Excellent reasoning. Unfortunately, testing and completing features properly has never really been a priority for Unity. We've never seen a Unity version that was properly tested, much less one where features were completed properly.

It's not strange. In order to "democratise game making", it's only necessary to satisfy the customer segment with fairly basic needs, for fairly basic games. That's Unity's market niche. Don't expect quality in depth.

soleron likes this.
  44. cryptoforge

cryptoforge

Hell, yes!

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

You know, there are other game engines out there; you can use them if Unity is too "democratic" for you.

Immu likes this.
  46. grllle

grllle

You missed my point. Unity recommends not to upgrade projects in production to 2019.3 atm.
    LeonhardP said 2019.2 will not get updates anymore. For me, this means that i should wait for the lts release while using a version that won't get patched until then. I just wanted to assure that i understood it correctly.

On another note: of course i tried upgrading my project to .3 and there were no issues at all for me using the guide. And on a first look 2019.3 is damn impressive to me!

soleron likes this.
  47. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

You understood what he said :)

48. afftar

afftar

I have a issue converting a 2019.2 project to 2019.3 and get this error when opening the scene:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    UnityEngine.UI.Selectable.OnDisable () (at com.unity.ugui/Runtime/UI/Core/Selectable.cs:523)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

AND

IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    (wrapper stelemref) System.Object.virt_stelemref_class(intptr,object)

This happens at all Buttons in scene. These are ordinary Unity buttons, without overload.
    This prevents me from building an Android project.

49. ROBYER1

ROBYER1

It is down again, also still no documentation on how to use FFR on Vulkan for Oculus Quest
    As mentioned here, there is a Vulkan Density map debug output in Logcat when running a build, but nothing in the Unity manual or Oculus Loader manual to explain how to programmatically change it
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/ocu...-0f6-with-vulkan-cross-eye-distortion.817878/

50. andyz

andyz

If you click on that image on the front page of the website it takes you to a 403 page here: https://unity.com/releases/2019-3

Several blog links are broken

Honestly someone needs replacing on the web team!

afftar and ROBYER1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.