Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2019.3.0f6 on Linux is VERY GOOD!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Claytonious, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Claytonious

Claytonious

Just wanted to drop a line here to say it is working very well and performs very well so far, even on a couple of our very large projects. Congrats to the Unity folks who've been working on the Linux port - it's awesome!

2. MadWatch

MadWatch

May I ask which distribution and desktop environment you're using?

cadkins83 likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'd like to know too. :)

cadkins83 likes this.
  4. ryanjo

ryanjo

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the thanks! I'd also be curious to know what distro and desktop environment you're using. If anyone is looking for a recommendation, Ubuntu 18.04 + Gnome is probably your best bet right now.

5. LevonRavel

LevonRavel

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon was doing pretty well, I have a few large projects one in Android and another has about 5+ years work as Standalone..

Few issues
    • The RectTransform tool doesnt show up in editor
    • When closing Unity3dD it freezes
    • Some small VSCode issues
    Request
    • Monodevelop as a alternative IDE to VSCode

I might try a go with Ubuntu 18.04 + Cinnamon I cant stand Unity <---- the Ubuntu sidebar :)
    Good job though to the Unity3D Team its looking promising.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  6. Claytonious

Claytonious

Kubuntu 19.10 with KDE Plasma desktop env (customized to be pretty lightweight):
    upload_2020-2-7_18-4-1.png

I'm mostly building to Android target these days, both for mobile and Oculus Quest. Builds from the Linux port are *much* faster than they've been on Windows and Mac, though I don't have exactly apples-to-apples hardware to compare across those. Entering playmode and compiling are also much snappier here than on Windows/Mac so far in the same projects.

I've hardly had any problems at all (other than needing to manually cleanup the Android SDK and NDK install from Unity which had incorrect file permissions and locations, but that's a one-time thing). The one chronic issue I have is that quitting the editor doesn't actually quit (I have kill -9 from a terminal). Not much of a bother.

I've only been on 2019.3.0f6 so far.

hippocoder and LevonRavel like this.
  7. LevonRavel

LevonRavel

Same here with the editor not quitting, going to install 18.04 Gnome hopefully everything turns out great.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  8. wenderRondonia

wenderRondonia

Ubuntu 18.04 and it is very stable, many many steps ahead from previous versions, also nice UI

dginovker and volfase like this.
  9. LevonRavel

LevonRavel

Just installed it, feels very smooth to be honest I am glad I made the change. I found that I could download an extension called Dash To Panel I am happy with the results.. I will note though there was a forum where someone was complaining about freedom of distros. Here is the thing many companies can release for Debian that gives the people freedom of choice, now I am not against what I am seeing currently. Ease of use, some freedom to arrange the desktop <-- with looking up how to do it, and over all I'm pretty pleased. If Companies want to satisfy everyone's needs or wants with many distros I think maybe they should drop to the source where they all originate from that way no one can complain. Me I am not a complainer just want my desktop to look a given way. -Levon

still time is not in am/pm and desktop icons are to big, but its cool haha.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Anybody having experience with Linux Mint + xfce and could provide feedback?

11. LevonRavel

LevonRavel

Honestly go with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS you can remove the launcher on the right side well sort of heres how my desktop looks.

I achieved the look by using
    • Dash to panel from the Application store
    Cons
    • When installing Unity3d you have to jump through some hoops for android
    • When installing VSCode you will also have to update to the latest mono
    • Sometimes when scrolling in and out of the scene view the transform tools will disappear
    I was on Linux Mint 19.3 mate sort of worked Linux Mint Cinnamon all had sorts of issues, but the Unity3d Dev team are all on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS so you could do 18.04 and then install xfce on top of it should work about the same.

12. CorneliusCornbread

CorneliusCornbread

I agree, I'm on Manjaro and the editor runs great, although start times seem to be slower. Though that's most likely some other issue as I'm having issues with long loading times in games in general on Linux.

I do get a crash if I try to run the game window with maximize on play but other than that it's perfect.

dginovker likes this.
  13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Not an option for me. I just tried it and it's lagging so much that it's unusable. I had the exact same problem with Ubuntu Studio.

For now only Linux Mint works for me but I have to tweak it. I'm going to try CentOS again; the first time I installed it it just never started; maybe I did something wrong.

14. MadWatch

MadWatch

I'm in the process of trying Unity on various distributions and desktop environment to see how well it does on each (and choose one for myself). Mint XFCE is on my list.

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

You're going to need this: https://itsfoss.com/reduce-overheating-laptops-linux/ :)

16. LevonRavel

LevonRavel

17. EskemaGames

EskemaGames

Another one here with 2019.3.06 and no issues at all, at least not anything deal breaker...
    Distro Pop_Os 19.10 which is based on ubuntu

18. Balthamet

Balthamet

I could not be happier using 2019.3.06 on Ubuntu 19.10. I guess if I wanted to nitpick, occasionally the editor will hang when exiting. That doesn’t bother me as I am done using it at that point.

19. matkoniecz

matkoniecz

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

matkoniecz likes this.
  21. matkoniecz

matkoniecz

Thanks for a hint, I see that it is available in hub. I still need to solve bogus complaint about missing free space (total space available 40 GB, space required 11.7 GB, but attempt to install is blocked due to missing free space), but hopefully I am on a correct road.

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

Did you set the installation location in the Hub?

matkoniecz likes this.
  23. matkoniecz

matkoniecz

No, thank you for pointing it out! But after setting it I am still bitten by this issue

It looks like https://forum.unity.com/threads/the...ad-and-install-the-selected-items-bug.684841/

It appears that

1) Unity Hub wants to download files to /tmp that is for some reason limited to 1.9 GB (and apparently there is no method to override this download location and it is not mentioning why it actually fails)

2) lsblk and KDE partition manager is not showing /tmp as being on a separate partition. And I selected to have / mount point on a single partition. Without splitting /tmp or /home or anything else to separate partitions. To avoid exactly this kind of problem.

3) is maybe /tmp using swap partition? (afaik not but I am running out of ideas)

4) is there some other limit of /tmp folder size? Even when not mounted on a separate partition? When I navigate with PsManFM-qt to /tmp it is showing that I have only 1.9 GB of free space. When I am in / or in /home it is showing >48 GB of free space (I made some further cleanup)

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

What Linux are you using? And where did you get the Hub?

I'm under Linux Mint 19.3 and I'm using the hub appimage that is provided by Unity here and I have no problems of any kind installing the editor. I prefer using the appimage; I tried the Unity Hub that was on Mint app store and I had weird results with it.

25. matkoniecz

matkoniecz

Lubuntu 19.10, Hub 2.2.2 is from https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/InstallingUnityLinux.html

It turns out that I was confused by fact that single partition may have multiple file system with size limits.

In my case /tmp has size limit of 2GB

I found out that I can change size limit using

sudo mount -o remount,size=10G /tmp

command. This allowed installation to proceed.

Disclaimer: it may work OK or may delete all your files. I do not really care as I have backups. Make sure that you have backups before running random commands from post made by a confused programmer.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  26. Deleted User

Deleted User

Weird, I don't think /tmp has a size limit in my installation; it's just a folder like any other in the File System directory...

27. matkoniecz

matkoniecz

I also though so, but it turns to have its own filesystem in a default Lubuntu 19.10 install (confirmed by `df -h | grep tmp`)

EDIT: sorry for offtopic

28. matkoniecz

matkoniecz

On topic: 2019.3.0f6 is great!

I was using an earlier version (just going through the most basic tutorials like roll-the-ball one) and there was plenty of glitches like transparent color picker window, menus staying visible for several seconds after closing them, "add component" menu was transparent, poor font size, lag etc.

All of that is gone in 2019.3.0f6

offtopic: As I understand: you have multiple, special purpose filesystems for storing temporary files (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tmpfs ), but unlike my system none is used for /tmp that has no eparate system on your computer

For example /run is a special filesystem available early in the boot process ( https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/13972/what-is-this-new-run-filesystem ), /dev/shm is like /tmp but backed by RAM not by drive ( https://superuser.com/questions/45342/when-should-i-use-dev-shm-and-when-should-i-use-tmp#45509 ), /run/lock is for lock files used by processes (https://askubuntu.com/questions/169495/what-are-run-lock-and-run-shm-used-for )...

29. ak1200

ak1200

I recently delivered a large client project running 2019.3.0f6 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with Gnome and X11.

The only issue I ran into was with the popupwindow flag to launch the application -- that does not work and apparently has not worked since 5.5.1

We were able to do a workaround using xdotool.

Other than that, it performs flawlessly, even playing nice with Nvidia Mosaic and a large array of monitors.

Good job, Unity!

30. o_ourson

o_ourson

31. matkoniecz

matkoniecz

No idea, but you can install an earlier version and upgrade using Unity Hub.

32. A_Savvidis

A_Savvidis

I just realized that Ubuntu dropped that dreadfull UI called Unity years ago. Why do people still say Ubuntu with Gnome. That's the default since some years ago. I will soon get rid of my dual boot and go with Mint (I'm currently using it with not issues at all) or Ubuntu (So that Unity won't nag when I report the many bugs that are in my list so far haha ).
    Kudos to the Unity team for finally looking into our favorite operating system.

33. Lemare

Lemare

Marcos-Elias likes this.
  34. Gibibit

Gibibit

There's a 2019.3 for Linux? I'm keeping an eye on the stickied Release Notes thread but since there have been no new posts since the 2019.1 release I assumed Unity for Linux development was dead...

I appreciate all the hard work on the Linux editor, don't get me wrong. Really want to get rid of working on Windows for production (uegh bloatware and all that) but we're stuck on 2018.4 LTS for our current release.

As a sidenote: the roadmap Linux Support item still contains a link to the now defunct Unity Feedback website.

35. Deleted User

Deleted User

Of course, it's in the Hub.

36. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

Yes the release for Linux Editor are now via the stand Unity release notes so look there for information about fixes etc...

37. wonkafiedwizard

wonkafiedwizard

How exactly did you get Unity on Ubuntu 19.10?
    for reference, I this is what I am using

Attached Files:

38. Claytonious

Claytonious

Just by using the unity hub.

39. attishno1

attishno1

I am running it on Linux Mint 20. Unity 2020 is better in a few ways:

1. Unity 2019 does not have multi-window support at least for me
    2. Unity 2019 BOLT Visual Scripting Tool does not work. I cannot use the Fuzzy Finder in BOLT

40. Drakulin

Drakulin

Can someone give me link for unity 5.3 or 2021 offline installer in ubuntu? Do you know if it works on ubuntu 21? Last time i installed 2020 version from hub the editor was freezing when i press the close button

41. MX-Pain

MX-Pain

I'm running with Manjaro latest version available. And Unity 2021.1.20f1 and is working fine.
    I remember that I had the error of the editor not closing on Kubuntu plasma about a year ago.
    However now is working fine.
    upload_2021-9-16_9-41-1.png