Search Unity

Unity 2019-2020 editors are incredibly slow

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Cactus_on_Fire, May 30, 2020.

1. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

The 2019 versions of Unity are unusable. The editor freezes for seconds when you press or move anything. I was hoping 2020 fixed this issue but the same slow editor persists even in 2020. I lost an entire project while switching versions and while the assets were still there, scenes and levels got comletely corrupted.

Is there an official solution for this or are we just going to have to wait until there is a stable build?

2. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

I can't comment on the performance issues as I haven't experienced them but I would strongly recommend taking a backup before attempting to upgrade your project for this reason. Or even better, use version control such as git.

3. Madgvox

Madgvox

Unity even explicitly recommends this on the upgrade screen!

4. dgoyette

dgoyette

In my experience, Unity doesn't behave the way you're describing out of the box. You should profile the editor to see what's locking things up for seconds at a time as you use the editor. Enable deep profiling, perform one of the actions that's performing badly, then look at the result to see specifically what's taking up all that time. Usually this sort of thing is the result of some script doing something it shouldn't, and might either reveal a bug in some code you're using in your project, or a specific bug you can report to Unity to fix. In any case, just saying "Unity is slow" won't get you any resolution to your issue, because it generally isn't slow (in the way you describe), and your specific case will need to be addressed explicitly. This will require a little effort on your part.

5. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

I have zero scripts in my project. There are only meshes and materials. I can't use a previous version because assetstore now only accepts submitting assets with 2019 or later versions. I have tried it with Unity 2019.1.5f1 , 2019.2.7f2 and 2019.3.15f1. Although it doesn't freeze with 2018 series and before so it does look like an out of the box issue which is why there isn't much to be specific about. There are no plugins, scripts, extensions or anything additional to the default clean Unity setup that I install and create a fresh new project.
    Here is the profiler of the 1 fps scene with no scripts and just a few lowpoly meshes with the default standard unity materials.

6. dgoyette

dgoyette

First, you'll need to enable "Profile Editor", since you're trying to determine why the Unity Editor is freezing up. That's the button next to "Deep Profile".

Next, I'm assuming that as you perform certain actions in Unity, you get a short span of non-responsiveness from Unity. That should typically be shown in the CPU Usage chart as a spike, like those three blue spikes you see currently. The recommended approach is:
    • Start profiling with "Profile Editor" and "Deep Profile" enabled.
    • Interact with Unity until you experience the editor locking up for a second or more.
    • That should hopefully show a spike in the graph. Now you need to press "Record" again to stop recording, or you'll lose that event.
    • Click on the spike, and start looking at what's taking up all the time.
    I prefer to show the result in Hierarchy view rather than Timeline view, but that's just me.

7. maxdestoyer12stu

maxdestoyer12stu

I feel you, my editor started running incredibly slowly when I started adding animations to my game although I don't think that's the issue. I'm trying out the newest release of Unity 2020 and I worked great since a random point today.

8. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Does it start lagging randomly with you too? We had to continue working with 2018 to meet the deadlines and port the whole project to 2019 once it's done so I couldn't spare any time to attend to the issue.

9. pbritton

pbritton

I am using the latest version of 2020.1 and it is painfully slow to start and it slowly becomes more and more unusable over time. Basic interactions causes the Editor to intermittently freeze and then recover. Unity has transform from an engine that was easy to use to a production nightmare.

10. IRONLIONM4N

IRONLIONM4N

I thought I was going crazy when this happened to me today. I just created custom tilesets and then tried to paint the scene and Unity basically went stone-age and practically unresponsive.