Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2019.2 get stuck a lot

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Suduckgames, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Suduckgames

Suduckgames

Hi there, I will like to report a bug with the Unity 2019 editor because it gets stuck a lot ( like 3 o 5 times every 8 hours) however, as I understand there are no repro steps to get it stuck.

Is any way to get a log of where it gets stuck or something ( like a memory footprint or log) to send a bug report? How do you report that kind of bugs?

2. Domas_L

Domas_L

Unity Technologies

Hello! You can find Editor logs here: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html

When the Editor crashes, the logs will include crash stack which makes it easier to find out what caused the crash. If the Editor freezes and stops responding, it's a bit harder to find the reason why, as the last entries in the log will be about what the engine did before freezing. I'd also recommend updating your OS and drivers, as the issue might not be directly related to the Editor.

If that still doesn't help and you'll submit a bug report, please post its case ID here.

3. Antypodish

Antypodish

@Suduckgames
    Can you post your hardware / OS specs?

4. Suduckgames

Suduckgames

Thank you very much for your reply!

The problem is with the Editor Freezing, I will try updating the drivers and if the problem still persists I will open a bug report with the editor log.

@Antypodish
    Sure, I have an Intel Core i7-8700, 32 GB of Ram, with a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080. I use windows 10 version 1809, SO version 17763.737

Antypodish and Domas_L like this.
  5. konsic

konsic

When editor gets frozen, you can no longer slide some parameter like location x or rotation in the UI.

6. sonicviz

sonicviz

I'm getting this a lot and it's really terrible development UX. Going to try out 2019.3 to see if it's any better.

7. Suduckgames

Suduckgames

Let me know if that helps so that I can consider an upgrade.

I didn't have enough time to update drivers ( I know I should and I will!)

However, I noticed that in my case the stuck happens when the code is rebuilt in the editor.

I am using Visual Studio 2017, are you having the same problem?

Can I have this problem because I am not using the new visual studio?

8. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

@Suduckgames -- Visual Studio 2019 seems better overall, upgraded recently - I was having similar issues with Unity locking up on occasion with VS 2017.

// WildStyle

9. sonicviz

sonicviz

I use Visual Studio 2019, and switching to 2019.3 beta fixed the glitches.
    Of course, now there's beta bugs to deal with (found a big one in b6 with a big name asset) but at least I can work without waiting for the editor to unlock.

10. Suduckgames

Suduckgames

@Domas_L

I have updated my drivers and visual studio to 2019. However the problem persists,

It happens at the compilation of the code. I have opened the editor log and the last lines are these

Code (CSharp):
    2. - Starting compile Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-CSharp-Editor.dll
    3. [Logcat] [WorkThread] 12:09:17.2813 D:/Progamas/SDK\platform-tools\adb.exe devices
    4. [Logcat] [WorkThread] 12:09:17.4767  List of devices attached
    5. - Finished compile Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-CSharp-Editor.dll
    6. Assets\_Suduck\Localization\Editor\LocalizationWindow.cs(16,26): warning CS0414: The field 'LocalizationWindow.defaultLanguage' is assigned but its value is never used
    7. Reloading assemblies after finishing script compilation.
    8. Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
    9. [Logcat] [MainThread]12:09:17.7769 OnDisable, Auto select: False
    10. [Logcat] [WorkThread] 12:09:17.7849 Worker thread exited
    11. [Logcat] [MainThread]12:09:17.7849 Dispatcher shutting down
    Should I open a bug report? For me, the log seems pretty straightforward ( just recompiling the code), so I don't think that with a bug report you can identify the problem. Any way I can give more information?

11. Domas_L

Domas_L

Unity Technologies

If this issue project-specific? if no, I don't think that a project would help in this case since there are no real repro steps and the Editor freezes only after a few hours of work. What you could do is attach Visual Studio debugger to the Editor and then break the execution once it freezes, and send us the callstack. This should at least give an idea which area is involved, and what could be the cause of these freezes.