Search Unity

Unity 2019.2.17f1 and Cloth STILL broken???

Discussion in 'Physics' started by mcmount, Jan 9, 2020.

1. mcmount

mcmount

I had perfectly nice working skirt with Unity 2017.3.1f1, then upgraded to 2018->2019 different versions and the cloth is broken. This is a REALLY annoying issue.

Once the weight has been painted, hit play once and after that the cloth is non editable, containing only one black sphere...indicating what? Sometimes the cloth can be edited again.

The cloth spheres disappear at certain scene cam angles, sometimes you need to re-select paint/select in order to see them. Culling is backwards, painting is nearly impossible... Like said, I have a precise copy of the project with 2017 and all is working flawlessly there.

The skirt model has been set "optimize mesh=off, mesh compression=none. The skirt has now also some strange will to spread wider, which doesn't happen with 2017. Good heavens, FIX the cloth!

Another really annoying issue is with the upgrades; all light baking data gone. I guess there is a valid reason for this? Upgrading is a pain in butt with the current method.

2. SomeGuy22

SomeGuy22

There's been a long running thread here with updates on the issue. There are several fixes for cloth painting in 2019.3.0f3, but you probably don't want to upgrade until the disappearing/performance issues are sorted out. Those have recognized by Mr. Charles Beauchemin on Twitter and he seemed to hint that the official release of 2019.3 which is planned for this month will include fixes for the issues listed on that thread. The fixes will probably also come to 2019 LTS, which may lack features from the newest version and may end up being more stable to use if you're hoping for consistency between versions. It is never recommended to upgrade past the pre-production phase of your game unless you're prepared to wait for bug fixes or manage potential issues yourself, this has always been the stance of Unity team for years now. Always keep backups of your projects before upgrading, and keep multiple versions installed on the Hub so that you can easily backtrack if you encounter issues.

3. mcmount

mcmount

Thanks for a detailed answer! Upgrading a project is something I don't do, but 2017 had serious issues with blendshape normals, this was the reason I had to to it... and ended up deeper in mud. But cloth broken almost 2 years? Also the videoplayer component has now major playback issues...

4. SomeGuy22

SomeGuy22

Cloth seemed to work fine for me in the 2018 version, and I've heard reports of it working fine in some versions of 2019 so I don't think it was two years. I only noticed it around August or so which is still pretty long, way longer than any other bug I've seen on Unity in the past 8 years or so. Except for maybe the mixed mode shadows being incomplete for most of 5.x lifecycle, however that was a production choice not a bug. Still, I know the Unity Team has been working on this cloth stuff for months now so I imagine it must be pretty tough to nail down. Can't really blame them when they're working a program this complex with so many moving parts and features that they want to get ready for the 2019.3 release. As soon as the release happens I'll test it out and update everyone on the other thread.