Search Unity

Unity 2019.2.0 and Java version

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Deleted User, Aug 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted User

Deleted User

The link https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...3.2037890828.1565165583-1601316341.1565165583 says that Unity 2019.2.0 should be installed with Java 8 as 9 and 10 is not supported. After playing around with unity 2019.2.0, 2019.1.12 and 13, i found that installing them from the hub CANNOT or doesn't enable a .apk file to be properly installed or created. I just removed java 12 and installed 8 after reinstalling 2019.2.0 and yet, I find that I cannot create a usable .apk file. Does anyone else have this problem? To worsen the situation, i changed the config from mono to il2cpp so that a 64 bit can be created but it only worsened the situation or my .apk had the same failure. What's the point of il2cpp? Is it really for 64 bit?

2. jnbbender

jnbbender

Why Java? We should be moving towards C++

3. Murgilod

Murgilod

Instead of trying to start a language pissing contest, maybe read the post? A JDK is required for Android builds.

@JulianHSC this is a bit of an odd suggestion, perhaps, but try closing the Unity Hub, opening it again as an administrator, launching Unity from there, then change and apply the settings. I've noticed that doing this has helped me with a few odd problems in 2019.2.

MadeFromPolygons and xVergilx like this.
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User

I found solutions from others in the support forum. This case has been solved. Sorry for late reply.

XthemeCore likes this.
  5. alikhanmyrzagali

alikhanmyrzagali

I use Unity 2019.2.12f1, but while trying to make an android build, error shows up, "Gradle build failed... ". What version of JDK do you use for 2019 version of Unity?

6. Ryiah

Ryiah

Always use Java 8. Java 9 and up have no support at all because Android itself has no support for them, and thanks to this being a limitation in Android this won't change with new releases of Unity.

https://developer.android.com/studio/write/java8-support

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

ok thank you. However, after many replies from you all and the others in past threads, I am now using unity 2018 lts. I wonder when java 9 will have support. I wish they could change this.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

I don't want to sound sounding nasty like in past threads with others, but your questions shows you are not up to date. C ++ is outdated. Go after python. Or check in google search. Since you can access this website, it means you got internet access so don't be lazy. Your question shows no effort to check google, which is not good.

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

10. iamthwee

iamthwee

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

12. Ryiah

Ryiah

You can choose to wait for another language to completely supplant it if you wish - though I would argue that it has already happened in video games with Lua - but there are already many solid alternatives to Python out there. Python is only truly useful in my opinion for beginners and only because a beginner shouldn't be playing with threads.

Once you step beyond the stage of being a beginner though and especially once you reach the point that single threaded computing is not adequate - and that's rapidly becoming the case as processors are no longer making leaps in single-threaded performance - the language quickly becomes far less than ideal compared to the alternatives out there.

And that's not even taking into consideration the performance penalties that would come with Python. You mentioned that C++ is outdated but in game development performance is very important and C++ is easily hundreds of times faster than Python. Using Python for game development would be like trying to enter a high speed race with a kid's tricycle.

https://benchmarksgame-team.pages.debian.net/benchmarksgame/fastest/gpp-python3.html

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  13. sxa

sxa

For game development? No. Provide evidence.
    There's a bit of hobbyist PyGame out there, and you'll sometimes find it embedded for doing the game logic, rather than the visual engine, but its hardly common.
    Where Python probably has any traction in high-end game development is almost certainly the same as in the CG industry; any usage for internal scripting of 3D packages, and back-end stuff.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
  14. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well if C++ is in fact the better option, you can ask Unity development team why java was used. Maybe they can answer you.

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well if you are right, give me time to learn. I'm not an expert. I'm just saying google gave that as information. So you can tell google they were wrong or at least the search results gave misleading information.

16. sxa

sxa

You missed the other option; your search terms may have been unsuitable or incomplete.
    If you didnt search with enough specificity you cant actually assume that a generalised result is automatically accurate within a more specific domain.

17. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

This was good advice.

Garth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.