Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2018 LTS Release Date?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AdamKane, Feb 28, 2019.

1. What do you mean exactly?
    If it's not preview, it's considered for production ready. If something is wrong with it, it's a bug and should be reported, otherwise it's stable.
    Your package manager will bring up the stable versions for the version of your Unity if such distinction exists with the given package you will see the version which is stable with your Unity version.

Zuntatos likes this.
  2. ttermeer-reboundcg

ttermeer-reboundcg

That is absolutely not true. Unity 2017.1 and 2017.2 have been riddled with game breaking bugs that appeared on various patch that were fixed in 2017.3 and took multiple months before being back ported. So no, anything but LTS is NOT production ready. It is fine to use for small projects and prototypes but for big production projects those are things we cannot allow.

I don't get how this is difficult to understand,

AcidArrow likes this.
  3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Let me help you, it's a "works for me so I don't care" kinda situation.

Ryiah and ttermeer-reboundcg like this.
  4. That is your subjective decision based on your subjective experience and frankly, I don't care about too much.

Tech releases in general considered production ready, as I mentioned if bug has been found in one, it should be considered as a bug and should be reported as such.

Production readiness has nothing to do with the time passing between bug-fix and back port, but not even if it's "bug-free" or not.

Is it too hard to understand? You may decide for yourself that a release is not good enough for your standard. But it's only for you.

Ryiah likes this.
  5. Ryiah

Ryiah

Key phrase here is "we cannot allow". Just because you approach it one way doesn't mean everyone else approaches it or should approach it that way. I'm perfectly fine on the TECH releases. If I run into a problem with the release, I bug report it and find a workaround until it has been fixed. A TECH release has never held me back.

angrypenguin likes this.
  6. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I'm not sure that I have ever used a bug free and non-trivial tool or library while making software. There are always bugs. Check out Unity's bug tracker, there's stuff in there that's years old! And that's not a situation that's unique to Unity.

The question is whether or not the version you're using can do what you need it to do. If you're forever waiting for a bug-free set of tools you're going to be waiting a looong time.

Bugs and limitations suck, I agree. But I'm not going to let them stop me getting the job done.

Lurking-Ninja and Ryiah like this.
  7. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I don't know why we're still discussing this. From Unity's own blog post:
    TL;DR; Are you releasing a game? Use LTS.

Are you starting or messing around? Use Tech.

ttermeer-reboundcg likes this.
  8. nynohu

nynohu

Last edited: May 14, 2019