Search Unity

unity 2018.3 Upgrade - Terrain Broken - Inspector tab is a duplicate?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by LootlabGames, Feb 2, 2019.

1. LootlabGames

LootlabGames

So after upgrading to 2018.3 My game no longer works.

At first my player character was floating about 60 meters higher than they should be.
    It took me a while to figure out it had something to do with the collider.
    For some reason the terrain collider is reporting something wrong.

So then I look at the terrain and I see this:
    upload_2019-2-2_8-39-32.png

I have tried everything I could think of but the message never goes away.

Do I need to upgrade this terrain using some tool or something?
    What am I missing?

Update:
    I see that it doesn't like multiple inspector windows.
    But still have a problem with the terrain collider.

Update 2:
    So I tried creating a new terrain and that works but using my existing terrain does not.
    Any way to import the old terrain into a new one?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  2. drward4

drward4

Closing all open Inspector tabs then opening a new one fixed this for me.

KKMMMMMMMM, Laith_Nazar and Wolfos like this.
  3. yourfriendninjarinplays

yourfriendninjarinplays

Guys, i Fixed It (Just ReOpen You're Project)

ourearthandbeyond likes this.
  4. snacktime

snacktime

Yep not fixed in 2019.1.2f1. Nothing so far works for me to fix it. Resetting layouts, new scenes, restarting, none of that works.

5. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

Yep not fixed- Having same problem in 2019.1.2f1 as of today. Did all above (Snacktime ) as well - Nothing works. Ouch

bowserscastle likes this.
  6. Erelos

Erelos

Same problem. I have 2019.1.2f1 also. This is a documented issue in the Issue Tracker, but it says it's fixed (supposedly fixed in 2019.2 and back-ported into 2019.1.2) and the issue is marked closed. But it is certainly NOT fixed, and I don't know how to get a known Issue like this re-opened (or if anyone can). Kinda sloppy to mark something as big a deal as this fixed when it's really not. Closing windows, resetting defaults, restarting Unity, re-importing projects, clearing the Library, deleting the terrains, making new terrains - nothing I have tried fixes it.

Wow this sucks - brand new shiny Unity full release and the terrain edit is broke *sigh

7. MagiSoftworks

MagiSoftworks

Erelos you documented my day instead of getting anything done. :) did everything you did- no go.

8. Rowlan

Rowlan

Are you guys using Vegetation Studio Pro? I've had the same problem and tracked it down to be related, could be some side effect with the latest Unity version and one of the scripts. I'm not sure, so I asked the dev to investigate. Other assets might have similar problems. If you're not using VS Pro, are you using other scripts with your terrain?

9. Erelos

Erelos

Main project where I first noticed this has Veg Studio Pro and a ton of other stuff (very large project). So after several minutes of expletives *sigh, to test it I made a clean new Unity project 2019.1.2f1 and only created a terrain and did some stuff to it. You can edit the terrain one time. If you change focus, or go back to it, or restart that project the bug shows up. I can't think of a time I used 2 inspector windows - so it actually can't just be that. It just "thinks" there is another inspector window. Oh, the Issue ID is #1117658 if anyone wants to reference it.

If I could find that inspector window I'd stomp on it good. This Unity 2019.1.2f1 Pro is NO PRO :(

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  10. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

This was my case.

11. desertGhost_

desertGhost_

The issue is definitely not resolved, but it is directly related to having either Vegetation Studio or Vegetation Studio Pro in your project. I opened a clean project in 2019.1.2f1, created a terrain, could paint on it, etc. I then imported Vegetation Studio and had the issue. Same story with Vegetation Studio Pro.

Given that Vegetation Studio / Vegetation Studio Pro have to be present for the issue to happen I don't know if the fix will have to come from Unity Technologies or Awesome Technologies. That being said someone should definitely alert Awesome Technologies of this problem.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  12. @LennartJohansen summon. :)

13. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Hi. I had a look at this. Unity added some internal test that did not validate the inspector as "itself" when extended with reflection.

I will make a workaround and update. For now delete the ExtendedTerrainEditor.cs file and things should work.

Lennart

14. Erelos

Erelos

Thanks for looking at it. Will give this a try. YAY for good support :D

15. Erelos

Erelos

And it works !! TYVM LennartJohanse

16. unicat

unicat

Having this error too, but without Vegetation Studio (or pro) imported. In Unity 2019.1.3f1. :(

bowserscastle likes this.
  17. Shovelface

Shovelface

I have the same issue without vegetation studio.

What I found that works for me in build 2018.3.11f1 is to select a different layout in the top right corner of the Editor and then to go back to my preferred layout.
    a) Save your current layout as you prefer it.
    b) Select one of the default layouts example 2 by 3 or 4 split.
    c) Select your saved layout again and the Terrain paint tool is available again.

In the future we just have to repeat step b and c, which is just 2 clicks but still a pain that we have to use solutions like this and a fix would be appreciated in 2018 builds.

bowserscastle and dsouzamatt like this.
  18. AndreasO

AndreasO

I ran into this error, too, with 2018.4.3f1.

EDIT:
    So, I checked the mentioned script
    Code (csharp):
    1. ExtendedTerrainEditor.cs
    that we should delete. I'm using VS Pro 1.2.0 and it looks like the fix Lennart applied was just to exclude the whole class file like this:

Code (csharp):
    1. #if UNITY_2019_1_OR_NEWER
    2. #else
    3. ...original code
    4. #endif
    Well, that's one way to do it. So I modified it to also make it work with my current version 2018.4.3f1 instead of just deleting the file

Code (csharp):
    1. #if UNITY_2018_4_OR_NEWER
    2. #else
    3. ...original code
    4. #endif
    @LennartJohansen Please update this for when you release an update. Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    nirvanajie likes this.
  19. FarazMobinDP

FarazMobinDP

the problem after deleting the ExtendedTerrainEditor.cs, the vegitation studio doesn't update vegetation when painting texture layers, you have to check/uncheck the "Load Terrain Details" tab in vegetation system to refresh it

also i am not able to see the terrain brush stamp preview, so i cant tell where i am painting. i am using the 2018.4.5f1

20. FungusMonkey

FungusMonkey

I simply changed from normal to debug mode and then back again. This was just for the duplicate inspector window issue which is quite annoying. Fixed.

21. ourearthandbeyond

ourearthandbeyond

Worked for me also :D

22. toddw

toddw

For the sake of saving someone else from wasting two days worth of troubleshooting this instead of doing something useful with their time...

I had this issue too and none of the above resolved the problem for me. I had recently upgraded from 2018.20f1 to 2019.217f1 and nothing I could find in the forums resolved this problem.

After several days of going through my huge project deleting / re-adding folders and waiting forever for Unity to re import assets, I discovered that the bug finally went away when I deleted my Vegetation Studio folder.

I went to my assets and there it was in in the latest release notes:
    "Version: 1.5.2.0 • Sep 7, 2019
    Fixes -Billboard now work in Unity 2019.2+ -Fix for terrain inspector"

23. MathewHI

MathewHI

I don't have vegetation pro, I think mine is a duplicate Inspector tab but I can't find it. How do I switch to debug mode?

24. MathewHI

MathewHI

Actually I just found out how to switch to debug mode but it didn't work.

25. FargleBargle

FargleBargle

I never had this error in 2018, but get it all the time in 2019.2.6. I've recently added Vegetation Studio to my test project, but it was happening even before that. There's only one inspector tab open for my terrain, so I don't see how it could be a duplicate, but if I have the terrain selected, and hit Play with Maximize On Play selected, the error shows as soon as I return to the Editor. It's not a huge problem in my case, since I can make it go away by selecting something else in the hierarchy, and then re-selecting the terrain, but it's still really annoying. I tried updating to 2019.2.17, in the hope that it might have been fixed somewhere in between, but it still happens there as well. Between this and constant "Invalid editor window" errors, I'm not very impressed with Unity 2019. Here's hoping 2020 will be better.

26. Darkgaze

Darkgaze

Deleting Vegetation Studio Pro folder and restarting the project fixed it. I also resetted layout settings to factory settings, but not sure if that fixed it.

27. Darkgaze

Darkgaze

Version released on september 2019 fixes de problem, apparently. Check it out on the official page:

upload_2020-2-3_12-8-31.png

28. ajinkyad13

ajinkyad13

Mine was fixed by removing the Terrain Component and then undoing it (Ctrl+Z).

29. bowserscastle

bowserscastle

I'm not using Vegetation Studio Pro and see the issue with Unity 2019.2.12f1.
    I've attempted all the above fixes and the only thing that worked was changing the Editor layout back to Default.
    Happy to send along the code to any Unity Engineers if it would be helpful.