Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 beta is now available.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're looking for insight from anyone who has experience with game testing to help us better Unity. Take our survey here. If chosen to participate you'll be entered into a sweepstake to win an Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2018.3 is now available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by LeonhardP, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Zaine7673

Zaine7673

I've managed to get it working but i still get the remote settings errors in the console. quite a few of them. everything is working as expected but i dont like to see errors in the console. might be my OCD :)

2. jo82

jo82

Hi there,

In Unity 2018.3, the box collider at the base of my character (which has a Rigidbody using gravity and moving with "transform.position += ...;"
    needs to have a size.y of at least 0.36 to be able to move on a terrain collider without going through it. Even with a size.y of "0.36" I'm not even sure if that's stable enough to avoid futur glitches of the same kind.

In Unity 2018.2 and past versions
    I always had a box collider with a size.y of "0.08" and it never went through any terrain colliders whatsoever.

I tried increasing default contact offset but it has no effect.

From a size.y of "0.08" to a size.y of "0.36" I'll have to make a lot of displacement of children gameobjects which also act as supplementary detections of walls and grounds of all kinds,
    so I would like to know if there is a reason for a sudden change from version 2018.2 to 2018.3 regarding this.

Thanks

3. Peter77

Peter77

Unity Technologies upgraded the underlying physics system in 2018.3.

If it works in 2018.2 but stops working in 2018.3, you probably found a regression. In this case, could you please submit a bug-report, including a project to reproduce the issue, as described in this document:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

Submitting a bug-report allows Unity Technologies to take a look at this issue.

After you submitted the bug-report, you receive a confirmation email with a bug-report Case number. You can post this Case number (the number only, not the link) in this forum thread for Unity staff to pick up, in case they see it.

4. RadioactiveXP

RadioactiveXP

Thanks!

When are you going to address the Asset store issue, I am still having trouble even downloading my 3000+ assets, with little or not response from the support ticket I opened... why am I paying again?

Socrates likes this.
  5. snacktime

snacktime

We just keep hitting major bugs in 2018.3 related to the new prefab system. We have had to redesign runtime asset loading due to prefab system bugs, reverting to using Resource folders. IL2CPP builds crash as a result of asset files not created correctly that can be tied directly back to prefabs referenced in a specific way.

There seems to be this attitude at Unity that once beta's get to a point there is tremendous pressure to release them. That didn't end well for some of us this time around. We will deal with it of course but I'd like to see Unity more willing to keep stuff in beta until it's really ready, even if it takes longer then normal.

Shorely likes this.
  6. Peter77

Peter77

Do you know if bugs were reported for these issues? I did a search on the public issue tracker, but didn't seem to find any open ticket that is related.

7. snacktime

snacktime

One of them is well known it's the null references to prefabs issue that occurs in a few context's. The other I posted but just haven't had the time to make a repro yet.

8. John3D

John3D

I like the Nested Prefabs and the terrain updates!
    Thanks Unity!

9. snacktime

snacktime

Also not happy about the new terrain layers api. The layers system there is no documentation for what the abstractions are there at the api level. The method names are like wtf so those don't give any clue. No code examples.

And the old system wasn't just deprecated it was obsoleted. Judging by the terrain assets I own taking forever to convert to the new system, I think most are finding this a real pain.

You should have just deprecated splat prototypes and added a migration path. That would have helped a lot of people I think. I knew stuff was going to break, but I wrongly assumed there would be some migration info not just here it is figure it out yourself.

10. bily96king

bily96king

Great! Downloading now. Can't wait to dive into the new features.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  11. aubergine

aubergine

I have hundreds of prefabs and no way to batch change static states except opening every prefab one by one and changing by hand.

12. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

13. Baste

Baste

We're unable to use 2018.3 due to a crash bug introduced in 2018.3. It was marked as a duplicate of this one. It's apparently fixed in the 2019.1 beta, but not in 2018.3.

Anyone from Unity have an idea of when it'll be backported to 2018.3? The bug causes the editor to crash every second time we enter playmode, which is obviously not something we can work with.

14. tamirhusain

tamirhusain

Is there any schedule or idea of when Unity 2018 will go into the LTS releases?

15. Peter77

Peter77

16. tamirhusain

tamirhusain

17. RKSW

RKSW

Upon opening Unity 2018.3.5f1, I hit 95 errors of the type
    Library/PackageCache/com.unity.postprocessing@2.0.15-preview/PostProcessing/Runtime/Effects/Grain.cs(7,33): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `PostProcessEffectSettings' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

The messages varied in target file and line/char nos. Clearly, none of them was in my code.

How do I resolve the errors?

18. spacefrog

spacefrog

Using 2018.3 ( Version 2018.5F1 ), i have a pretty hefty performance drop on a relative simple ( read: not graphically taxing ) 360° Panoviewer-Application on iOS/iPad ( 2017 model). Framerate drops from steady 60fps to sometimes down to 35-40fps, after rotating the camera via swipe, it goes back to 60fps again for a short while. With Unity 2018.2 and earlier builds of the same project achieve a steady 60fps on the same iPad.
    Additionally, an old iPhone 5s achieves the 60fps too, even when built using 2018.3 . Maybe problem with the iPads retina/high resolution ? Already tried to disable Metal, but no luck
    Back to Unity 2018.2 and performance is fine again, so there is something odd going on with 2018.3 's iOS performance...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 8:45 AM
  19. Peter77

Peter77

If it's fast in 2018.2 and slow in 2018.3, then you probably found a regression.

In this case, could you please submit a bug-report, including a project to reproduce the issue, as described in this document:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

Submitting a bug-report allows Unity Technologies to take a look at this issue.

After you submitted the bug-report, you receive a confirmation email with a bug-report Case number. You can post this Case number (the number only, not the link) in this forum thread for Unity staff to pick up, in case they see it.

20. spacefrog

spacefrog

Will do so as time allows and i find the time.
    First i'll take a look at the profiler on the Mac side ...

Lathrey likes this.
  21. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

22. superpig

superpig

Quis aedificabit ipsos aedificatores? Unity Technologies

aurelien-morel-ubiant likes this.