Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity 2018.3 is now available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by LeonhardP, Dec 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jo82

jo82

Hi there,

In Unity 2018.3, the box collider at the base of my character (which has a Rigidbody using gravity and moving with "transform.position += ...;"
    needs to have a size.y of at least 0.36 to be able to move on a terrain collider without going through it. Even with a size.y of "0.36" I'm not even sure if that's stable enough to avoid futur glitches of the same kind.

In Unity 2018.2 and past versions
    I always had a box collider with a size.y of "0.08" and it never went through any terrain colliders whatsoever.

I tried increasing default contact offset but it has no effect.

From a size.y of "0.08" to a size.y of "0.36" I'll have to make a lot of displacement of children gameobjects which also act as supplementary detections of walls and grounds of all kinds,
    so I would like to know if there is a reason for a sudden change from version 2018.2 to 2018.3 regarding this.

Thanks

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Unity Technologies upgraded the underlying physics system in 2018.3.

If it works in 2018.2 but stops working in 2018.3, you probably found a regression. In this case, could you please submit a bug-report, including a project to reproduce the issue, as described in this document:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

Submitting a bug-report allows Unity Technologies to take a look at this issue.

After you submitted the bug-report, you receive a confirmation email with a bug-report Case number. You can post this Case number (the number only, not the link) in this forum thread for Unity staff to pick up, in case they see it.

3. RadioactiveXP

RadioactiveXP

Thanks!

When are you going to address the Asset store issue, I am still having trouble even downloading my 3000+ assets, with little or not response from the support ticket I opened... why am I paying again?

Socrates likes this.
  4. snacktime

snacktime

We just keep hitting major bugs in 2018.3 related to the new prefab system. We have had to redesign runtime asset loading due to prefab system bugs, reverting to using Resource folders. IL2CPP builds crash as a result of asset files not created correctly that can be tied directly back to prefabs referenced in a specific way.

There seems to be this attitude at Unity that once beta's get to a point there is tremendous pressure to release them. That didn't end well for some of us this time around. We will deal with it of course but I'd like to see Unity more willing to keep stuff in beta until it's really ready, even if it takes longer then normal.

Shorely likes this.
  5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Do you know if bugs were reported for these issues? I did a search on the public issue tracker, but didn't seem to find any open ticket that is related.

6. snacktime

snacktime

One of them is well known it's the null references to prefabs issue that occurs in a few context's. The other I posted but just haven't had the time to make a repro yet.

7. John3D

John3D

I like the Nested Prefabs and the terrain updates!
    Thanks Unity!

8. snacktime

snacktime

Also not happy about the new terrain layers api. The layers system there is no documentation for what the abstractions are there at the api level. The method names are like wtf so those don't give any clue. No code examples.

And the old system wasn't just deprecated it was obsoleted. Judging by the terrain assets I own taking forever to convert to the new system, I think most are finding this a real pain.

You should have just deprecated splat prototypes and added a migration path. That would have helped a lot of people I think. I knew stuff was going to break, but I wrongly assumed there would be some migration info not just here it is figure it out yourself.

9. aubergine

aubergine

I have hundreds of prefabs and no way to batch change static states except opening every prefab one by one and changing by hand.

10. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

11. Baste

Baste

We're unable to use 2018.3 due to a crash bug introduced in 2018.3. It was marked as a duplicate of this one. It's apparently fixed in the 2019.1 beta, but not in 2018.3.

Anyone from Unity have an idea of when it'll be backported to 2018.3? The bug causes the editor to crash every second time we enter playmode, which is obviously not something we can work with.

12. tamirhusain

tamirhusain

Is there any schedule or idea of when Unity 2018 will go into the LTS releases?

13. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

SnickersBar likes this.
  14. tamirhusain

tamirhusain

15. RKSW

RKSW

Upon opening Unity 2018.3.5f1, I hit 95 errors of the type
    Library/PackageCache/com.unity.postprocessing@2.0.15-preview/PostProcessing/Runtime/Effects/Grain.cs(7,33): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `PostProcessEffectSettings' could not be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

The messages varied in target file and line/char nos. Clearly, none of them was in my code.

How do I resolve the errors?

16. spacefrog

spacefrog

Using 2018.3 ( Version 2018.5F1 ), i have a pretty hefty performance drop on a relative simple ( read: not graphically taxing ) 360° Panoviewer-Application on iOS/iPad ( 2017 model). Framerate drops from steady 60fps to sometimes down to 35-40fps, after rotating the camera via swipe, it goes back to 60fps again for a short while. With Unity 2018.2 and earlier builds of the same project achieve a steady 60fps on the same iPad.
    Additionally, an old iPhone 5s achieves the 60fps too, even when built using 2018.3 . Maybe problem with the iPads retina/high resolution ? Already tried to disable Metal, but no luck
    Back to Unity 2018.2 and performance is fine again, so there is something odd going on with 2018.3 's iOS performance...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  17. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

If it's fast in 2018.2 and slow in 2018.3, then you probably found a regression.

In this case, could you please submit a bug-report, including a project to reproduce the issue, as described in this document:

Submitting a bug-report allows Unity Technologies to take a look at this issue.

After you submitted the bug-report, you receive a confirmation email with a bug-report Case number. You can post this Case number (the number only, not the link) in this forum thread for Unity staff to pick up, in case they see it.

18. spacefrog

spacefrog

Will do so as time allows and i find the time.
    First i'll take a look at the profiler on the Mac side ...

Lathrey likes this.
  19. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

20. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

aurelien-morel-ubiant likes this.
  21. Stexe

Stexe

Just checking about 2018.3.7 ... haven't heard anything and 2018.3.5 is still the main download even though 2018.3.6 is out.

Are you officially moving on to 2019.1 now or what? Just seems weird to have radio silence about this and no information.

Immu likes this.
  22. superpig

superpig

I see 2018.3.6 at the top of the list in the Hub, but it looks like the version of Unity offered to new users coming in through the 'Get Unity' link on the website are still being offered 2018.3.5 as you say. Something must have failed in the publish pipeline, I'll notify the release management team. Thanks for the report!

2018.3.7 was planned for last Friday, but a shipstopping issue was found by release QA, so that's being fixed. Currently we're expecting it to drop sometime in the middle of this coming week.

Stexe likes this.
  23. Stexe

Stexe

Gotcha. Wish they said something or posted something... we were all going to upgrade to 2018.3.7 over the weekend but then were completely confused over what happened and it delayed production by a day.

24. Baste

Baste

Any chance on getting 1117664/1120492's fix backported soon? We haven't been able to use a single version of 2018.3 since the early beta due to the editor crashing 100% reliably by entering playmode twice. We're getting a bit frustrated - especially since the fix landed in 2019.1 quite a while ago.

I was kinda hoping that crashes were shipstopping issues.

25. superpig

superpig

It is en route. Unfortunately it's been held up by a combination of key people being on vacation and some disagreement over what level of regression testing for the issue is necessary. I've given the SE team a ping about it to see if it can be sped up.

It depends on the crash.

Baste likes this.
  26. Deleted User

Deleted User

@gabrielw_unity

Please, could you bring back the C# icon for the game manager script? The way it looks like now is more confusing than anything else.

Thank you.

Capture.JPG

27. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

28. Deleted User

Deleted User

29. pocketpair

pocketpair

Attached Files:

30. pocketpair

pocketpair

In the comment on the issue board, other guys said same things.

SUPPLETEETSFEB 14, 2019 21:51
    Please fix for 2018.3! This is bumming me out for Quest development :(

TRIBIOJAN 28, 2019 12:43
    That's not professional! Fix this issue on the 2018.3, please!

NIELES_GHDEC 20, 2018 13:54
    I also can't wait until the 2019.1 release can this please be fixed in the next update on 2018.3?

SMARAGGIDEC 18, 2018 18:35
    Hi, I see it no longer happens in 2019.1

¿Can it be fixed before 2019.1 is released? If not, when is 2019.1 going to be released?

It is important to me, in case GPU skinning enhances performance, as I am making a graphics demanding VR cardboard application.

31. superpig

superpig

32. MasoInar

MasoInar

Can confirm. It's fixed at least on my case (I sent the original bug report)

33. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Is there an ETA for when 2018.3.7 is going to be released?

It has been more than two weeks since .6 was released, so the normal schedule is out of the window.

34. pocketpair

pocketpair

Wow, thank you for your quick reply.
    I'll check it. I read patch note but I didn't find it so I thought it still wasn't fixed. Which one?
    https://unity3d.com/jp/unity/whats-new/2018.3.6

35. aurelien-morel-ubiant

aurelien-morel-ubiant

36. snacktime

snacktime

So 2018.3.7 is throwing a ReflectionTypeLoadException exception on this code. Guessing reflection had something to do with the security bug?

Code (csharp):
    2. AppDomain.CurrentDomain.GetAssemblies().SelectMany(x => x.GetTypes())

37. snacktime

snacktime

So the specific assembly it's failing on is Accessibility

38. snacktime

snacktime

This bug also showed up in the Entities package as a warning. The ddll does exist on disk.

DefaultWorldInitialization failed loading assembly: C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor\2018.3.7f1\Editor\Data\MonoBleedingEdge\lib\mono\unityjit\Accessibility.dll
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    Unity.Debug:LogWarning(Object) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.0.12-preview.21/Unity.Entities/Stubs/Unity/Debug.cs:15)
    Unity.Entities.DefaultWorldInitialization:Initialize(String, Boolean) (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.0.12-preview.21/Unity.Entities.Hybrid/Injection/DefaultWorldInitialization.cs:53)
    Unity.Entities.AutomaticWorldBootstrap:Initialize() (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.entities@0.0.12-preview.21/Unity.Entities.Hybrid/Injection/AutomaticWorldBootstrap.cs:11)

39. pocketpair

pocketpair

Actually the problem is not fixed yet on 2018.3.6
    I will wait 2019.1f1.

40. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Did you submit a new bug-report, as superpig wrote?
    It's important that you report these issues together with a reproduction project if you want them to get fixed. If you don't do it, it might be a long time until someone else reports them or until Unity Technologies find them.

Please post your bug-report case number (number only, not the link) in this thread for Unity staff to pick up.

41. lmarch88

lmarch88

[QUOTE = "APSchmidt, post: 3992923, miembro: 1162718"] ¡Ni siquiera tuve tiempo para lanzar 2018.3.0f1! :RE[/CITAR]

Hola, quería preguntarle si sabe en qué fecha unity unity pro pro 3D, ¿la licencia dejó de ser perpetua?

42. lmarch88

lmarch88

[QUOTE = "sunrisebacon, post: 3993055, miembro: 1449322"] ¡Genial! Descargando ahora. No puedo esperar para sumergirme en las nuevas características.

¡Gracias por todo el trabajo duro! [/ QUOTE]

Hola, quería preguntarle si sabe en qué fecha unity unity pro pro 3D, ¿la licencia dejó de ser perpetua?

43. Deleted User

Deleted User

@superpig How do you quit the play mode when there are compiler errors? Clicking on the play arrow did that in previous versions; it no long does in 2018.3.

Edit: Unity 2018.3.11f1 has just been released; hopefully the problem has been fixed in that version.

Sans-titre-1.jpg

44. superpig

superpig

What do you mean? In your screenshot it looks like you cannot enter play mode, not quit it? It's always been the case that you cannot enter play mode when you have compiler errors.

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

The scene is in play mod; ti's highlighted blue. In previous versions, the blue colour was not there. It just didn't entered play mode and that was it.

46. superpig

superpig

The play button itself is not blue, though, so it doesn't look like you're in play mode to me. Maybe it's just the tint itself which is behaving strangely?

47. Deleted User

Deleted User

I hope so; it's awfully confusing.

Did you try recreating the problem? Changing the tint and use play mode in a project that has faulty scripts?

48. superpig

superpig

Ah, I see the behaviour too. It looks like the tint gets applied before the Editor realises that there are compilation errors, and then not reverted. I'll file a bug...

Deleted User likes this.
  49. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks! :)

This behaviour is also in the newest version, 2018.3.11f1.

50. toberr

toberr

I apologize that I am everywhere with this issue, but please understand this is very important to me. And I really do not understand why this is not important for everyone who released the application on 2018.3. Because it affects all applications with any advertising or in-app purchases.

In which version 2018.3 you plan to fix these failures https://forum.unity.com/threads/cra...018-3-when-use-androidjavaproxy-class.627637/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.