Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Enter the 2020.2 Beta Sweepstakes for a chance to win an Oculus Quest 2.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2018.3 b7 - remaping materials during multimaterial FBX file import results in crash

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by ivank, Oct 30, 2018.

1. ivank

ivank

Hello, after upgrading to 2018.3.b7(Win10, LWRP) I have discovered the following strange behavior/bug:
    When importing fbx file containing more materials (tested with 3) and trying to remap the materials shown in Import Settings to those already existing in Materials folder:
    - First material remaps ok
    - When second material from Materials folder is dropped into the appropriate material slot in Inspector/Material Import Settings, Import mode deliberately changes - the toggle "Import Materials" gets unselected
    - When trying to toggle "Import Materials" on again, either nothing happens or - mostly - crash follows.
    All materials are "default" LWRP, just various colors to make visual difference.

Exact procedure described in attached picture.
    The b3, which I used before upgrading to b7, worked quite ok in this regard.

I wander if anybody has (had?:) ) run into similar problem? The bug makes any serious work with b7 almost impossible. Your experience/comment would be welcomed

Regards
    IvanK

Attached Files:

Tesrym and Rallix like this.
  2. Foriero

Foriero

Can confirm similar issues with fbx imports.

ivank likes this.
  3. Rallix

Rallix

Yeah, this happens to me as well.
    One material remap is OK, trying to add a second one results in a crash.

In the meantime, until a fix is available, editing the model's meta file directly seems to work if you need to access the settings somehow.

ivank likes this.
  4. Tesrym

Tesrym

Same problem.
    Can also confirm that we can only remap a maximum of 1 material.
    I uploaded my project as a bug report, but then I found this thread.
    Beta 8.

5. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Did anybody submitted a bug-report for this problem? If so, please post the bug-report ID for Unity staff to pick up.

If no bug-report was submitted, I guess Unity Technologies isn't spending much time on issues they don't have a report and project to reproduce the issue and test their fix against.

https://unity3d.com/unity/beta/guide-to-beta-testing#tab-3

6. ivank

ivank

Yes bug report No 1095663

Rallix and Peter77 like this.
  7. Tesrym

Tesrym

Mine is 1096609.
    I would like to follow up, but this website "Fogbugz" requires a paid account to log in?
    Im not even sure Unity is using this website anymore, I have an open case from 2014 why arent they closing it?

Peter77 likes this.
  8. Rallix

Rallix

As far as I know, Fogbugz is their 'internal' bug tracking site – you can't browse through the bug reports of others unless they give you the direct link. If Unity decides it's an issue worth investigating, a public report is (usually) created and you're sent the Issue Tracker link.

I just had a bug report about which I didn't hear since summer closed without an e-mail notification; so they do go back to close cases. But 2014 is a long time ago and from this ancient article it seems like they were unable to respond to even a fraction of the reports back then, let alone go back and close them.

9. ivank

ivank

Hello, just to inform all of you concerned citizens of this thread - my bug report No.1095663 dealing with above discussed issue appears now to have the status "closed" - whatever it means :)

No message about the conclusion/result received yet (?)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  10. unity_hNRcQEipgy_Kfg

unity_hNRcQEipgy_Kfg

Hello, It seems that our bugs are similar, every change that is "multiple" results in a crash for me.
    Case 1097929 and case 1097932

You can workaround by editing the meta file with a text editor

11. Tesrym

Tesrym

Beta 9 is out. Still no mentions in the changelogs.

ivank likes this.
  12. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

This is fixed in b10.

unityunity