Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2018.3.0f2 Unsure if Java JDK is needed to run Android SDK Manager

Discussion in 'Android' started by soft_sound, Jan 5, 2019.

1. soft_sound

soft_sound

So I'm looking through the manual for 2018.3. I am using 2018.3.0f2.

I see here that "By default, Unity installs a Java Development Kit based on OpenJDK."

And I see that in the directions it never mentions to install any Java related stuff.

Though in 2019.1 it recommends to install Java first thing. So does it no longer have the bundle in 2019.1 or do I need to install the java JDK?

---

Am I missing a step? The reason I bring this up is I'm trying to use the Android SDK Manager through the command line but I'm getting java naming errors.

This is the error I get when I try to run the manager through the command line. I had been using

Code (CSharp):
    1. sdkmanager.bat -list
    (I know it's not really csharp but I thought I should format that line some way)

ERROR: JAVA_HOME is not set and no 'java' command could be found in your PATH.

Please set the JAVA_HOME variable in your environment to match the
    location of your Java installation.

Now if Java is included in the bundle I'd like to reference that as my home variable I believe, but I'm not sure if I need to install Java since I thought it was bundled with the package.

I believe I downloaded the latest version of the sdk which should be 26.1.1 I'm not sure if that is a factor but I added it in case it was. (Like my version didn't come with OpenJDK or somthing).

Anyway just wanted to see if I could find out what I've been doing wrong.

Happy to post more info as needed.

(I would have tagged this under Unity 2018.3, Java JDK, and Android Install, Java_Home but I guess they keep being flagged as new tags so I just won't tag it.)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  2. soft_sound

soft_sound

Solved by installing Java JDK.

I recommend that 2018.3's manual share similar formatting to 2019.1 and recommend you install the Java JDK first.

That should be step 1. Is there a place I can recommend to update the manual?

3. Jokerminator

Jokerminator

Same here.

When I install Unity 2018.3 ( without Unity Hub ) with Android build support the PATH and JAVA_HOME variables are not set automatically for the build-in OpenJDK. And there is not documentation where these folders (values) are located.

Should be fixed for the LTS-versions...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019