Search Unity

Unity 2018.3.0f2 crashes

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by no00ob, Dec 17, 2018.

1. no00ob

no00ob

I have had this same project since unity 5 and have kept updating unity and the project whenever something big comes out with new version. However now it seems like this is the end and I can't go higher than unity 2018.2. When I tried the 2018.3 beta I started experiencing a continuous crash during startup after the editor loads, basically it just loads the editor normally then just before it shows anything in the scene and game view window the editor just crashes. I looked at the error files and causes, googled a bit and found out it is (most likely) my scene doing it. I just manually went and reset the scene which the editor loads and voila it worked without a crash. I was first afraid it would just crash after I open the scene which caused a crash at startup but surprisingly it didn't crash and I found out that for some reason the editor crashes if it has to load that scene during startup. I thought that no worries I'll just exit the editor while in another scene, and it worked flawlessly.

Now that the 2018.3 was fully released I tried opening that same project with it but this time no matter what I do it crashes not even changing the scene helps, as it does load the editor but if I try to load that one certain scene the editor just crashes. I'm so done with this crashing so please if you have any idea what could be causing this please help! As otherwise I may move to another project and just abandon this or change engine (Which I wouldn't like to do btw)

Edit: Issue has been researched more. It is the scene it is too heavy for the editor to load I have to first load a scene with half of the assets of the main scene in order to be able to load the main scene without a crash, still would appreciate help if this can be solved some how.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Have you filled a bug report?

3. no00ob

no00ob

Yes I have but I'm not sure did it get sent actually...

4. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

I dont know ;)
    Did you get a bug id from the automated email when you submitted the bug?
    I can also search for your email address if you DM me it

5. no00ob

no00ob

I don't remember seeing an email, so I'll be sure to try resend it.

karl_jones likes this.
  6. PNUMIA-Rob

PNUMIA-Rob

I just ran into this problem this week and have been beating my head against my desk over it, finally I ran across the following thread https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-2018-3-0b3-crash-by-instancing-rendering-code.559726/ which lead me to suspect Material GPU Instancing. After disabling GPU Instancing on all in-use materials I am happy to report that I am no longer experiencing the Access Violation crash.

I hope this helps someone out there. :)

7. no00ob

no00ob

Hmm... Interesting I will be sure to try this, as this is still happening to me but after I updated my ram on christmas it seems to not occur sometimes which is weird but still happens 2/3 of the times I open the project.