Search Unity

Official Unity 2018.2 is now available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jacob_Unity, Jul 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacob_Unity

Jacob_Unity

Administrator

Unity 2018.2 is now available on the download page.

Read the blog post for full details.

Scriptable Render Pipeline (SRP) improvements
    • SRP batcher
    • Scriptable shader variants stripping
    • Lightweight Render Pipeline
    • High Definition Render Pipeline (Preview)
    Progressive Lightmapper
    • Configurable baked light falloff
    • Instanced albedo and emissives for precomputed lighting
    • Additive scene lighting warnings
    Shader Graph (Preview)
    • High Definition Render Pipeline (HDRP) support
    • Vertex position
    • Master node settings
    • Property reference names and exposed state
    • Editable paths for graphs
    • Is Front Face node
    • Gradient nodes
    • Texture3D and Texture2D Array
    • Texture 2D LOD node
    • Show Generated Code
    Vulkan support for Editor on Windows and Linux (experimental)
    Texture Mipmap Streaming
    C# Animation Jobs
    Particle System improvements

2D
    • Pixel Perfect Camera (Preview package)
    • 2D Sprite Renderer Sort by Pivot Point
    • 2D Hexagonal Tilemaps
    • SVG Importer (Preview package)
    • New 2D APIs
    Editor - General
    • Support for using .java and .cpp source files as plugins in a Unity project
    • Standard Assets depreciation
    • Unity Hub
    Cinematics
    • Camera Physical Properties
    • Recorder 1.0
    Core Engine
    • Removal of the old RakNet-based networking feature
    • Addressable Asset System (Preview)
    • High-DPI monitor support
    C# Job System, Entity Component System and Burst Compiler
    • Entity Component System (ECS)
    • Burst Compiler
    IL2CPP-Managed Debugger
    Scripting runtime improvements in Unity 2018.2
    ARM64-bit support for Android
    APK splitting by architecture
    Google Play Instant Games Plugin
    C# Platform Certificate Store Synchronization
    End of support for UnityScript
    Visual Studio Code Debugger Extension

XR
    • HoloLens Holographic Remoting
    Remember to back up your projects before downloading the latest version of Unity. If you encounter any issues, please let us know by submitting a bug report so it can reach our developers. Future patch releases for fixes will be found here.

Thanks again to all the users who helped with testing and giving us feedback on 2018.2 while it was in beta! Notice that we’ve locked the 2018.2 beta forum, so please create your new threads in the appropriate sections of the Forum.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    rakkarage, ikisarov, Rennan24 and 3 others like this.
  2. ikisarov

ikisarov

Hello!
    I ran into a problem. Unity 2018.2, working with a laptop, has stopped correctly scaling the editor's interface, now I have all the items increased, because of this it is not convenient to work. In previous versions, everything was fine. Is it possible to somehow adapt the interface manually?

3. JesOb

JesOb

I have a bug

.../Unity/cache/packages/packages.unity.com/com.unity.postprocessing@2.0.7-preview/PostProcessing/Runtime/PostProcessLayer.cs(9,39): error CS1070: The type `UnityEngine.XR.XRSettings' has been forwarded to an assembly that is not referenced. Enable the built in package 'VR' in the Package Manager window to fix this error.

First: I dont install postprocessin into project so it is bug by itself
    Second: PostProcess must not have dependency over vr module so it is bug too
    Third: It must be not possible to disable package that other packages depend upon
    Fourth: Unity 2018.2 bug reporter dont opens so I can not report this bug in correct way.

4. Rennan24

Rennan24

Here's to another Unity Release! :D Thank you guys for all your hard work at making this one of the best engines out there. There's still some bugs and problems to fix, but I can't wait for the newer versions of Unity to come and some of the new features, such as ECS, Nested Prefabs, Burst, and many more!

rakkarage likes this.
  5. SevenPointRed

SevenPointRed

The new processing for PSDs makes everything look awful.
    Please make the removal of the "white matte" optional on the importer.

Rennan24 likes this.
  6. hurleybird

hurleybird

I've found a bit of an issue with this release.

Seems like it adds the TMPro package when upgrading a project.

But this creates issues when a project already has the paid version of TMPro, which is incompatible with the package IIRC (otherwise I would have switched to the package long ago, since the paid version is a constant headache when it comes to moving to newer version of Unity). Having both versions creates compile errors as one would expect.

Which shouldn't be a big deal. One might think that you could just open up the package manager and remove the TMPro package. One would be wrong. Initial compile errors seemingly need to be resolved before the package manager becomes visible. Since packages can cause compile errors, this seems like a generally unwise implementation.

Tried manually editing packages/manifest.json to remove TMPro package, but that didn't work either. I'll try removing the paid version, then the package, then placing the paid version again... and hopefully that should work... but in general the package manager should always be available to avoid scenarios like this.

EDIT: Correction, manually editing packages/manifest.json works.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  7. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

I started getting this error and the game just crashes without proper errors:

07-10 20:09:40.970 15588 15607 W google-breakpad: ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
    07-10 20:09:40.970 15588 15607 W google-breakpad: Chrome build fingerprint:
    07-10 20:09:40.970 15588 15607 W google-breakpad: 67.0.3396.87
    07-10 20:09:40.970 15588 15607 W google-breakpad: 339608700
    07-10 20:09:40.970 15588 15607 W google-breakpad: ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ### ###
    07-10 20:09:40.981 15588 15607 E CRASH : signal 11 (SIGSEGV), code 1 (SEGV_MAPERR), fault addr 00000000
    07-10 20:09:40.981 15588 15607 E CRASH : *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
    07-10 20:09:40.981 15588 15607 E CRASH : Build fingerprint: 'lge/lv1_crk_us/lv1:6.0.1/MXB48T/170121646eb68:user/release-keys'
    07-10 20:09:40.981 15588 15607 E CRASH : Revision: '0'

8. SevenPointRed

SevenPointRed

Remove it from the cache, its somewhere in c:/users/bob/appdata/local etc, i cant remember where but i had this issue and had to manually remove it.

9. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

10. SpencerPDX

SpencerPDX

In the beta version of this release I was able to use the Package Manager to remove the new version of TMPro so as to not conflict with my old one, and I believe that Package Manager was available under the Windows menu. I am not seeing it there now. Unity: Has the Package Manager been removed, or is it located somewhere different?

In the meantime @hurleybird I'll try editing manifest.json, and thanks for the suggestion.

11. MythrilMan51

MythrilMan51

upload_2018-7-11_20-23-28.png
    Any suggestions?

12. SevenPointRed

SevenPointRed

13. SpencerPDX

SpencerPDX

Forgot to look into it, wasn't expecting it, but after updating I happened to hit the spacebar to start a Timeline playing, and what do I hear? Audio track preview!

THANK YOU. So helpful.

14. hurleybird

hurleybird

My experience is that preview 12 of the IncrementalCompiler package just doesn't work on 2018.2.0, so I'm guessing that's your issue. Because of the "Can't open package manager before compile errors are resolved" oversight, you'll need to edit package/manifest.json manually. Either to point to a different version of the IncrementalCompiler, or just remove the reference to it and load a different version via the Package Manager if you want. Preview 11 seems to work fine for me.

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

Maybe you’ve resolve this already, but I’ve found with a couple of projects after upgrading to 2018.2 that the Package Manager was missing from the Windows menu if there was a compiler error (in my case specifically code that depended on the legacy particle system) but when I exited and restarted the Editor with the same project, the Package Manager option was back.

MoctezumaDev and SpencerPDX like this.
  16. hurleybird

hurleybird

I think that's the case with compile errors that aren't related to a package, while compile errors related to packages block the Package Manager entirely and need to be resolved outside of Unity.

Deleted User likes this.
  17. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

Very stable and bugless so far but one major editor regression: now windows must be clicked for maximize shortcut toggle to work, which means no maximize shortcut in the game view while playing. I logged a bug for that one 1061824
    Also environment lighting snaps back to skybox when press play. (1061833) this one might be an HD SRP bug

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  18. EvalDaemon

EvalDaemon

19. SpencerPDX

SpencerPDX

Just ran into an issue in 2018.2's Timeline with cross-fading audio clips, or doing any kind of ease-in / ease-out on audio clips. Found that if there is an object assigned in the track's field, crossfade and ease-in and ease-out don't work. But in a track with no audio source assigned, the crossfade and ease-in and -out do work.

A little distressing because we ran into a crossfade issue before, and the fix at the time was to update to Unity 2018.1.3f1. Perhaps this was fixed before and broke again?

Submitted a bug, fingers crossed.

UPDATE: Turns out it is indeed a bug and Unity is working on it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018
  20. MoctezumaDev

MoctezumaDev

Core Engine
    • Addressable Asset System
    I think you guys should not announce this things if they are still in preview mode or in an unstable state, I mean the feature is far from stable and put it in a release make you think that it's ready for use, which is not the case, I think you should manage the communication in a very different way, half finished features should not be part of a release announcement.

21. Jacob_Unity

Jacob_Unity

Administrator

You're right - we usually mark the preview parts of releases as such, and even though it does say so in the blog post, it's not marked clearly enough in the text. I'll make sure it's more visible both here and there.

MoctezumaDev likes this.
  22. Oscar-Tsang

Oscar-Tsang

Current 2018.2 generated macOS app rejected by Appstore reviewer. Because it includes unnecessary framework (Gamekit) in the Lib.

Reviewer request us the unlink the GameKit framework, but it is Unity generated lib nothing we can do.
    2018.2 is completely no use, if you need to submit macOS game to Appstore.

23. Almgp

Almgp

Please help - my unity version - 2018.2.1f1. i updated HD render pipeline, and my project is broken!

Attached Files:

24. ponasoft

ponasoft

The latest version of unity (2018.2.1f1) always asks to upgrade project but never upgrades projects. i am using unity for many years and this is the first time i faced that issue, i also use Github and i saw project version is changed when i upgraded it before.

25. elbows

elbows

You should be able to manually work around this bug by making a small change to your project settings and then using the Save Project option in the menus. This will fix the problem (it will update the ProjectSettings\ProjectVersion.txt file). Once project unity version has been successfully changed, you can always change whatever project setting you changed to trigger this back to what it was before. Changing things other than project settings may also work, but I have no experience of that.

Here are a couple of threads where this issue has come up for some people with other recent versions of Unity:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/bug...on-does-not-actually-upgrade-anything.540233/
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/ope...pdate-its-version-number.521111/#post-3431572

In one of those threads someone from Unity acknowledged the problem back in March so I was really hoping it would have been fixed by now, and steps taken from stopping this bug from happening again in subsequent versions, but it seems that hasnt happened yet.

ponasoft likes this.
  26. Artermis

Artermis

My project no longer works due to an error with advertisement coding. You need to update how to do this now as I have no idea how to fix my project. It says that UnityEngine.Advertisement is no longer required but you have given no information on what is needed now. Please fix this as I really need to know how to go forward with my project.

27. SpencerPDX

SpencerPDX

Has there been some change to the way animated objects work, specifically how they act when there's no keys playing in Timeline? I've got a bunch of animations involving an airplane wing that has a bunch of moving parts like flaps extending. Used to be the flaps would default to their retracted state, which is how the first frames of the FBX file look. But now they all seem to be defaulting to extended. Which is causing all sorts of glitches all over the place, and I'm having to patch up by adding keys to corrected the extended parts back into a retracted state.

It's like some basic default state has been changed - is there an easier way to change it back?

28. Bradamante

Bradamante

Having problems with Unity 2018.2.1 right now. Fresh install of Unity and macOS. Might also be Visual Code related. #1067083, #1066822

I also don't like the fact that you can't edit color schemes inside VS Community and the ones you can download on the web are apparently for VS Studio.

29. asperatology

asperatology

@Jacob_Unity Do Unity ever plan to announce minor version updates? 2018.2.1 is out, but I never see those versions get announcements anywhere.

30. elbows

elbows

Jacob_Unity likes this.
  31. asperatology

asperatology

Ah, thanks.

Jacob_Unity and elbows like this.
  32. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

Has anyone notice this error when making a build with unsafe code in 2018.2.2?

33. Thelo

Thelo

I use unsafe code and just made a build with 2018.2.2 without seeing that error.

That said, I also use the "manual" way of enabling unsafe code, which is having files csc.rsp, mcs.rsp, smcs.rsp in the root of my assets folder with the contents "-unsafe", instead of using the actual "Allow 'unsafe' code" checkbox option in the player settings. Maybe using that would help?

34. ibbybn

ibbybn

Anyone having problems importing their project into 2018.2.3f1 ?
    Coming from 2018.2.1.
    While importing scripts is shown the appdata/local/unity/editor.log
    gets spammed with ( til c is full ):

Invalid #ifdef expression: UNITY_EDITOR (error around

EDIT:
    Was able to get around it by taking out the script right before all the spammed errors in the log.
    Let's see if it works once the project is imported.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  35. ixdeveloper

ixdeveloper

36. hurleybird

hurleybird

This is *still* a problem in 2018.2.4. I'm tired of constantly needing to guide people around the issue. Come on, UT!

37. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey, guys... so I have finally updated to Unity 2018.2 and I am looking for the PostEffects Stack and it is currently broken in my scenes. Is there an update to this? And where can I find it

38. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Good evening. So I am testing out Unity 2018.2 and I am looking at my game view to notice this weird fading that wasn't there before... (i'm also using the progressive light mapper too). How do I get rid of this? and there is a light in my scene.

upload_2018-8-22_21-31-47.png

39. ikisarov

ikisarov

Unity 2018.2.6f1
    Size UI editor:
    Unity 2018.2.6f1.jpg

Unity 2018.1.7f1
    Size UI editor:
    Unity 2018.1.7f1.jpg

Please correct. Through the property -> compatibility -> high-resolution scaling does not help

40. kkrac

kkrac

Why doesn't my editor download latest version?

I have the 5.6.3p2 (dated Sept. 1 2017) and when I click on "Check update" in the editor, it says I have the latest one.

41. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi guys!

I've been absent a long time and I just installed version 2018.2.7f1. I had selected Visual Studio in the installer, selected where I wanted Unity to be installed. During installation, it occurred that we cannot choose where to install Visual Studio. I had to uninstall Visual Studio Installer and re-install it so that I could choose:
    1. where to install Visual Studio,
    2. the linguistic options.

Could you fix this for the future or is it something only Microsoft can change?

Thanks for the hard work on your engine! :)

42. unity_BvnYjAsq78RJ1A

unity_BvnYjAsq78RJ1A

When will an LTS release of Unity 2018 be available?

Regards,
    Gianni

43. unity_BvnYjAsq78RJ1A

unity_BvnYjAsq78RJ1A

44. I_Am_DreReid

I_Am_DreReid

Will wait till a couple months after before I upgrade.

45. Thelo

Thelo

46. Deleted User

Deleted User

2018.2.7f1 and 2018.2.8f1 and all the others before: none of the short cuts that are supposed to open tabs work:
    • Ctrl+0
    • Ctrl+1
    • Ctrl+2
    • Ctrl+3
    • Ctrl+4
    • Ctrl+5
    • Ctrl+6
    • Ctrl+7
    • Ctrl+8
    • Ctrl+9 (Asset Store)
    The only one that works is Ctrl+Shift+C (console). This problem seems to have been there forever, at least for me on at least two different computers.

Clicking on "Open in Unity" in the Assets Store does launch Unity but that's it, it doesn't open the Asset Store tab; this has been there forever for me too. It seems that it's obvious that everyone keeps the Asset Store tab open in their layout but I don't.

I'm sorry if I sound angry but I thought this had been fixed a long time ago...

47. Deleted User

Deleted User

I think the check for update didn't work back then and since you have the 5x version, if it worked it would prompt your to install the latest 5x version (I may be wrong there).

Anyway, if it worked, all you would get is being redirected to the download page on the site. ;)

48. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

It works on all versions of Unity as normal for me. What operating system and locale settings? This seems like a bug that's affecting just you, so it would be great to know more about your setup so Unity could fix it.

49. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm on Windows 7 SP1 up to date, French.

I just noticed another problem, it seems that when Unity is opened via the "Open in Unity" button on the Assets Store, it doesn't use the GPU, it just uses the integrated chip. If I launch Unity from a short cut on my desktop, it does use the GPU (in the Nvidia panel, Unity is set to use the GPU by default). Need to do some more testing about that to make sure the problem is not elsewhere.

50. Deleted User

Deleted User

I can now confirm this behaviour:
    • I used several times in a row the "Open in Unity" button and Unity started on the integrated chip,
    • I started Unity several times in a row from the desktop link and Unity started on the GPU according to how it is set in the Nvidia control panel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.