Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Unity 2018.2.2f1 child window resizing issue

Discussion in 'Linux' started by kodenkm, Jun 9, 2018.

1. kodenkm

kodenkm

I've found another window resize issue affecting 2018.2.0b* builds. This is affecting child windows specifically. The main Unity window can resize just fine now in the b7 build. This does not affect Unity 2018.1.x, only seems to be happening in 2018.2.0b* so far. I have reproduced it in 2018.2.0b2 and the new 2018.2.0b7.

The bug is reproducible with "Snap Settings" and "Preferences" windows. It has slightly different behaviour in HiDPI and non-HiDPI mode.

In non-HiDPI mode the child windows can never be resized smaller, only larger each time you try to resize.

In HiDPI mode the child windows can be resized both directions, but very often they just take over and begin to continually grow larger by themselves and never stop until getting as big as possible for the display. This happens when resizing on either X and Y axis as well as from the corner. They continue to auto resize even when interacting with the window content (eg. scrolling the Preferences key action list with and without dragging the scroll bar); and also when Unity is not focused (different app altogether). You can make the auto resize stop by moving the window.

My machine specs for reference:
    • Ubuntu 18.04 (Gnome 3.28.1, X11 desktop session)
    • Dell XPS 15 9560
    • 4k display with 200% scaling
    • Nvidia 390.48 drivers

2. kodenkm

kodenkm

This is still happening in the new Unity 2018.2.0f1 build.

I also found another resize issue affecting the Unity 2018.2.0xx builds. Resizing the docked editor panels causes the other visible panels to go full white until they are each resized again. Using window maximise/restore toggle fixes them all.

mrspeaker likes this.
  3. kodenkm

kodenkm

This is still happening in Unity 2018.2.0f2, including the full white panels on resize which happens in normal and HiDPI mode.

As mentioned in another thread, the Asset Store window when detached jitters around and fills the window height on at least one axis.

I also just noticed that dragging any detached window by its top bar pushes the window well below (by a constant distance) where the dragging mouse cursor is, occasionally jittering back to where it should be under the mouse cursor. This happens in normal and HiDPI mode.

4. spacepluk

spacepluk

Same here with 2018.2.0.f2

kodenkm likes this.
  5. ma1onso

ma1onso

6. JB9000

JB9000

Same on Arch Linux.

7. kodenkm

kodenkm

This is still happening in 2018.2.1f1

8. kodenkm

kodenkm

The issue with full white panels after resize is fixed in 2018.2.2f1

The other issues are still happening in 2018.2.2f1:
    • Dragging dockable windows goes crazy. The windows jitter and pop around not being connected to the mouse drag point. These windows are nearly impossible to dock again. They keep trying to go maximised and can not be resized by dragging edges while undocked. The "Asset Store" dockable window is the worst to try and use.
    • Child tool windows like "Unity Preferences", "Snap Settings" and "Color" picker still continually resize themselves after a size change. Very easy to reproduce, just try to resize one and when you release the mouse it continues to resize itself.
    • Scrolling with mouse wheel action in scroll bar enabled windows like "Project" window and "Keys" Unity Preferences still pops back from top. You have to manually drag the scroll bar to see the top rows.

With the white panels bug fixed I think the 2018 release is now stable enough to upgrade my project to. The other issues/bugs are annoying but bearable to have the HiDPI support working. I will finally be able to read text in the editor without squinting or lifting the screen up to my face.

ma1onso likes this.
  9. kodenkm

kodenkm

I made some videos to demonstrate.

Tool window resize bug:

Dragging dockable window (jittering and unresizable) bug:

Scrollable list bug:

spacepluk likes this.
  10. JB9000

JB9000

The resize bug is fixed for me in 2018.2.3f1, and HiDPI also works pretty well too!

11. kodenkm

kodenkm

All the issues shown in the my 4 video's above are still happening in 2018.2.3f1

12. ma1onso

ma1onso

13. kodenkm

kodenkm

Thanks for your suggestion, but that does not seem to fix my issues. I guess that only fixes some issues affecting Elementary. I am running standard Ubuntu 18.04.

I retested all my above video issues with Unity 2018.2.7f1 and they are all still present, even when launching with the suggested option:
    GTK_CSD=0 /home/kodenkm/Unity-2018.2.7f1/Editor/Unity

I have also just noticed another bug which i will put into a new thread. Pressing either of the shift keys with an item selected in the right hand project panel, will unselect the current item and then select the next item.

14. mosaic_school

mosaic_school

I still can't resize sub windows in
    - 2018.2.15f1
    - 2018.3.0b9
    - 2019.1.0a8

Would be great if this could be fixed timely. =)

15. sangerge

sangerge

same to unity2019.1.0a9

mosaic_school and ma1onso like this.
  16. axmiku

axmiku