Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2018.2.0b2 quite a few errors that stop assets working

Discussion in '2018.2 Beta' started by radiantboy, May 22, 2018.

1. radiantboy

radiantboy

When I load unity with my project I see the following errors (which seemingly stop some assets working, like Adventure Creator menu is not there in my project, though works in a fresh one.).

I have no idea of what any of these mean any help would be good on how to pin point what is causing them!

Unloading broken assembly Library/ScriptAssemblies/Assembly-CSharp-Editor.dll, this assembly can cause crashes in the runtime
    0x00000001415173A8 (Unity) StackWalker::GetCurrentCallstack
    0x000000014151D8E6 (Unity) StackWalker::ShowCallstack
    0x00000001413EDA5B (Unity) GetStacktrace
    0x00000001408A19A0 (Unity) DebugStringToFile
    0x0000000140BC5E5B (Unity) MonoManager::SetupLoadedEditorAssemblies
    0x0000000140BBAB8C (Unity) MonoManager::EndReloadAssembly
    0x0000000140BC4D8D (Unity) MonoManager::ReloadAssembly
    0x0000000140E57573 (Unity) LoadDomainAndUserAssemblies
    0x0000000140E57ADD (Unity) LoadMonoAssembliesAndRecompileIfNecessary
    0x000000014142161B (Unity) Application::InitializeProject
    0x00000001415CA148 (Unity) WinMain
    0x00000001423F953A (Unity) __scrt_common_main_seh
    0x00007FFD06131FE4 (KERNEL32) BaseThreadInitThunk
    0x00007FFD0680F061 (ntdll) RtlUserThreadStart

ArgumentException: Value does not fall within the expected range.
    SyntaxTree.VisualStudio.Unity.Bridge.CompilationUnit.LanguageOf (SyntaxTree.VisualStudio.Unity.Bridge.CompilationUnit unit)
    SyntaxTree.VisualStudio.Unity.Bridge.CompilationUnit.CompilationUnits ()
    SyntaxTree.VisualStudio.Unity.Bridge.ProjectSystem.UnitySolutionBuilder..ctor ()
    SyntaxTree.VisualStudio.Unity.Bridge.ProjectSystem.UnitySolutionBuilder.CreateSolutionFromAssetDatabase ()
    SyntaxTree.VisualStudio.Unity.Bridge.ProjectFilesGenerator.GenerateProject ()
    SyntaxTree.VisualStudio.Unity.Bridge.ProjectFilePostprocessor.OnPreGeneratingCSProjectFiles ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.AssetPostprocessingInternal.OnPreGeneratingCSProjectFiles () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/AssetPostprocessor.cs:194)
    UnityEditor.VisualStudioIntegration.SolutionSynchronizer.Sync () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/VisualStudioIntegration/SolutionSynchronizer.cs:206)
    UnityEditor.SyncVS.SyncVisualStudioProjectIfItAlreadyExists () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/SyncProject.cs:163)

Failed to create DX11 vertex declaration; something wrong with vertex shader input data? (hr=80070057)

Assertion failed on expression: '(srcInfo.GetChannelMask() & copyChannels) == copyChannels'

These dont really affect anything apart from a build and some assets, I really need to use adventure creator but the menu is missing, I think it is related somehow.

I actually managed to build my game for windows but it was just a really bloomed out white screen, seemed to work apart from the graphical corruption ( I could see text that im printing and my console worked fine). Noticed my .asset.resS file is 6 gig so its probably that nasty long standing 4 gig limit thing in the build itself.

Im still using older post processing stuff maybe that is part of the issue, it got upgraded I recall in unity 2018?

2. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

why not update to the latest beta first? your 2 version behind

3. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

also if the "Adventure Creator" is not compatible with the beta version of unity 2018.2bX then you should not be using it and wont get much official support around such use case while the base engine release for this release is still beta

EDIT: just checked and nowhere does it say it is compatible. I recommend only ever updating software if you are sure all dependencies are compatible with the upgrade.

You need version 2018.1 not 2018.2 if you want to use this. 2018.2 is beta, not a released version.

Peter77 likes this.
  4. radiantboy

radiantboy

Thanks for the tips! Yeah I cant justify why I have been on the bleeding edge betas, I probably should not have been but going back is tough/risky/time consuming/just the same. It's a complex project with a lot going on and these things happen, I think I thought something would be fixed. Also you say move to latest beta but that's exactly the syndrome Ive been stuck in :) I wish I stopped at unity 5.6!... beta greed :)

Anyway, Adventure Creator DOES work in a fresh 2018.2 beta.. so it must be somehow related to my project, Im looking for a sane way to track down what in my project is the problem. I cannot understand why the menu does not show up, I have RAIN, UMA, they show up, adventure creator does not in my project.

5. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Your best bet then is to email the asset author support directly I am sure they will help you :)

6. radiantboy

radiantboy

Thanks man, I really appreciate your replies because I am in a desperate way now. I spoke to the asset author, the common consensus is that if there are compile errors then custom menus will not appear. That explains why the adventure creator menu does not appear apparently. But if so why does the Rain, UMA, Unlock, Substance menus all work perfectly. Do you think it is correct that a compile issue stops an assets menu appearing? And if so why do these others work?

Finally, do I really have compile issues? If I hit clear the console clears, no red errors stay, yet there are some before that. I am even able to play the game or make a build (after a 12 hour goat sacrifice to the unity gods of course) - which I assume means no compile errors? And in that case why does adventure creator not appear, and as you so rightly say maybe somehow this does fall back into the lap of the asset creator. But the problem is it works in a fresh project! So as Unity so often does to one, I sit here angry and baffled, and totally confused. LOL.....

7. elbows

elbows

Obviously it would be better if you could learn everything you need to track down the problem precisely, but I dont see that many clues in what you;ve said so far and you might have to do some trial and error experiments. If it were me needing to do that, I would take a backup of the project/copy the entire project. Update to the latest beta. Delete packages such as Adventure Creator and try to bring them into your project from fresh. And yes, rule in or out your suspicions about things like old post-processing by deleting them and studying if that has any impact.

8. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Is there a chance you could file a bug report with a reproduction project attached? The error handling for this is about to be improved and more test cases would help a lot. If you can't get it to show up in a smaller project, sending the original would be fine, too.

9. radiantboy

radiantboy

Someone from Unity, AWESOME :) I can try my best, the project is *ridiculously* large and convoluted, so I think that could be difficult (though I do actually make regular backups and store in cloud if its ok for you guys to get 100 gigs+ - I could provide dropbox link, I think I have in past). Log files of course no issue, I am willing to do whatever I can here to get my assets working again, now held up by adventure creator and emerald AI not showing up correctly.

Thanks for the reply, I cannot wait for that extra error handling :) Just point to the file or anything that can help identify, life will be so nice :)

10. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Adding the dropbox link to the bug report is totally sufficient. If you post the case # here after submitting it I can forward it.