Search Unity

Official Unity 2018.1 is now available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jacob_Unity, May 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacob_Unity

Jacob_Unity

Administrator

Unity 2018.1 is now available on the download page.

Read the blog post for full details.

Graphics
    • Scriptable Render Pipeline
    • High Definition Render Pipeline (Preview)
    • The Lightweight Render Pipeline
    • Templates
    • Shader Graph
    • Progressive Lightmapper
    • Post-Processing Stack v2
    • Dynamic Resolution for PS4
    • GPU Instancing: Support for GI
    • Lightmap UV overlap visualization
    • Tessellation for Metal
    2D
    • Physics: 2D
    • 2D SpriteShape Preview
    • 2D Animation System Preview
    Particle System improvements
    • GPU Mesh Instancing
    • Orbital Particle Velocity
    • Textured Shape Module
    • Sub-emitters
    • Legacy Particle System retirement
    Animation
    • Weighted Tangents (Animation Curves)
    Probuilder as a package

Core Engine
    • The C# Job system
    • Entity Component System
    • Burst Compiler
    Asset Import
    • Cache Server v6.0
    Editor general
    • Package Manager
    • Test assemblies defined by Assembly Definition
    • Presets
    Cinemachine & Timeline
    • Timeline improvements and editing modes
    • Cinemachine improvements
    Scripting
    • Deprecation of MonoDevelop
    • Support for IL2CPP scripting backend for Windows and macOS
    • Scripting Upgrade .NET 4.x
    • Standard 2.0 .NET support and new “Unity” profile
    • Resonance Audio: Spatial audio for mobile and desktop
    XR
    • Native multiplatform AR APIs (preview)
    • Magic Leap
    • Daydream standalone VR headset
    • ARCore 1.1 for Unity
    • Stereo 360 image/video capture
    Platforms
    • Android ARM64 (preview)
    • Android Sustained Performance Mode for non-VR applications
    Performance Reporting

2018.1: Introduction of two new support streams

Remember to back up your projects before downloading the latest version of Unity. If you encounter any issues, please let us know by submitting a bug report so it can reach our developers. Future patch releases for fixes will be found here.

Thanks again to all the users who helped with testing and giving us feedback on 2018.1 while it was in beta! Notice that we’ve locked the 2018.1 beta forum, so please create your new threads in the appropriate sections of the Forum.

vakabaka, rpopic2, petersx and 4 others like this.
  2. Mauri

Mauri

Wohooo!

Jacob_Unity likes this.
  3. rpopic2

rpopic2

HORAYYYY

4. quantbrain

quantbrain

ECS not found.
    upload_2018-5-2_18-17-47.png

5. wayneglows

wayneglows

Both direct and hub downloads are failing in TX, USA right now. Might be a server or CDN issue due to the load. UnityHubError.PNG

6. boxhallowed

boxhallowed

Great work!

7. Jacob_Unity

Jacob_Unity

Administrator

I'm not having any issues downloading - let me know if it keeps not working.

8. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

@Jacob_Unity Can we get an example on how to bake and use the occlusion probe please? There's really no example how to use it :/

Thall33 likes this.
  9. elbows

elbows

I was sort of expecting 2018.1f2 to use newer versions of post-processing and render pipelines packages when creating new projects from a template. But the versions it uses for this seem to be a few versions older than what is available to download through the package manager. eg postprocessing 2.0.3-preview instead of 2.0.5-preview and SRP modules 1.1.2-preview rather than 1.1.5-preview.

I have started a thread in the experimental graphics forum to ask for more info about this, but I thought I should post here to let people trying pipelines out via new project template feature that newer versions are available.

Confused about why old 1.1.2 versions ship with 2018.1

Jacob_Unity likes this.
  10. f1chris

f1chris

Thx. Great work and we have reached an important milestone !!

I love your enhanced Release Notes section with embedded pictures an even videos. Lot of efforts put in there.

11. DevinW

DevinW

I'm also unable to download using the Hub. Get about 80% threw when it fails. I've tried unchecking all the extra packages and just install the editor, still get the error `Editor Download Failed, Download request timed out after 5 seconds. Closing connections`

12. luisforque

luisforque

I couldnt find the "Native multiplatform AR APIs (preview)" in the package manager. How can I use it?

13. polygoncgi

polygoncgi

I'm having issues with Deferred Rendering on iOS. It doesn't seem to work in 2018.1 but works fine in the 2018.2 Beta. Anyone else having this issue?

14. ikv007s

ikv007s

Is it safe to use for production or starting a new project? the project is not something major but a simple android game

15. TurleyE

TurleyE

With this being 2018.1, does that mean that a 2018.2 beta project can't be loaded in it?

16. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

We consider it safe, yes. If we didn't, we would have kept it in beta.

In general Unity projects cannot be downgraded. You can try, and it's likely to mostly work, but some things may break and you will be in Officially Unsupported territory.

Deleted User likes this.
  17. kdarius43

kdarius43

Hello I just download the new version. I was trying to test out the High-Definition RP. when I create the project I get a lot of shader errors and a lot of Kernel 'KMain' not found. Any thoughts?

18. Jacob_Unity

Jacob_Unity

Administrator

Try posting your question in this Progressive Lightmapper thread.

19. Jacob_Unity

Jacob_Unity

Administrator

From the comments on the blog, it looks like they will release soon. I'll let you know when I hear more. :)

20. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Already did that since april, still no response. Ah well, another new feature without any clue how to use it :/

21. kdarius43

kdarius43

also when i open the light weight render i get a lot of shader errors and everything comes up pink

So when I try to open it up on my Surface it works fine... But on my desktop i am getting these errors

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  22. tdmowrer

tdmowrer

The multi-platform API is in 2018.1 under the
    UnityEngine.Experimental.XR
    namespace (
    XRSessionSubsystem
    , for example). This is a low-level scripting API which is meant to be very close to the metal. We're also working on a higher level package called ARFoundation which will be the recommended way to interact with handheld AR in Unity. That will be released soon via the Package Manager.

Cheers,
    Tim

23. TurleyE

TurleyE

Thanks, thats what I thought. Didn't realise that the ".2" was a different version, just thought it was the latest beta. Think I might restore a backup prior to managing to get the project to upgrade to ".2", as well as deleting "Unity Hub", which spent hours downloading "2018.1", yet is not showing it as installed.

24. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Hi,
    Unity Download Assistent isn´t working with OSX 10.9.5...

Cheers,
    Michael

Attached Files:

25. Sarah_Lee

Sarah_Lee

We do a lot of unit test, so just wanted to show appropriation on least noticed improvement ...

Thank you Unity team (dev,QA) for making Test Runner execution (start and stop) lightning fast in 2018.1
    It's now so much more fun doing unit test :)

HaraldNielsen and superpig like this.
  26. Lex4art

Lex4art

Question about this bugfix ("[LPPV] Low performance in Scene view on complex scene") it's clearly marked as "Fixed in Unity 2018.1" but light probes proxy volume performance in Scene view are the same (very slow, 1-2 fps on complex scene with tons of objects with LPPVs) + there is no mention of this bugfix in Unity 2018.1 release notes... please, make it in to the next patch release for Unity 2018.1, it's very essential at least for me.

In Unity 2018.b2+ this was fixed and clearly it's working but beta are way too risky to work with...

27. gv

gv

I cannot run Unity ... It keeps telling me something about a link not being valid.... Can't do anything... If i keep clicking it then changes language... Great product, cannot even use it!

28. Jacob_Unity

Jacob_Unity

Administrator

I just got this clarified - the Custom Bakes API is for accessing data within the baking solution for development of new lighting tools, such as the Occlusion Probes system used in Book of the Dead. I've added the word "custom" to the blog post, to clarify that it is for making tools similar to that, not the tool itself.

29. nelsonlarocca

nelsonlarocca

after moving to 2018.1 version the same project started getting :

trouble writing output: Too many field references to fit in one dex file: 145538; max is 65536.
    You may try using multi-dex. If multi-dex is enabled then the list of classes for the main dex list is too large.

30. Velo222

Velo222

Is there a tutorial on how to setup the Unity Editor to use the new HD Render Pipeline?

31. oLDo

oLDo

A lot of bugs.

- Create Shader graph option is missing in upgraded project from 2017. Copied shader graph file from another project working. I tried all suggestion which I found on forum, still missing option in create menu.
    - Shader Graph editor - properties node stuck on mouse cursor on change dropdown type of variable. Only solution close this editor and reopen.
    - Upgraded another project from 2017, missing Package Manager menu option. No error.
    - On computer with user rights problem with Visual studio. Unity do not recreate sln file and other important stuff. No intelisense, no debugging, no support.
    - I have one project and after upgrade to 2018 not working at all. No error in console, scripts runs because I receive debug log, but nothing happen. Everything is acting like everything is fine. Debugging with visual studio impossible, because visual studio can't attach to unity. Just some stupid error without sense and **** off.

How you can call this release version?!

jkampitakis likes this.
  32. yezzer

yezzer

@timmunity Any details on when ARFoundation is likely to drop / any expected delays? I have a bunch of work that would really benefit when this is released :)

luisforque likes this.
  33. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

34. jkampitakis

jkampitakis

This is the most UNSTABLE Unity version has ever existed!!

In my team we get unexpected editor crashes ALL THE TIME for no particular or reproducable reason.
    The result is we end up losing all the day's work, scenes etc...

Unity 2018.1.1f1

35. f1chris

f1chris

+1

36. MasoInar

MasoInar

Sorry to hear :(

For me 2018.1 is the most stable version of unity I've used long time. No editor crashes on Mac and only 1 crash on Windows when I was trying to generate font awesome TMP asset with weird settings.. I've been using 2018.1 since beta 10.

I remember that some 5.x versions was very unstable and 2017 was somewhat unstable for me as editor crashed occasionally just after compiling scripts.

37. superpig

superpig

If you're all working on the same project, odds are high that you're all running into the same crash bug, over and over again. Do you have the bug number for any of the reports you filed?

38. jkampitakis

jkampitakis

I haven't filled a bug report as we can't make a reproducible step by step case analysis or say anything about the conditions that may cause this crash....

The only thing I can do to "help" anyone from the Unity team is provide the editor log that shows the system exceptions that occur just before the editor crashes..

Attached Files:

39. superpig

superpig

When it comes to crashes, it's usually worth hitting the 'submit' button on the bug reporter, even if you can't provide reproducible steps - we do analyse all incoming crashes automatically, so your report can be useful for that analysis even if we can't do much more than that.

Looking at that log file, it looks like it's an issue with scripting runtime, and poking in the bug database a bit it seems like it might be specific to the .NET 4.6 runtime. I've asked the scripting team for more information, but in the meantime, you might be able to work around the issue by switching back to the .NET 3.5 runtime.

40. jkampitakis

jkampitakis

ok then, we will switch back to the .NET 3.5 runtime to see if that stops the frequent crashes.

Thanks a lot for your help.

41. jkampitakis

jkampitakis

This solved our frequent crashes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.