Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2018.1 Can't Open Project, Fatal Error

Discussion in '2018.1 Beta' started by Xander-Davis, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

Hello!

I'm testing opening my existing project (which was last successfully upgraded to 2017.3.1p4 without any issue) into 2018.1b and as it tries to upgrade the project, I get this error:

I can't do anything once this happens, including click Quit. I have to Force Quit Unity from the Finder (running macOS 10.13.3 High Sierra).

What should I do? Why is this happening? Any advice?

Thanks,
    -Xander

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Hi Xander,
    Could you please submit a bug report with that project attached?
    You can find more information about bug reporting here:
    Unity - A guide to beta testing

3. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

Hello,

Thanks for your willingness to help. However, as usual with bug reports, I'd really rather not submit my entire project loaded with proprietary and sensitive intellectual property and content.

Is there anything else we can try?

4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

You could try to strip the project of unrelated content and minimize it. We have some tools you can use for this. They're available via the link I provided above.

Please submit a bug report in any case, even if you don't want to attach a project. That way we'll at least get your logs and be able to see at what point it breaks down. Reply in here with the case # if you do, so I can forward it.

5. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

Okay, sounds good. At this point I'll have to roll back Unity to even get to the Bug Reporter right? Or is there another way to submit, like a web-form?

6. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

You can access the bug reporter individually. There's an executable in the directory where you installed Unity.

7. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

Okay, so I decided to go ahead and send the project anyway if it helps resolve a bug this critical.

However, the bug reporter is just hanging exactly 50% through uploading the report. The project is 26 GB and the ZIP of it is down to 15 GB. It's been several hours.

Is this normal or did it crash? I'll check it in the morning-- maybe it's just taking awhile with the upload speed (SpeedTest says it's 12Mbps here, but I don't know what the Unity servers do on the intake). It has me guessing since the progress bar doesn't move at all.

Thanks again for your assistance :)

8. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

The bug-reporter tool is unable to handle any project larger than 2 or 4 GB, that will not work. You have to do that as followed...

1. Submit the bug-report, but do not attach your project. Ask the QA to provide a secure, password protected location, where you can upload your 26 GB project. QA most likely will provide an own-cloud link. Ask the QA to send you the login data under separate cover and they should not post the password in the bug-report itself.

2. Once you receive the server location and login data, upload your project. Reply to your bug-report once the upload completed.

3. Post your bug-report case number in this thread for @LeonhardP to pick up. Do not post the link, post the 6 digit number only.

LeonhardP likes this.
  9. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

I'm not aware of any size constraints for uploads via the bug reporter. But unfortunately it doesn't support continue on fail, so if something goes wrong, the upload has to be started over. That's why we recommend the approach you suggested. Certainly a workflow that we'll have to streamline in the future.

10. vakabaka

vakabaka

try to uncheck read-only from the projects folder and start Unity as admin.

11. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

@vakabaka I'm on macOS and it seems the project folder isn't set to anything like ready-only on the folder's Get Info. My user account is set to Read & Write for the folder's permissions already though.

@LeonhardP okay I've submitted the bug. Case #1017338

Let me know if there's anything else I can do and I'll be happy to try. Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  12. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Why did you ignore this advice? :confused: You just gave everybody access to your entire bug-report history and any (sensitive) information you might share in the future or did share already.

13. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

Ah good catch-- I didn't realize it worked this way. Why is this public and not behind a login? Sort of... dumb?

14. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

No doubt. This is going to change eventually.

Peter77 and Xander-Davis like this.
  15. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

Got a reply from the bug post, fortunately before uploading anything of the project.

Looking forward to seeing if that fixed it.

Thanks

16. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

b12 was just published, so you can already try it out. :)

17. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

Ha! Awesome-- will do. I'll also report here if this fixes it and let the team know via the bug report too.

LeonhardP likes this.
  18. Xander-Davis

Xander-Davis

Okay it crashed at first, then upon re-opening it and the project it proceeded to re-import the entire project (which took all day). Then it stayed open and there were a lot of errors with third party Asset Store things (like Substance, PlayMaker, etc..., a separate issue). Once I got all errors to clear by quick workarounds, it played from start to finish just fine. So with all errors cleared, I tried a build, but the build failed.

So I guess this resolves the original issue and now there are other issues to address.

Thanks for your help. This is a step in the right direction so far, but still some things to resolve.

Cheers