Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2018.1.5f1 do not start after installation Ubuntu 18.4 LTS

Discussion in 'Linux' started by BadMasterUA, Jun 21, 2018.

1. BadMasterUA

BadMasterUA

Good evening, everybody. After installation, I encountered the fact that the editor does not start after clicking on Unity.

2. PeteXZ

PeteXZ

On my machine, the editor starts but then crashes after a few minutes, even if I don't do anything. Has anyone got it working successfully on Ubuntu 18.04? It would be good to know if this configuration is meant to work, before I spend a lot of time trying to troubleshoot it.

3. BadMasterUA

BadMasterUA

On Windows all worked fine with my characteristics.
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz × 4
    RAM: 8 Gb
    GPU: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

4. Akil

Akil

Just installed, and didn't work for me neither. Fixed it in 1 min. Just install all dependencies:

Code (bash):
    1. sudo apt-get install gconf-service lib32gcc1 lib32stdc++6 libasound2 libc6 libc6-i386 libcairo2 libcap2 libcups2 libdbus-1-3 libexpat1 libfontconfig1 libfreetype6 libgcc1 libgconf-2-4 libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0 libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1 libglib2.0-0 libglu1-mesa libglu1 libgtk2.0-0 libnspr4 libnss3 libpango1.0-0 libstdc++6 libx11-6 libxcomposite1 libxcursor1 libxdamage1 libxext6 libxfixes3 libxi6 libxrandr2 libxrender1 libxtst6 zlib1g debconf npm

5. PeteXZ

PeteXZ

That got my hopes up, but it didn't help with the crashes I've been experiencing. Just to be completely clear, though, you are running Unity on Ubuntu 18.04 successfully now you've installed the dependencies? That would be really helpful to know, because it would show that the problem is with my installation (and so it's fixable by me) rather than being an issue with the Unity Linux build.

Thanks for taking the time to post your suggestion.

6. BadMasterUA

BadMasterUA

Thanks for the help. But I solved the problem by the most strange method. I installed version 2017.2.0f from the deb package removed it and only then installed the latest version for the current moment and it all worked. This is called "Ukrainian hacking":p:D:D:D

7. PeteXZ

PeteXZ

Sorry @BadMasterUA, I didn't notice your post, which made clear that you had Unity working under 18.04. It's not a bad idea installing the deb version first! It makes sure you get all the dependencies.

It works for me with a new 18.04 installation under VirtualBox (but very slowly as you would expect). I wonder what's wrong with my normal installation as it's very similar to yours—I've got nVidia graphics as well (though a GTX 780) so it doesn't sound like a problem with the video drivers.

8. BadMasterUA

BadMasterUA

Thank you. I also do not have very high performance in the editor. On Windows on an empty stage, I have 300 fps for a minimum of 87-130. I did not try it on new renderers. I do not know what is connected with the characteristics of a PC or optimization for Linux