Search Unity

Unity 2017.4 - Unstable?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Miscellaneous, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Just moved from Unity 5.6.5 to Unity 2017.4 LTS, what a nightmare!

The Editor crashes 3+ times every day and half the times Mono Development becomes corrupted and needs to be reinstalled (OSX 10.13.3).

Anyone else experiences the Unity Editor becoming frequently more unstable?

I don't care much about writing bug reports, as Unity is at "master ostrich level" in ignoring them and it seems the only way they get "fixed" is when a completely new re-write of that component replaces it (but sadly introduces a bunch of new bugs)... But this is the Editor, some reasonable trust should be established with your tools...

LexLthr likes this.
  2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I experienced Unity's QA as fast and responsive team and many bugs I reported have been forwarded to a developer and fixed already.

I make sure to follow their rules though. That is, I submit bug-reports following these guidelines and provide a project to reproduce the issue and test their fix against. I often provide a video that shows in baby-steps what's wrong. The easier an issue can be reproduced on Unity's side, the more likely it is to get forwarded to a developer.

Basically, I prepare bug reports for them, the same way I want users to prepare bug-reports for me. It takes time, but if an issue is important to me and I want to get it fixed, there is no other way than doing that. If you don't submit a bug-report, it's very likely they're not going to fix the issue.

Unity should be interested to fix issues in their LTS releases, as these are announced as their most robust releases out there.

Lu4e and richardkettlewell like this.
  3. Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

If you where sounding a bit less like a Pro Unity lobbyist, I could have believe you.

4. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I use 2017.3.0 right now - and its been really dependable. I haven't tried the LTS releases yet, and that is a new thing, so I wouldn't be surprised if a few bugs snuck in while they changed things up.

Anyway, I'd say give 2017.3.0 a whirl and find out if you still get problems there, because if not - you might be hitting a legit bug.

5. Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

LTS 2017.4.1 is rock stable for me... I do prefer a stable tool, very good for work flow and my own sanity!

6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

What does the editor log say about these crashes?

As far as MonoDevelop, 2017.4.x is the very last version of Unity that supports it. I'd switch to VS.

7. Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Mono Development is thou still unstable (I need to re-install it every second day), its possible a "Bug by Design" forcing the switch to Visual Studio... I found VS nice but last I tried it on OSX it wasn't handling #if defines very well and Microsoft history of polluting the standards, left a bad taste (but since MS acquired Mono, who have a choice anymore).

Attached Files:

8. Lu4e

Lu4e

I have this problem before.
    My current work around is do a deep uninstall before switching version.

9. LexLthr

LexLthr

I'm experiencing the same problem. Exchanging dozens of emails with unity Tech guys but I doubt this issue will be fixed anytime soon. Even thinking about using a different engine... It's annoying

Kumo-Kairo likes this.
  10. Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous