Search Unity

Official Unity 2017.4 LTS is now available

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by superpig, Apr 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Unity 2017.4 is now available!

Downloads and Release Notes
    Blog post

This is a little different to our usual releases. We do not have any shiny new features to show off in 2017.4 - instead, 2017.4 marks the beginning of our Long Term Supported (LTS) programme for Unity 2017.

The LTS version will not have any new features, API changes or improvements. It will address crashes, regressions, and issues that affect the wider community, such as Enterprise Support customer issues, platform SDK updates, or any major changes that would prevent a large section of users from shipping their game. We will be releasing updates for it, every other week, until early 2020. If you already have all the features you need from the engine, and just want a version you can rely on to finish shipping your project, then this is for you.

As usual, we recommend you back up your project before upgrading - though if you are currently using Unity 2017.3, upgrading to 2017.4 should be just as easy as upgrading to a 2017.3 patch release. If you encounter any issues, please let us know by submitting a bug report so it can reach our developers.

For more information on the LTS programme and why we're doing this, please see the blog post.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    grizzly, hippocoder, gdp2 and 9 others like this.
  2. Kronnect

Kronnect

Probably the best QA decision in years! Congrats!

3. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Agreed, this is brilliant. A dev tool, more than any other kind of software, needs to be absolutely solid and as bug-free as possible (while still keeping up with necessary platform changes). Please keep up the great work!

4. mischa2k

mischa2k

This is very useful indeed!

5. joshcamas

joshcamas

Awesome, this really solidifies the professional quality of the engine. Many projects need a solid foundation and this sounds like a perfect implementation.

grizzly likes this.
  6. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Do you want us to re-submit bugs that are currently open for previous versions of Unity if they're in 2017.4? Is that useful for helping you track LTS bugs or is it just annoying because someone would just have to close them as duplicates?

7. superpig

superpig

In general, not necessary; but if you want to let us know "hey, this is still an issue in 2017.4" then please feel free. For bugs you opened yourself, you can just reply to the email to add a note to the bug, and for bugs that others opened but that you believe you're still seeing, you can submit a new bug and link to the existing one on the IssueTracker. Should be pretty fast for our QA guys to process those reports.

8. DavidSWu

DavidSWu

I am curious, why is 2017.4 not the default release when you download Unity?

mischa2k and theolagendijk like this.
  9. CraigGraff

CraigGraff

More specifically, 2017.4 is the default release if you click on Get Unity from the main site and then select personal edition and agree to the terms (presumably also if you go through the purchase process). But for those of us who already have Unity and simply want to upgrade to the latest release (by selecting Latest release at the bottom of the page) it refers us to 2017.3 still.

10. ExcaliburGames

ExcaliburGames

Agree with CraigGraff
    I found out about 2017.4 LTS today accidentally.
    I have Plus license and latest version for me 2017.3.1

11. roka

roka

If we have ported our game to the beta 2018, we have to stay on the 2018 version or we can downgrade to 2017.4?

12. Moonjump

Moonjump

Unity normally do that when there is a new release. Those who go to the standard link will include new users, so best to let those who really want the latest version to check it out first in case there are issues that could turn away curious potential customers.

13. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Hi, I asked this is another thread but I'll re-ask here. Many times if I submit a bug for the current stable version of Unity, all I get back is an email asking to see if it works in whatever the latest beta is. If I don't, it's closed without anyone bothering to try to fix it. Now that this LTS is supposed to be "more supported" and "more stable", can this please be avoided? First, it shouldn't even matter if a major bug might be fixed in a beta, since bugs are supposed to be fixed in stable releases. Second, no one working on a game has time to download every new beta as a side install and test all their bugs against it constantly. Letting us submit bugs in the LTS to have them looked at and fixed in the LTS on your side would make things much simpler.

14. DHARMAKAYA

DHARMAKAYA

GREAT! Gratitude!

15. 00christian00

00christian00

I'm rolling back to 2017.3. This new LTS gives me tons of errors in the editor, animator window stopping to work randomly, inspector window sometime refuse to refresh.

16. Deeeds

Deeeds

For such a significant endeavour, this is worded, presented and pitched in a shoddy manner.

Name it:

Unity3D 2017.Stable
    - plus version numbers...

And, as you evolve Stable.point versions to actual stability, please provide exact version downloads, in a chronological list of direct links. No hub, no download assistant, no hoop jumping. Just let users and admins rapidly, exactingly and easily install parallel versions to check against their masterpieces in perfect isolation.

In other words; cater to the actual needs of the target space. Don't just posture and promote. Unity has done more than enough of that. Instead, consolidate around a Stable version.

There's no need for yet another set of acronyms. LTS doesn't mean anything and you don't have the brand equity (or reputation) to instil it with meaning. And it's a fight not worth fighting, of your own doing, because unwrapping LTS reveals a word salad of deliberately disingenuous corporate waffle and ambiguity:

What's your definition of "Long Term" ???

What's your definition of "Supported" ???

I shouldn't even need to be thinking about this. Nor should you, or anyone working on this version... because...

...there's a word you can use, and it's the same thing your users want: Stable

Added benefit, this removes the need for explanation. At some point in the gestation of LTS "program" and the TECH "streams", someone should have realised a need for explanation revealed naming problems.

It's not too late.

A reliable housing for workhorses is such a noble building endeavour (and so important and significant to the lives of horse breeders and riders) that it's worth every effort to proclaim the entity's nature within the name. Stable inspires, empowers and explains, for breeders, groomers and users.

Stable,
    as the name of the product, serves as a constant reminder, aspiration and purpose.

Shape it. Use it. Do it. Be it.

Unity3D 2017.Stable
    From the past, for the future.

-----------

Public efforts to rename as Stable and betas will be proclaimed.

The endeavour, to evolve a stable version that can be relied upon, is so important you'll be forgiven this LTS and Tech nonsense nomenclature mistake.

For the workhorses, a Stable.

For gamers: tracks, fields, reins and grass.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  17. 00christian00

00christian00

LTS is not a new acronym, it's very well known for anybody in the real business, which is what this release is targeting.
    LTS is used widely on server distribution, ever heard for example of Ubuntu LTS?
    What this essentially mean is that if there are bugs or security issues discovered much later after the release(up to 2 years in this case), you can be sure you will have a fix without the need to upgrade version, that's all.
    Stable doesn't mean bug free, because there is no software bug free.
    As have been said the Tech release will be STABLE, so there is no reason to have a stable nomenclature.
    Everything not beta and experimental will be STABLE, they said they are trying to change the fact that you have to wait for several patch or minor releases before having a stable release.
    This is what they are aiming at least, so far my experience with the LTS has not been great and I have reverted to the latest 2017.3.

slumtrimpet and atomicjoe like this.
  18. Deeeds

Deeeds

which
    Which industry is that?

19. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-term_support

I prefer LTS in this case because it directly implies that they're going to continue to support and fix bugs in it instead of doing most bug fixing in the beta, which as my post above has said, has been a constant source of pain for some of us. When a release of something is just marked "stable" that can sometimes mean the opposite: that it's a version that won't change or get updated at all, while all bug fixes go into a "development" branch.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  20. bromske

bromske

The Problem with hanging mono.exe task is still not resolved ?! :(
    Fresh 2017.4.1f1 installed -> C# changed to 4.6 -> Standard Assets added -> ml-agent 0.3 added
    TFSharpPlugin.unitypackages import hangs :(

Windows 7 64bit i5 hd-gfx
    Unity3D 64 2017.4.1f1

What can i do, always killing the task couldn't be the solution?
    I'm the only one with this problem?

Attached Files:

21. Deeeds

Deeeds

Has there been a successful, celebrated, championed and lauded LTS?

22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

LTS is what's being used. And this is what Unity is doing. You've made your point. Long Term Support is Unity's design, like their features, software, pay package, pricing.

Does it matter? Of course not. Supporting every major version for an additional 2 years is pretty sane. In addition the changes will be far less invasive going forward with a huge part of what Unity is being moved to package manager, which is separate from the Unity download.

23. Deeeds

Deeeds

When stability is skipped, or wrongly presumed, and the leap is made to "LTS" (a term most game devs are unfamiliar with), which is both utterly subjective and arbitrary... without a prior effort to achieve stability and performance for the express purpose of releasing an LTS 'version', then yes. I think it does matter. In several ways.

With ECS looming, and its significant changes to input, rendering, transforms and just about everything else, more so.

2017.4 is now, quite likely, going to become a long term legacy product that deserves to be made stable before committing to LTS. If the world of Unity users and their publishers and planners had known about this intention, of making it an LTS, prior to its release as an LTS, the endeavour to make it stable could have been committed to, if you'll excuse the pun.

Presuming stability, at this point, seems a bit premature.

This especially true for something that's eventually going to become a legacy, and the hallmark of the old way of using Unity's legacy Component based model/paradigm. By the time 2018 reaches LTS, it's likely to be a hybrid of ECS and Components, and might even begin favouring an ECS approach. That's a very different animal. A Unity 2.0, if you like.

24. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

Bumping this up.
    I'm on 2017.3.1p3 and I'm concerned about 2017.4 giving problems.
    Is it worth upgrading?
    is there anyone else experiencing this problems?

Deeeds likes this.
  25. Mortennobel

Mortennobel

26. MechEthan

MechEthan

Any ETA on the next LTS release?

I'm guessing everyone is pretty busy trying to button up 2018.1, and that's why the every-other-week cadence got missed, but there's some fixed critical bugs we've been hoping get shipped, in any form...

Yes, they are the same. The two downloaders are identical. Not sure why they changed the date.

27. atomicjoe

atomicjoe

I'll tell you why:
    Unity headquarters, right now...

:D

Roni92pl likes this.
  28. superpig

superpig

As far as I know, it's with QA at the moment, and we're hoping to release it either tomorrow or early next week. We had some infrastructure problems that delayed everything by a week, but they're resolved now.

It's probably a side-effect of the things we were doing to make the main get-unity page update and stop showing the 2017.3 release. Apologies for that - hopefully future releases will go more smoothly.

29. MechEthan

MechEthan

Awesome, thanks much for the update!

30. TooManySugar

TooManySugar

This is an incredibly good news for many.

I got stuck in 4.7 maintaining a project and felt totally let down with UWP integration issues.

Now this wont happen any moar.

31. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Any chance we could get a subforum for LTS, like there is for beta, so we could discuss longstanding bugs and workarounds there that won't get buried by bug posts about whatever the Release version is?

32. MechEthan

MechEthan

Great idea, especially for sharing workarounds.

(I'm so glad the LTS stream is a thing now instead of trying to share workarounds when everyone running a slightly different patch of a different quarterly release with it's own unique behaviors/regressions.)

33. StephanieRowlinson

StephanieRowlinson

We have a product that we've been running on Unity, and upgrading since 3.5 and it hasn't always been easy. I'm really glad to hear about this new structure and expect it'll make life easier for us. :)

I do have a question though, our plan is to use the Tech releases to prototype new features based on the updates and to see what potential problems we'll run into when upgrading to the next LTS. I know there'll be support for upgrading from LTS to LTS version, but what about from LTS to Tech versions? For example if I want to go from 2017.4 to 2018.2 to test some stuff. @superpig

34. superpig

superpig

That sounds like a pretty good plan. Upgrading from LTS to Tech is absolutely supported, and if you run into bugs, we will support you and get them fixed.

MechEthan and StephanieRowlinson like this.
  35. StephanieRowlinson

StephanieRowlinson

Awesome. Time to start plotting some cool new features. :)

36. MagicMiikka

MagicMiikka

I guess the 2017.4.7 was delayed? Do we got any ETA on that?

While there is nothing specific I'd be awaiting a fix for, it is just reassuring to see that there is a constant stream of improvement on the LTS initiative. :)

makeshiftwings and mischa2k like this.
  37. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

38. superpig

superpig

MechEthan likes this.
  39. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

fine, Richard. thank you

inserting 1 bacon.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  40. game_apps

game_apps

@superpig 2017.4.7f1 do not open monodevelop on mac, instead it opens up visual studio despite monodevelop is choosen in "preferences".

41. superpig

superpig

Please file a bug via the Bug Reporter app. I cannot help you with reports made via the forum.

Peter77 likes this.
  42. dri_richard

dri_richard

Hi, any update on this? We're experiencing it in 2017.4 and urgently need a fix. We can't update to 2018.

43. dri_richard

dri_richard

2017.4.8f1 has just been released, and does not contain this fix.

44. superpig

superpig

The PR's now got all the necessary sign-off and is in the queue to be merged. I'll be extremely surprised if it's not in 2017.4.9.

45. dri_richard

dri_richard

2017.4.9 will be the 4th LTS release since this bug was first fixed in 2018.1.5f1. Do you have any insight into why the process took so long?

I can't realistically ask our stakeholders to put up with a broken build for 2-3 weeks more, with no guarantee that a fix will come in 2017.4.9 (and even the promised 2 week cadence has varied). We'll have to find some other workaround. This isn't how I thought LTS would work out for us, it is disappointing.

46. Dennis_eA

Dennis_eA

According to this thread (https://forum.unity.com/threads/unity-and-macos-10-13-high-sierra.474527/) 2017.1.1p3 works on APFS and it does not contain any interpolation errors (issue 971056)

I am currently on High Sierra and 17.1.1p3 and everything works fine so far.
    (My Mac has a fusion drive (not a single SSD), so it didn't auto-update to APFS yet anyway.)

But @dri_richard is right, the whole LTS-project does disappoint in its current form

47. superpig

superpig

Honest but unsatisfying answer: the PR was simply forgotten about for a bit (about a month).

@dri_richard I'm seeing if there's anything we can do to get you a build earlier than 2-3 weeks from now.

48. TanselAltinel

TanselAltinel

49. dri_richard

dri_richard

Thanks, that would be very helpful if it's possible.

50. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

If we can't get a separate subforum, what about something like the Issue Tracker where we can vote on bug fixes that we would like backported to LTS? The current Issue Tracker format doesn't really work for voting on a bug that's already marked as "Fixed in 2018".

Dennis_eA likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.