Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2017.4.23f1 fails to launch on offline machines without a local IP / network adapter

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by cellarmation, Apr 3, 2019.

1. cellarmation

cellarmation

I was trying to run a fresh install of Unity 2017.4.23f1 on a newly installed copy of Windows 10 Pro x64 1809 on a Surface Pro 4 tablet that is offline. The installation was fine, but the initial launch was crippled with various problems. I believe I have got past all of the issues now though, and thought I would post this to help anyone else out in a similar situation:

I was encountering the grey window on the start screen bug which I managed to get over by manually extracting some node_modules packages following the advice here.

After that, on trying to launch a project I would get the "failed to start unity package manager" bug. I tried all of the common advice e.g. checking hosts file has a localhost setting, setting UNITY_NOPROXY to "localhost,127.0.0.1", whitelisting "upm-win.exe". None of this helped.

What I discovered is that plugging in the USB Ethernet adapter that has a static IP address assigned was enough to make the "failed to start unity package manager" problem go away. I also suspect it would have made the original node_modules problem go away too. Without the USB adapter plugged in and with the tablet not conntected to a WiFi network the OS has no valid local IP address. I suspect some of the Unity code expects that a local IP address will exist and is failing when it doesn't.

Hope this helps someone.

2. cellarmation

cellarmation

Correction: You need to be connected to an offline network. Just having a network adapter with a valid IP is not enough.