Search Unity

Official Unity 2017.3 is here!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Jacob_Unity, Dec 19, 2017.

1. interpol_kun

interpol_kun

Hey! When will you update the roadmap? Wanna see future plans for 2018.2 and etc.

2. jdscogin

jdscogin

It has worked in every version until 2017.3. I can't use it as it is. I have to go back to 2017.1 and load the models, save it, then open the project up in 2017.3. Everything is there. Just checked 2018 Beta and it is still broken.

3. methos5k

methos5k

Fair enough, that's interesting that they work in earlier versions. I thought it was Mixamo that changed :)

Did you try the .dae or whatever? I missed a step in my response. First I took the Unity .fbx, just for the model, then the textures from .dae. I don't know if the .dae would have worked on its own, but together I got it working.

4. Jacob_Unity

Jacob_Unity

Administrator

You can check in from time to time - some things might pop up and some might disappear again, as this is the nature of pre-beta workings. We'll most likely have to be closer to the full version of 2018.1 before stuff pops up on the official roadmap, as this is when the next beta starts.

5. enderandpeter

enderandpeter

This totally sucks. I cannot use the latest Unity on Windows because of this problem. I even upgraded to the
    2017.3.0p1 patch and there's still the same issue. I'm not behind a proxy, I'm just using this program at home. I tried adding "update.unity3d.com" to my hosts file and there's no difference.

Unity will open with the last project that was open, but whenever I try to either create or open a new project, Unity quits and I see the message [Package Manager] Server::Kill -- Server was shutdown in the log and a 4KB Unity.exe process hangs forever until I kill it. There's no problem on OS X. Why is this happening?

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  6. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Anti-virus software normally prevents applications to modify the hosts file. If this is actually required, it's going to be an error-prone solution that many users will have problems with.

7. aubergine

aubergine

Very odd bug with 2017.3
    When you select "Maximize On Play" in the editor, it throws either one of these Input.escapekey, menukey, OnApplicationFocus or OnApplicationPause events. Like you maximize the window yourself with the key combination.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  8. enderandpeter

enderandpeter

Update
    So, I'm on Windows 10 and this first happened when I upgraded from Unity 5 to 2017. I'm happy to report that restarting my computer has resulted in the new Unity 2017 finally being able to open and create projects without exiting.

Update 2
    I am sad to report that that I'm still experiencing this problem. Unity behaves as it should when I first restart my computer, but eventually the problem comes back where it cannot open or create projects, leaving a Unity process to hang in the background until I manually kill it. So, I'm only able to use this program as long as I keep restarting my computer... which does suck I must say.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  9. Aedous

Aedous

Anyone else getting a laggy Animator Window? It's fine with a few animations, but slow as hell when using an animator controller with loads of animations! :(

10. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I guess, that's an use-case Unity Technologies never tested. They probably test with a few animations only, thus they never ran into this issue. I came across other performance issues, where the editor does not scale, when "things" get more than a few.

I normally submit a bug-report, following the advice given in this document, to allow UT to test for this case and repair their software if necessary.

11. ttermeer-reboundcg

ttermeer-reboundcg

I am really upset. Ever since Unity 2017.1.1p2 there has been major bug in every version and no patch are released. Instead those bugs are getting fixed in later version, forcing us to upgrade. But every upgrade has it own set of bugs that get pushed back to an other version.

2017.1.1p2 introduced a bug when buttons have more than one action where it gets triggered multiple times. The bug fix was scheduled in Unity 2017.3.
    We had planned to move to 2017.3 to get multiple fix that are not present in 2017.1 (App Store icons, slow running when using ProGuard) but now we get notified from our partner that it has an other blocking bug and it is schedule to be released in 2018.1 - which is too late in our production schedule.
    How come a bug that was reported on Sept. 30th is still present in the 2017.3 release - that's 3 month to fix it.

12. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Unity Technologies tends to fix bugs in their most recent version first, but then back-port those fixes to older versions over time.

You can take a look at the patch releases, which is the fastest way to get your hands on bug fixes:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases

hippocoder likes this.
  13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You need to stick to the version of Unity suitable for your project. For example I know people who stick with 5.6. But that means for their bugfixes, they get backports from 2017.3 (and now 2018.1) in the form of minor version patches, ie 5.6.4 p4 !

You probably know all this but I leave it here in case some don't:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases

That reminds me, time to get 2017.3 patch because I am not brave enough for 2018.1 ;)

Tethys likes this.
  14. ttermeer-reboundcg

ttermeer-reboundcg

But that is the problem. The bug fixes are not being released in patches.
    The bug from 2017.1.1p2 is still present in the latest patch from 2017.1. It is only fixed in Unity 2017.3.

I do agree that the philosophy should be not to upgrade but only to apply patches but right now, we just can't patch or upgrade because there are blocking issues on all versions/patches released.

15. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Welcome to my world...

16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Wow that's a pretty painful world. My world suffers editor crashes every so often instead :/

Peter77 likes this.
  17. LaneFox

LaneFox

Geez. I know this sort of thing happens all over the industry but that sounds like a particularly terrible experience. =/

I'm pretty aggravated I can't even run the new versions because of some new network proxy issue they introduced that never existed before... Literally can't even run it.

Peter77 likes this.
  18. aubergine

aubergine

2017.3 fog is strangely bugged.

When rendering camera is -45 degrees on y axis and +135 degrees on y axis. Fog (any kind) is mis calculated and causes a flash.

EDIT: For a future release, can we have a custom define such as CALCULATE_FOG PERVERTEX per shader or something and change the unity_transfer_fog define to work with it instead of checking
    #if (SHADER_TARGET < 30) || defined(SHADER_API_MOBILE)

for certain effects to be achieved on low poly meshes, this is a must.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
  19. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Hi @Jacob_Unity , didn't know where to ask for help... can you deal with this please.
    The latest 2017.3 patch returns 404 page not found and there is a server error when trying to only download the "Windows" version of the editor executable !

20. Jacob_Unity

Jacob_Unity

Administrator

Hi!

Can you link me the pages where this happens?

21. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  22. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

I am not able to download the latest 2018 beta as well ( just tried ). It loads the same analytics page !

23. Jacob_Unity

Jacob_Unity

Administrator

We're aware that there are some problems right now. Stay tuned.

Vagabond_ likes this.
  24. goran_okomotive

goran_okomotive

Does anybody else experience following issues / troubles with the 2017.3.0p2 version?
    • When a GameObject is selected in the hierarchy view and I press "F" to focus on the object in the scene view, the scene camera zooms out super far for no reason. It's not happening all the time but quite often?

• Did the drawing behavior of gizmo icons and labels changed since 5.6? I have the impression that the scaling of icons according to the zoom level behaves weird and disturbing. The icons are rather to big or to small, it doesn't matter how I change the slider? ;-)

25. FlowingRivers81

FlowingRivers81

One thing i do not understand is why Javascript was taken away!
    I've learned javascript for a long time and now i need to learn C#
    So i got to wait until i've learned C# till i can create a game.

26. jo82

jo82

Wow you just informed me about this, I had no idea really and I've been working with Unity since almost 3 years now...
    I just read this article https://blogs.unity3d.com/2017/08/11/unityscripts-long-ride-off-into-the-sunset/ dated from august and I tried to look around the forum for more info but haven't found anything new about this subject. What I would like to know is how far is Unity from removing Unityscript completely? :(

27. dadude123

dadude123

It's just an objectively worse language for many many things.
    There are some issues with typing, and some things are more difficult than they need to be. There's also the huge ecosystem that C# has that gives it a clear advantage.
    Not to mention the additional overhead of supporting additional languages for no real gain. (Boo, UnityScript)
    Initially it appears "easier", but the issues that come with it are simply not worth it in the long run.

It's understandable that you don't like this, but don't worry! Eventually you'll see that this is for the best.

It's going away pretty soon I guess...
    I remember there being a "you best convert all your code now" post quite some time ago already.
    Maybe in 2018.x already?

28. Miguel_TagaiArts

Miguel_TagaiArts

Hi @Jacob_Unity , is there an ETA for the launch date of Unity 2017.3.1 public release? We are kind of waiting for it to upgrade our project to a version that already contains all the patches and bug fixes applied to 2017.3.0. Thx!

29. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

It's out, in case you didn't see.

Miguel_TagaiArts and ZebecGames like this.
  30. ZebecGames

ZebecGames

How long until this shows up in UCB? I'm still getting builds using 2017.3.0f3 despite targeting latest 2017.3. Tried latest 2017.x too. Thanks!

31. Miguel_TagaiArts

Miguel_TagaiArts

Thanks for the heads-up @superpig we just updated it yesterday :)

superpig likes this.
  32. rastlin

rastlin

Are there any additional fixes in 2017.3.1 compared to 2017.3.0p4?

33. superpig

superpig

Nope; it's just a version number change (and a bit of extra QA).

34. Vagabond_

Vagabond_

Hi, i am having this error in ( i think ) all 2017.x versions. I think is related to the new material import implementation.
    When i set this to the Legacy one ( Use External Materials ) and have the object dragged from the imported model and not a prefab into the scene, when i press "Revert" i always get this error ( currently using 2017.3.1 f1 ):

P.S. - it seams it happens no matter what material import option you choose. It just throws this error:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  35. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

regression: gpu profiler no longer works in the last version

36. v2-Ton-Studios

v2-Ton-Studios

Wanted to add on here. 2017.3's animation editor is unusably slow for me. Is this being addressed?

37. MartinLuke11

MartinLuke11

Any timeframe when will be the next patch ?

38. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

The release schedule of patch releases for their most recent stable version is about once per week, +/- a few days. The last patch was on March 2nd.

39. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

I am allso getting this both in unity 2017.3 and in 2018.1.0b13 It happens when trying to "Revert" to prefab from within a scene. Happens on many objects, but not on all

Here is what I am getting:

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.GetObjectListFromHierarchy (System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] hierarchy, UnityEngine.GameObject gameObject) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/ImportSettings/PrefabUtility.cs:88)
    3. UnityEditor.PrefabUtility.RevertPrefabInstanceWithUndo (UnityEngine.GameObject target) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/ImportSettings/PrefabUtility.cs:182)
    4. UnityEditor.GameObjectInspector.DoPrefabButtons (UnityEditor.PrefabType prefabType, UnityEngine.GameObject go) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/GameObjectInspector.cs:317)
    5. UnityEditor.GameObjectInspector.DrawInspector () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/GameObjectInspector.cs:261)
    6. UnityEditor.GameObjectInspector.OnHeaderGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/GameObjectInspector.cs:171)
    7. UnityEditor.Editor.DrawHeader () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/Editor.cs:428)
    8. UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor[] editors, System.Int32 editorIndex, System.Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1167)
    9. UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditors (UnityEditor.Editor[] editors) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1072)
    10. UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.OnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:412)
    11. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <e1a80661d61443feb3dbdaac88eeb776>:0)
    12. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    13. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <e1a80661d61443feb3dbdaac88eeb776>:0)
    14. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <e1a80661d61443feb3dbdaac88eeb776>:0)
    15. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:291)
    16. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:284)
    17. UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:257)
    18. UnityEditor.DockArea.OldOnGUI () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:386)
    19. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:228)
    20. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:366)
    21. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleEvent (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase evt) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/IMGUIContainer.cs:350)
    22. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventDispatcher.DispatchEvent (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.IPanel panel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/EventDispatcher.cs:215)
    23. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.DoDispatch (UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel panel) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.cs:224)
    24. UnityEngine.Experimental.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/UIElements/UIElementsUtility.cs:77)
    25. UnityEngine.GUIUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Modules/IMGUI/GUIUtility.cs:184)

my prefab is an .fbx entity
    Unticking "import materials" doesn't solve the issue

Submitted bug report case number 1020657

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  40. Deleted User

Deleted User

41. Valdeco

Valdeco

topfreegames, TFGCo4, gallm and 2 others like this.
  42. visualbruno

visualbruno

Can someone explain how an LTS Release can be more recent than the "normal" release ?

43. methos5k

methos5k

I think that the LTS for 2017 begins more or less when 2017 is ending.
    The next normal releases will be the 2018 versions, I believe.

44. theolagendijk

theolagendijk

From the LTS page;
    I was flabbergasted when I discovered the LTS builds ( and that they are more recent and contain a more recent Vuforia SDK than the 2017.3.1 patches ). I now guess that 2017.4.x LTS releases can be seen as additional 2017.3.1 patches.

45. theolagendijk

theolagendijk

My suspicion is now confirmed by this Unity blog post; https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/04/0...g-the-tech-and-long-term-support-lts-streams/
    The 2017.4.x (LTS) releases are indeed 2017.3 patch releases. Good to know.

visualbruno likes this.
  46. Valdeco

Valdeco

Yeah, except that LTS builds will keep being released for 2 years, while 2017.3 patches will be kept only for one year.

They say there'll be new LTS updates every other week. So considering that pace, by the beginning of 2020 they'll release the last 2017.4 update, which will be called 2017.4.47f1. =P

47. superpig

superpig

Actually, we're not doing 2017.3 patches - they'd be exactly the same as the 2017.4 patches, just with a different version number, so...

Valdeco likes this.
  48. Valdeco

Valdeco

Right, that makes sense.