Search Unity

Unity 2017.3.1p3 is getting very slow

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Tharmine02, Apr 18, 2018.

1. Tharmine02

Tharmine02

Hi all,

My version of Unity 2017.3.1p3 has recently become so slow that it is unusable. The frame rate of the viewport and even selecting objects in the hierarchy is terrible, to the point I cannot continue working with it.
    Closing the project take also for ever.
    The same happen with different project, big or small. I am using Collaborate to share the project with my team and Vuforia for AR.
    I need to carry on working to deliver my project to my clients and this is a huge problem for me.

I am running Windows 10,
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Thank you for your help and your input.

Thomas

2. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

You can try the Profiler with the "Profile editor" option enabled to get a better look on what is slowing you down.
    Does is happen with a empty project in the same unity version and the same project in a newer version (2017.4)

3. Tharmine02

Tharmine02

Ok I will monitor that and report back.
    Many thanks

4. Tharmine02

Tharmine02

Hi, so I need help to understand what I read on the Profiler. Can this screenshot be helpfull or can I export a log ?
    If I restart my pc it start ok but the slow down build up over time to the point to make it unusable. If I shut down Unity and restart it still is too slow. If I create a new empty project, it is still too slow.

Thank you Screen Shot 04-18-18 at 03.42 PM.JPG

5. Tharmine02

Tharmine02

Can anybody help me figuring out what is wrong with my Editor and what make it so slow?
    Thank you in advance.

6. OneManBandGames

OneManBandGames

It is a bit hard to tell from the profiler screenshot alone, but the "UpdateSceneIfNeeded" with 92 ms looks very suspicious. When I open a scene that contains a large terrain, vegetation, some objects etc. UpdateSceneIfNeeded logs with 0.01 ms for me.
    Can you run the profiler again when your editor is running slow, then click "Record" again to stop the recording, click somewhere in the graph where it goes past 15 FPS?
    This should put a white bar in the Profiler graph which indicates you are examining the data of the frame where you clicked. Can you then click on UpdateSceneIfNeeded to expand it so we can see what is inside what could cause the problem? Try to expand as many levels as you can fit into the screenshot, but I expect that you can see a single offender within UpdateSceneIfNeeded that takes most of the 92 ms, that could give a clue what causes the issue.
    You can also try to record data with "Deep Profile" enabled, that should allow you to expand even further / see more data but recording will be slower while it is active.

Tharmine02 likes this.
  7. DanjelRicci

DanjelRicci

Same problem here, using 2017.4.2f2 LTS running on OSX 10.13.4. Editor goes like 1-2 fps (not lying!), then magically runs fine if I disable internet connection. I bet it's a new Collab problem. It's always the Collab. :p
    This doesn't happen all the time, but surely happens a lot, I dunno why. It also works almost fine when playing, but performance doesn't look the same as I were used to, I get constant stutters.

This issue is not being found by the profiler anyways. Even while going that slow, Profiler says the Editor is running at 150-200 fps (the usual for me). This wasn't happening with 2017.3.1p4, before I updated this morning.
    Hoping for a really quick fix since we are working on a online-only project and we really need to stay connected to do anything...

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    Lu4e likes this.
  8. CaranElmoth

CaranElmoth

Seems like @DanjelRicci is right: turning off collaborate solves the problem.

This needs to be fixed really asap.

9. karsnen

karsnen

I'll add to this list as well. Have the same problem.

Platform is Mac OS and Unity Version : 2017.4.8f1

Visual studio editor is too laggy.