Search Unity

Unity 2017.2.0 Crashes On Project Init

Discussion in 'Linux' started by xeetsh, Oct 22, 2017.

1. xeetsh

xeetsh

Hello everyone,

I've came across a weird error in unity 2017.2.0 on Arch Linux. If i want Unity to load my project Unity crashes with the following error message in it's log:

The full log can be found here.

The error occurs not always but most of the time and is reproducible on every Arch Linux system but not on Windows. Other Unity projects are working just fine on my system and also older revisions of the same project work.

Is it known if any dependency is responsible for compiling the 'Assembly-CSharp-firstpass.dll' or is this a job done by Unity itself? I assume it could be an updated dependency...? I also have no idea which role CEF plays in all of these.

If you need any additional information about my project feel free to ask.

Thank you all in advance for your help. I would be so happy if we could fix that.

2. Tak

Tak

Hm, this crash seems to be in the CEF/Unity glue layer for the home window.
    Is it possible that you have some chrome/chromium extensions installed that could be affecting this?

xeetsh likes this.
  3. xeetsh

xeetsh

Thanks for your reply!
    I've just checked and sadly the error still occurs even with every Chromium extension disabled. I've also tried running Unity with Chromium uninstalled but there seem to be no difference.

4. Tak

Tak

New question: are you by any chance clicking multiple times on the project entry in the home window?

xeetsh likes this.
  5. xeetsh

xeetsh

Well I have no idea how to feel about this solution. But i guess i was double clicking on the entry. This fixed it!

Thank you so much! Even if the solution was extremely simple, I've learned that Arch may not be the best production environment (Although it wasn't Arches fault...).

Thank you again! Now i can finally work on my project again!

binyamina likes this.
  6. leonid_umanskiy_aofl

leonid_umanskiy_aofl

We have the same exact problem with 2017.2.0f3 when we open our project in batch mode (-batchmode -nograpgics). -quit flag fixes it, but we can't run editor tests because you can't combine -runTests and -quit flags (tests won't run).

However, using xvfb-run to run Unity solves this problem in some cases (but not all of them).

It also seems that this problem is project specific. This crash doesn't happen if we open an empty project but does happen when we open a larger project.

7. Tak

Tak

Well - this is more of a workaround than a fix. I have fixed a crash that results from multiclicking on project entries (what happens is that the home window gets destroyed while the click callbacks are still coming in, and we weren't validating things strictly enough) - I just wanted to make sure that was the crash you were encountering.

8. Tak

Tak

Today, you do need a valid X environment to run Unity on Linux, even in batch mode (hence xvfb-run).

However, this sounds like a different issue than @xeetsh was experiencing - could you file a bug report with steps to reproduce the problem? (In one of the cases where using xvfb-run doesn't avert the crash)

9. jeppeman

jeppeman

This happens to as well, however, the one-click solution does not work for me. It doesn't crash if I create and open a new project; but when I open the project I mainly work on at the moment it crashes.
    Running via command line doesn't help either (/opt/Unity/Editor/Unity -projectPath $(pwd)).

Here is the editor log and a crash dump.

UPDATE:

The same thing happens with 2017.1.2f1, but not with 2017.1.1f1.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  10. Tak

Tak

The attached editor log is empty.

Can you file a bug report with your project?
    (Edit: If your project is using Unity IAP, the crash is known and fixes are coming both to Unity and the IAP package)

11. bsdunx

bsdunx

This crash happens for me with latest Linux release. Single click works around it. I was able to reproduce it in an empty project which is not using IAP. It seems there is a race condition and multiple OpenProject commands are dispatched. Further investigation indicated that there are numerous race conditions and usage of uninitialized variables after a cursory glance with valgrind over 1000 errors were reported.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  12. jeppeman

jeppeman

@Tak, yes, the project is using Unity IAP; I'll stay put for some updates then! Thanks alot.

13. alexey9688

alexey9688

I'm having a similar problem: I got a couple of work projects done with windows editor 2017.2.0 and on windows they all work just fine, but on linux(some of them, not all) after the "hold on" process unity crashes with the final line in editor.log same as thread starter's.This one click trick won't help so far.

My log can be found here: https://pastebin.com/NYmuYEBH

Projects do indeed use unity IAP, but manual deleting of uiap files from the project doesn't help to see the editor window/open project al least.

Additionally, when I've tried to open a project with 2017.3.b1 I got an infinity loop on "importing small assets" with editor.log growing in size over time(and as I can see in log file it's just recalculating timestamps in loop). (log file can be found here: https://ufile.io/937pr )

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017