Search Unity

Unity 2017.1.1 and VS 2017 "Project Target Framework Not Installed"

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by OwenG, Sep 21, 2017.

1. OwenG

OwenG

Hi,

I've been reading through past threads about a similar error message from previous versions of Unity. I've just upgraded to Unity 2017.1.1 from 5.5 and I'm trying to get VS 2017 to work. But when I launch it, I get this message:
    vs2017Warning.png
    I looked at this thread, which has a similar message: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/1132048/unity-531-and-visual-studio-2015-project-target-fr.html
    and it suggested installing .NET 3.5. I'm running Windows 10, 64-bit, and when I check, it says .NET 3.5 is already installed on my machine. I have also checked that I have .NET 4.0 installed.

At this point I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both Unity and VS 2017 (with lots of rebooting). Everything loads fine in MonoDevelop, but I would prefer to use VS, if at all possible.

Is anyone else running into this when upgrading to 2017? Anyone have any suggestions for how to proceed?

Thanks!
    Owen

IgorAherne and manoj514 like this.
  2. Xype

Xype

1 are you just opening VS and trying to open the sln project? Or are you opening unity then double clicking or choosing to edit script from inside unity which fires up VS?

Second make sure edit -> preferences in unity has visual studio set for the external editor, and check the box for attach editor

Last what happens when you click the radio for Download the targeting pack? as it is trying to do unity subset v3.5 not v3.5....

Ash-Blue likes this.
  3. OwenG

OwenG

Yup, I've got the unity editor preferences set to Visual Studio 2017 (Community Edition) and Attach Editor is checked:
    unityPrefs.png
    Then I'm doing Assets -> Open C# Project to open the solution in VS. I've also tried double-clicking scripts and I get the same result when it tried to load the projects inside the solution.

If I select the Download option, it opens the msn.com home page, which is not very helpful. ;)

4. Xype

Xype

For grins and giggles, check your build settings (or alternatively edit->project settings-> player) in Unity and see if it is set to .net 2.0 Subset. If it is try changing it to just .net 2.0

No personal issues with VS 2017 myself on this one, but I did have an issue with the exact same problem when I set up Jetbrains Rider, and switching to .net 2.0 fixed it. Ill keep trying to help ya get through this! Using an IDE you are familiar with is important, however I will plug something awesome real quick.... http://u3d.as/2ZC Script inspector 3, has the intellisense, works right inside unity no swapping, never regretted a moment of that purchase. Sometimes for big scripts I still like to go to my favorite IDE, but for quick changes you can't beat being right inside a unity tab.

Flipbookee likes this.
  5. Xype

Xype

FYI I am updating VS 2017 right now, so I am thinking helping you might get me a jumpstart if that is where the issue hits :)

6. Xype

Xype

7. OwenG

OwenG

Thanks for the help, Xype. :)

Yeah, I installed 2017 via the Unity installer. But I had tried installing the 2015 unity tools as well. It didn't help. They were already installed anyway from using VS 2015 with Unity 5.x.

I just tried the .Net 2.0 thing and that didn't fix it.

I do prefer VS, but I used MD for a number of years on Mac before I switched my primary dev to PC. I've gone back to using MD for now, I'm just having to relearn all the keyboard shortcuts. ;) Maybe I'll just wait until we update to 2017.2 or .3 and see if the problem goes away. ;)

8. ikriz

ikriz

Problem for me on Windows 10 was that the .Net 3.5 Framework wasn't actually installed. After installing that windows feature it works fine.
    VSTU Requires .NET 3.5 to be installed

9. sseritan

sseritan

After installing both VSTU2015 and .NET 3.5, it started working for me! Thanks Xype and ikriz!

10. KaosLabs

KaosLabs

Any tips on how to install .NET 3.5 on windows 10? I keep getting errors that install cannot be completed (Error Code 0x800F081F). Microsoft recommends downloading a windows iso and using cmd inputs to install this version. Is this all necessary?

If I select to build from .NET 4.6.1, I can code and compile, but intellisense doesn't recognize any unity features.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
  11. sotteson

sotteson

I've got the same issue on one Windows 10 box and not the other. Both have .NET 3.5 installed as far as I can tell. I'm not sure what the problem is.

IgorAherne likes this.
  12. Leyvin

Leyvin

Run the Visual Studio 2017 Installer App... go into "Modify" and "Individual Components"
    Scroll down to the .NET Section,.
    Just makes sure that you have:

.NET Core Runtime
    .NET v3.5 Development Tools
    *ALL* .NET Targeting Packages (don't worry Unity will always select the latest, this is just for compatibility)
    .NET Native
    .NET Portable Library Targeting Package

Scroll down to Compiler, Build Tools and Runtimes:
    .NET Compiler Platform Package

Scroll down to Games and Graphics
    Visual Studio Tools for Unity (ignore the Editor, it's better to 3rd Party Install; else it breaks Unity Hub)

Also make sure you have Windows 10 SDK UWP (C#) both 15063 and 16299 are installed.
    I know, I know "But Unity doesn't need 15063" … and you're right it shouldn't NEED to be installed., but if you don't it can throw a fit claiming that no SDK or Runtimes are installed if you don't have at least 2 of the Windows 10 SDK installed.

It's a known issue with Unity + Visual Studio 2017., but as best I can tell no one is quite sure if it's an issue with Unity or Visual Studio causing it.

13. manoj514

manoj514

me tooo.

14. LeopardX

LeopardX

This fixed it for me, thankies @Leyvin

15. Hukha

Hukha

This one, perfect response.
    Install all and all works perfectly.
    Thanks